Vincent

Default A few Sauternes questions

I won an auction the other day, where I obtained a few bottles of 1983
Chteau Climens Sauternes. I plan on serving it with some foie gras, which I
am having prepared. When I opened the box the wine was shipped in, I
discovered that both bottles had round disks of debris in them, probably
something that detached from the cork during shipment. Is this normal, or
something I should be worried about?

I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I noticed
that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?

Thanks in advance

Sammy

"Vincent" > wrote in message
> I won an auction the other day, where I obtained a few bottles of 1983
> Chteau Climens Sauternes. I plan on serving it with some foie gras, which

> am having prepared. When I opened the box the wine was shipped in, I
> discovered that both bottles had round disks of debris in them, probably
> something that detached from the cork during shipment. Is this normal, or
> something I should be worried about?
>
> I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I

noticed
> that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Vincent

Are the disks about the same diameter as the cork? The best I can come up
with is that they're tartrate crystals that have become dislodged from the
cork. Just a guess: I've never seen that but I suppose it's possible,
epecially if the wine's been laying down for some time and then got a good
shake up on the way to auction. Nothing to worry about but you might want to
let the wine convalesce after it's bottle shock, for a couple of weeks
before you open it.

Cheers
Sammy

Sammy

"Vincent" > wrote in message
> I won an auction the other day, where I obtained a few bottles of 1983
> Chteau Climens Sauternes. I plan on serving it with some foie gras, which

> am having prepared. When I opened the box the wine was shipped in, I
> discovered that both bottles had round disks of debris in them, probably
> something that detached from the cork during shipment. Is this normal, or
> something I should be worried about?
>
> I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I

noticed
> that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Vincent

Are the disks about the same diameter as the cork? The best I can come up
with is that they're tartrate crystals that have become dislodged from the
cork. Just a guess: I've never seen that but I suppose it's possible,
epecially if the wine's been laying down for some time and then got a good
shake up on the way to auction. Nothing to worry about but you might want to
let the wine convalesce after it's bottle shock, for a couple of weeks
before you open it.

Cheers
Sammy

Steve Slatcher

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:56:06 GMT, "Vincent" >
wrote:

>I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I noticed
>that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?

Maybe the person responsible for that chart didn't know about those
vintages. You really need to be asking them the question. FWIW a few
seconds googling ("vintage chart sauternes") revealed:
http://www.wine-storage.com/vintagechart.html
with info on 1993 and 1994.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Steve Slatcher

wrote:

>I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I noticed
>that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?

Maybe the person responsible for that chart didn't know about those
vintages. You really need to be asking them the question. FWIW a few
seconds googling ("vintage chart sauternes") revealed:
http://www.wine-storage.com/vintagechart.html
with info on 1993 and 1994.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

sibeer

I pulled this from the Wine Spectator. Hope it helps.

Winery: Chteau Climens
Wine: Barsac 1983
Sco 95
Cellar Selection
Price: $50
Country: France

Region: Sauternes

Issue: Jan 31, 1988

Add to Wine List

Beautifully crafted, plump, very long and complex. Medium gold, lush
and si lky, with lemon, fig, apricot, pear, and a particularly elegant
balance of acidity, fruit and wood. Power and finesse in the same package.
Drink now through 2000.

"Vincent" > wrote in message
> I won an auction the other day, where I obtained a few bottles of 1983
> Chteau Climens Sauternes. I plan on serving it with some foie gras, which

> am having prepared. When I opened the box the wine was shipped in, I
> discovered that both bottles had round disks of debris in them, probably
> something that detached from the cork during shipment. Is this normal, or
> something I should be worried about?
>
> I was looking at a vintage chart for Sauternes the other day, and I

noticed
> that 1993 and 1994 were not present. Why?
>
> Thanks in advance

sibeer

TN SFWS Sauternes JT Wine 0 12-11-2009 04:46 PM
Sauternes cshubs Wine 1 27-09-2009 07:02 AM
How long do I refrigerate a Sauternes? [email protected] Wine 14 13-04-2006 09:14 AM
Anyone going for '03 Sauternes futures? Jaybert41 Wine 1 01-05-2004 01:06 PM
Is my Sauternes damaged?? LZYLTNING Wine 4 24-02-2004 03:06 PM