Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sauternes

I've only tried 2 Sauternes. The 1st time, I was like, Why didn't
anybody tell me about this before?!?! It tasted like gold would taste.
Profoundly wonderful. Now I have 2 splits of 2005 Rayne Vigneau. I
intend to open one at Thanksgiving, so my kin can try, but will hold on
to the other one as long as I can. I also have a bottle of 1990
Suduiraut that was giving as a gift by a French coworker a couple years
ago. It's color is already a gorgeous dark amber, but I'll wait as long
as I can, possibly til after I get my (2nd) degree, which I just started.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"cshubs" > wrote in message
> I've only tried 2 Sauternes. The 1st time, I was like, Why didn't
> anybody tell me about this before?!?! It tasted like gold would taste.
> Profoundly wonderful. Now I have 2 splits of 2005 Rayne Vigneau. I
> intend to open one at Thanksgiving, so my kin can try, but will hold on
> to the other one as long as I can. I also have a bottle of 1990
> Suduiraut that was giving as a gift by a French coworker a couple years
> ago. It's color is already a gorgeous dark amber, but I'll wait as long
> as I can, possibly til after I get my (2nd) degree, which I just started.

We have a small supply of 1962 Suduiraut we have cellared for many years. A
recent taste was wonderful. Sauternes age far more than a wine with the same
alcohol content, but without any residual sugar. This also true of Ports,
even more so, as they have residual sugar and 18% alcohol. I recently
uncorked a 1963 port. The 45 year old cork came smoothly in one piece. I
think one could argue that 1963 was the best vintage in the 20th century for
port. The British certainly knew what they were doing when they bought all
that land in Portugal.

Ed

Chateau Les Mingets Sauternes cruciverbalist Wine 0 29-03-2015 10:58 PM
TN SFWS Sauternes JT Wine 0 12-11-2009 04:46 PM
A few Sauternes questions Vincent Wine 6 25-07-2004 03:46 AM
Anyone going for '03 Sauternes futures? Jaybert41 Wine 1 01-05-2004 01:06 PM
Is my Sauternes damaged?? LZYLTNING Wine 4 24-02-2004 03:06 PM