Mark Lipton

Default Lafite to buy Chalone group?

It appears that Ch. Lafite is considering establising its presence in CA
through purchase of the Chalone group:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/18/business/18wine.html

[Free registration required to read this]

Interestingly, the Rothschilds' partner in this buyout would be
Constellation, owner of Hardy's, Nobilo, Franciscan and Canandaigua (a
bulk wine producer). The long-range goal appears to be the
establishment of a Napa Valley arm of Lafite that incorporates vineyards
from both Chalone and Franciscan. As a byproduct, they would also gain
minority control of Duhart-Milon...

Mark Lipton
Cggeorgecox

>It appears that Ch. Lafite is considering establising its presence in CA
>through purchase of the Chalone group:
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/18/business/18wine.html
>
>[Free registration required to read this]
>
>Interestingly, the Rothschilds' partner in this buyout would be
>Constellation, owner of Hardy's, Nobilo, Franciscan and Canandaigua (a
>bulk wine producer). The long-range goal appears to be the
>establishment of a Napa Valley arm of Lafite that incorporates vineyards
>from both Chalone and Franciscan. As a byproduct, they would also gain
>minority control of Duhart-Milon...
>
>Mark Lipton

Canandaigua is a part of the Constellation wine group if I'm not mistaken (and
they already own Franciscan for years according to the Barton Brand people I've
been waiting on (serving in a restaurant) for about four years now).
As of the purchase of the Chalone group, I just heard this yeaterday from the
Chalone Distributor in my area.
The guys from Constellation tell me they are the largest wine distributors in
the world and second in the U.S. behind Gallo.

The anectdotal part of this is why I replied to this thread. These guys were in
my restaurant and were drinking the Chalone pinot noir purchased by one of
their vendors (they usually drink their own stuff like Simi, Franciscan,
Ravenswood etc.). To make along story short I suggested they purchase the
Chalone Group so they can enjoy it anytime they come in to the restaurant. LOL.

George Cox
Bill

Cggeorgecox wrote:

> The guys from Constellation tell me they are the largest wine distributors in
> the world and second in the U.S. behind Gallo.

I would have thought that if they were the largest in the world
that would include the US also.
I think South Corp has surpassed Gallo as of last September in
both vineyard acres and gallons of wine made. That should make
them the biggest in the world.

Cggeorgecox

>> The guys from Constellation tell me they are the largest wine distributors
>in
>> the world and second in the U.S. behind Gallo.

>I would have thought that if they were the largest in the world
>that would include the US also.
>I think South Corp has surpassed Gallo as of last September in
>both vineyard acres and gallons of wine made. That should make
>them the biggest in the world.

Just quoting the guys from constellation. I'll ask them next time they are in.

George

TN: Chalone Vineyard Estate Pinot Blanc 1993 cwdjrxyz Wine 0 09-02-2013 12:33 AM
TN Chalone Vineyard Pinot Blanc Estate, 1992 & Montelle Peach Eau DeVie cwdjrxyz Wine 3 28-07-2008 08:51 PM
Chalone, changed my mind Joseph Coulter[_2_] Wine 7 16-07-2007 04:17 PM
Lafite Monteil Ian B Wine 4 27-11-2006 08:56 PM
1990 Lafite Rich Ryan Wine 4 25-05-2006 05:04 AM