Dale Williams

Default TN: Wine with taxes (Chablis winner)

Friday we went over to our accountant's home for dinner. Our tradition is to
have a nice dinner, then sit down for tax time (we had an extension). Before
dinner and into the gazpacho first course (I didn't choose my accountant based
on his gazpacho recipe, but it wouldn't be a bad criterion), we enjoyed the
2002 Gilbert Picq & Ses Fils"Vosgros" Chablis 1er Cru. Flint, flowers, and a
hint of herbs on the nose, citrusy fruit and plenty of acidity. No sign of oak.
Long finish, this is infanticide, but fun nonetheless. Great deal at $20. A-

Jim had picked up some Texas-style BBQ ribs and sides, and we had the 1999
Caparzo Rosso di Montalcino. Nicely balanced wine, deep black cherry fruit
fruit offset by a nicely prickly acidity. Some earth and leather. A wine I'm
sorry to see the end of (I think I paid $12-13 about 2 years ago). B++

After taxes, a nice assortment of cheese. Ah, the painless way to do taxes.

Saturday we drove up to Rhinebeck/Annandale, where Betsy was playing a
mini-concert in the new hall at Bard. Great music, despite the strange combo of
instruments - there's not a varied repetoire for flute, 'cello, and piano. But
the Fauré Pavane was divine, and they did a great job on movements from a Bach
Sonata and the Weber Trio. Afterwards we went into Rhinebeck for dinner.
Unfortunately, the flutist hadn't made reservations, so we ended up in our 3rd
choice restautant, the Beekman Arms("Oldest inn in US"). My job was to pick one
wine, off a limited list (with no vintages listed), to match some very varied
choices (prime rib, red snapper, strip steak, and my so-so pork tenderloin with
bourbon glaze). As lone geek, I didn't want to get into long series of asking
waiter to check vintages, so went with the safest choice, the Brolio Chianti
Classico (turned out to be 2001). Pleasant medium-bodied Chianti, a nice nose
of flowers and dried cherries. A bit short on the finish, but not bad. $34 on
the list. B

Sunday some friends came over, I knew one heavily prefers reds, so decanted a
1999 Ch. Ste. Colombe (Côtes de Castillon). Nice nose with some moderate oak,
red fruit, and a touch of earth/minerals. On the palate medium-bodied with nice
plummy Merlot fruit. Decent finish, a good example of an inexpensive ($10)
fairly international Right Bank satellite wine. B+

With the chicken tikka, a choice of whites. The 1999 Joh. Jos. Prüm Riesling
Kabinett (this is the estate version, no vineyard designation) was a bit
rounder than I prefer my Riesling, but a nice wine nonetheless. Apple and
grapefruit, some minerality on the finish. Just a bit more zip to counter the
RS would have been welcome. I think I paid $10. B

2003 Neil Ellis Sauvignon Blanc (Groenekloof , South Africa). Gooseberries,
kiwis, citrus, and a little grass. Good finish, good acidity. Isn't this a NZ
SB in disguise? A winner at $12. Not as good a match (as one might suspect)
with the chicken or the assorted Indian sides and relishes, but I think I liked
wine a bit better. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply