Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Portugese wine (NYT Panel tasting winner for <$10)

A couple weeks ago the NYT ran a tasting panel report on "under $10
reds." I glanced, but didn't pay a lot of attention, as panel tastings
never
really seem to do it for me (as they tend to stay for the safest
choices- does anyone remember the Neil Young quote re Heart of Gold-
something along the lines "this put me in middle of road, but I headed
back for the ditch- rougher ride, but more interesting" - panel
tasting winner seldom offend, but seldom blow my socks off). But I did
like Florence Fabricant's suggestion for a dish to serve with
inexpensive reds:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/di...tml?ref=dining

A skirt steak with tri-color peppers. So when Betsy asked if I could
take care of an early dinner Sat, I said sure. Got my steak and other
ingredients, plus some baby bak choy. Thought I'd serve an Iche
Heretiques or ESJ Shadow. But stopping off in a wine store for some
assorted cheapies, I see a shelf-talker for "#1 Wine in NYTimes
Tasting of Under-$10 reds." The 2002 Casa Cadaval "Padre
Pedro" ( Ribatejano) at $5.99- who could resist? So took home, served
with the skirt steak. Juicy red berry and cherry fruit, a little
pepper and oregano, ripe and tasty if a tad short. Label says Cabernet
Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Trincadeira, and Castelao. Never heard of
latter two, and doesn't taste much like first two. But certainly a
friendly little wine, could do battle with most $10 Languedocs. If
still there when I go back in area I'll grab another couple, at about
$5 with mixed case discount its certainly worth having around for a
cooking or big party wine, but won't make an effort. B-

Dish is actually pretty good, will try again with maybe a CdR or
Vacqueyras.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency