Alex Hayne

Default Opus One 1991

Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday and I'm
planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one, which were
both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please? I contracted the
Mondavi website and it suggests that the wine is drinking beautifully now.
Should I wait a year or two more or is now the right time?
Can anyone please also enlighten me as to the ageing potential of Zinfandel?
From my limited experience, the Zins I have tried are at their best at
around 5 years old, being integrated, fruity and powerful but without
becoming tired and ummm stewed if thats the right term.
The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of ridge lytton springs 1999
zins that are calling me and I'm wondering if I should keep one stashed for
a while.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Alex from darkest dorset

StocksRus®

"Alex Hayne" > wrote in
:

> Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday
> and I'm planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one,
> which were both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
> Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please? I contracted
> the Mondavi website and it suggests that the wine is drinking
> beautifully now. Should I wait a year or two more or is now the right
> time? Can anyone please also enlighten me as to the ageing potential
> of Zinfandel? From my limited experience, the Zins I have tried are at
> their best at around 5 years old, being integrated, fruity and
> powerful but without becoming tired and ummm stewed if thats the right
> term. The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of ridge lytton
> springs 1999 zins that are calling me and I'm wondering if I should
> keep one stashed for a while.
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Alex from darkest dorset

I had a 94 Opus last month and it was pretty good. Allow ample time for
it to stand.

--
StocksRus®

StocksRus®

"Alex Hayne" > wrote in
:

> Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday
> and I'm planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one,
> which were both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
> Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please? I contracted
> the Mondavi website and it suggests that the wine is drinking
> beautifully now. Should I wait a year or two more or is now the right
> time? Can anyone please also enlighten me as to the ageing potential
> of Zinfandel? From my limited experience, the Zins I have tried are at
> their best at around 5 years old, being integrated, fruity and
> powerful but without becoming tired and ummm stewed if thats the right
> term. The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of ridge lytton
> springs 1999 zins that are calling me and I'm wondering if I should
> keep one stashed for a while.
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Alex from darkest dorset

I had a 94 Opus last month and it was pretty good. Allow ample time for
it to stand.

--
StocksRus®

RV WRLee

>Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday and I'm
>planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one, which were
>both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
>Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please?

Drink up. I tasted the '91 Opus recently in a blind tasting of '91 California
cabernets and blends and it was beginning to fade. FWIW, Shafer Hillside
Select, BV Georges de la Tour, Mondavi Reserve, Caymus SS and Cardinale all
scored higher. The bottles were from different cellaring conditions so there
was no doubt som variation due to storage differences.
Bi!!
RV WRLee

>Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday and I'm
>planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one, which were
>both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
>Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please?

Drink up. I tasted the '91 Opus recently in a blind tasting of '91 California
cabernets and blends and it was beginning to fade. FWIW, Shafer Hillside
Select, BV Georges de la Tour, Mondavi Reserve, Caymus SS and Cardinale all
scored higher. The bottles were from different cellaring conditions so there
was no doubt som variation due to storage differences.
Bi!!

Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:02:39 +0100, "Alex Hayne"
> wrote:

>Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday and I'm
>planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one, which were
>both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
>Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please? I contracted the
>Mondavi website and it suggests that the wine is drinking beautifully now.
>Should I wait a year or two more or is now the right time?
>Can anyone please also enlighten me as to the ageing potential of Zinfandel?
>From my limited experience, the Zins I have tried are at their best at
>around 5 years old, being integrated, fruity and powerful but without
>becoming tired and ummm stewed if thats the right term.
>The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of ridge lytton springs 1999
>zins that are calling me and I'm wondering if I should keep one stashed for
>a while.

I skipped most of the '99 Ridge, except for two bottles of the Dusi
Ranch. My notes showed that the wine showed a bit flat and sweetish,
very similar to a "late-picked" style when I tasted in 2001. I seem to
recall that '98 and '99 were a bit weak.

Typically Ridge Zins will do quite well for ten years and more. I'm
just running out of '96 and '97 Geyserville and they are excellent
without a hint of fading. (Of course, those were two very good years
in the decade.)

You could hold your '99 Lyttons for a while or you could drink them
now without hesitation. It's your call.

BTW, Ridge just released the fall Zin-List wines: Geyserville, Pagani
Ranch Late-Picked, and York Creek Late-Picked 2002. Gotta taste them
soon so that I can buy a case or two. Will report upon completion of
my duty!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:02:39 +0100, "Alex Hayne"
> wrote:

>Having survived the dreaded 40th last year, my 41st looms on Tuesday and I'm
>planning to open one of my only two bottles of 1991 Opus one, which were
>both purchased during my heady pre-mortgage years...sigh
>Has anyone any recent tasting notes on the above please? I contracted the
>Mondavi website and it suggests that the wine is drinking beautifully now.
>Should I wait a year or two more or is now the right time?
>Can anyone please also enlighten me as to the ageing potential of Zinfandel?
>From my limited experience, the Zins I have tried are at their best at
>around 5 years old, being integrated, fruity and powerful but without
>becoming tired and ummm stewed if thats the right term.
>The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of ridge lytton springs 1999
>zins that are calling me and I'm wondering if I should keep one stashed for
>a while.

I skipped most of the '99 Ridge, except for two bottles of the Dusi
Ranch. My notes showed that the wine showed a bit flat and sweetish,
very similar to a "late-picked" style when I tasted in 2001. I seem to
recall that '98 and '99 were a bit weak.

Typically Ridge Zins will do quite well for ten years and more. I'm
just running out of '96 and '97 Geyserville and they are excellent
without a hint of fading. (Of course, those were two very good years
in the decade.)

You could hold your '99 Lyttons for a while or you could drink them
now without hesitation. It's your call.

BTW, Ridge just released the fall Zin-List wines: Geyserville, Pagani
Ranch Late-Picked, and York Creek Late-Picked 2002. Gotta taste them
soon so that I can buy a case or two. Will report upon completion of
my duty!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Mark Lipton

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> You could hold your '99 Lyttons for a while or you could drink them
> now without hesitation. It's your call.
>
> BTW, Ridge just released the fall Zin-List wines: Geyserville, Pagani
> Ranch Late-Picked, and York Creek Late-Picked 2002. Gotta taste them
> soon so that I can buy a case or two. Will report upon completion of
> my duty!

Please do, Ed!!

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> You could hold your '99 Lyttons for a while or you could drink them
> now without hesitation. It's your call.
>
> BTW, Ridge just released the fall Zin-List wines: Geyserville, Pagani
> Ranch Late-Picked, and York Creek Late-Picked 2002. Gotta taste them
> soon so that I can buy a case or two. Will report upon completion of
> my duty!

Please do, Ed!!

Mark Lipton

2000 Opus One and 2001 Sassicaia Bi!! Wine 1 23-12-2016 09:22 AM
1998 Opus One Bi!! Wine 12 13-07-2009 04:32 PM
1998 Opus One Bi!! Wine 12 21-11-2007 06:14 AM
Opus, Rothschild, and other rare wines CF Perez Wine 2 25-12-2003 02:35 AM
Opus One (and more) Collection for sale: 126 bottles CF Perez General 0 19-12-2003 12:10 PM