Me

Default what temperature

I've obtained a bottle of fine white wine - Chevalier-Montrachet 1990
Domaine Bouchard Pere &Fils

What temperature should this be served at? Or does it matter?

Anders Tørneskog

"Me" > skrev i melding
> I've obtained a bottle of fine white wine - Chevalier-Montrachet 1990
> Domaine Bouchard Pere &Fils
>
> What temperature should this be served at? Or does it matter?

It does really matter, yes. Top Bourgogne should not be chilled to death -
14C (57F) should be fine.
Anders

MAUOMBO

I agree it should not be chilled to death - 12C should be fine

MAUOMBO

Tom S

"Me" > wrote in message
> I've obtained a bottle of fine white wine - Chevalier-Montrachet 1990
> Domaine Bouchard Pere &Fils
>
> What temperature should this be served at? Or does it matter?

I agree with the other respondents. Refrigerator temperature - or even
worse - ice bucket temperature is 'way too cold. I'd go a little warmer
than either of them though. Something like cellar temperature would be
good - say 15 to 17°C to start, perhaps warming a bit from there, but not in
excess of 20°C.

Tom S

MAUOMBO

> good - say 15 to 17°C to start, perhaps warming a bit from there, but not
in
> excess of 20°C.
>
> Tom S

You dont think you run the risk of guests complaining of it being "not cold
enough" at 17 C???

Depends on your guests, I suppose, but I would have thought most people who
arent that exposed to a lot of wine would drink it straight from the fridge
(say 4C) and so suddenly being served it at 17C might shock them!!!

MAUOMBO

MAUOMBO

P.S. just realised that I didnt actually say why it shouldnt be too cold...

if it is too cold, one cant taste all the flavours - same goes for a lot of
foods eg cheese. Many people eat cheese from the fridge and if you do then
you miss half the flavour!

Bas van Beek

MAUOMBO schreef:

> P.S. just realised that I didnt actually say why it shouldnt be too cold...
>
> if it is too cold, one cant taste all the flavours - same goes for a lot of
> foods eg cheese. Many people eat cheese from the fridge and if you do then
> you miss half the flavour!

I agree although I must warn for drinking the wine too warm. Aroma's
tend to get overwhelming and sharp and the taste might get to
"alcoholic". I'd serve this wine at 14 degrees celcius. Or decant it a
lower temperature and let it heat up a little.

Bas
Steve Slatcher

On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:45:24 +0200, Bas van Beek >
wrote:

>Or decant it a
>lower temperature and let it heat up a little.

I think it is an obvious point that is often ignored - if you serve a
chilled wine, it is going to warm up before it is drunk. Even with
insulated bottles holders, the wine will warm in the glass - and
guests that want warmer wine can accelerate this process by holding
the glass. For this reason I would always want to err on the
cooler-side with wines that need chilling.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Me

Thanks for all the replies

congokid

In message >, Steve Slatcher
> writes
>On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:45:24 +0200, Bas van Beek >
>wrote:
>
>>Or decant it a
>>lower temperature and let it heat up a little.

>I think it is an obvious point that is often ignored - if you serve a
>chilled wine, it is going to warm up before it is drunk. Even with
>insulated bottles holders, the wine will warm in the glass - and
>guests that want warmer wine can accelerate this process by holding
>the glass. For this reason I would always want to err on the
>cooler-side with wines that need chilling.

In a restaurant in La Rioja where I dined last weekend the dining room
seemed very cold, and the bottle of red wine we ordered was practically
chilled, even though the suggested serving temperature on the label was
18-19C.

I've been served slightly chilled red wine before in Mallorca, where the
bottles develop a film of condensation as they arrive at the table, but
in high summer it warms quite quickly once it's in the glass.

However, in the restaurant in Ezcaray, there was no such chance. The
dining room warmed slightly as more diners arrived, but still couldn't
have been more than 11-12C, and I and my companions had to try and warm
the wine glasses in our hands - which worked to some extent and helped
develop the flavours.

Is serving red wine chilled common practice in Spain, and is it for a
reason or do they just store all the wine together to save on space?

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

Emery Davis

On Sat, 08 May 2004 03:33:45 GMT, "Tom S" > said:

]=20
] "Me" > wrote in message
] ...
] > I've obtained a bottle of fine white wine - Chevalier-Montrachet 1990
] > Domaine Bouchard Pere &Fils
] >
] > What temperature should this be served at? Or does it matter?
]=20
] I agree with the other respondents. Refrigerator temperature - or even
] worse - ice bucket temperature is 'way too cold. I'd go a little warmer
] than either of them though. Something like cellar temperature would be
] good - say 15 to 17=B0C to start, perhaps warming a bit from there, but n=
ot in
] excess of 20=B0C.
]=20

Tom, your cellar is warmer than my house! I guess I'd prefer my white=20
burgundy a little less chambr=E9, maybe around 12C as the other fellow
suggested.

-E
--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Tom S

"MAUOMBO" > wrote in message
. au...
> > good - say 15 to 17°C to start, perhaps warming a bit from there, but

not
> in
> > excess of 20°C.
> >
> > Tom S
> >

> You dont think you run the risk of guests complaining of it being "not

cold
> enough" at 17 C???
>
> Depends on your guests, I suppose, but I would have thought most people

who
> arent that exposed to a lot of wine would drink it straight from the

fridge
> (say 4C) and so suddenly being served it at 17C might shock them!!!

Yeah, that's true enough. I remember seeing someone slip a few ice cubes
into my Chardonnay at a holiday dinner! >8^[

Best is to not waste the good stuff on knuckleheads who wouldn't appreciate
it and just toss it back for the buzz.

Tom S

Ian Hayward

I think I'd take that as a sound starting point. OK, at great expense and personal
sacrifice I have just conducted a controlled experiment on this subject. Some time
ago I received one of those "What do we buy this wine-obsessed nutter?" presents,
viz. a temperature indicator that wraps around the bottle. First off tonight was a
Rosemount Mudgee "Hill of Gold" Chardonnay, chilled to 8c. Just about right for an
old-style oak and caramel Aussie, probably warmed to 10 to 12c by the time you get to
drink it. Next came a Nobillo SB at 6c, and again I thought this was about right -
IMO NZ Sauvignon needs to be more or less just out of the refrigerator to fully
appreciate that cut glass, grass and asparagus.
So I guess that puts me at the lower end of the preferred temperature spectrum, but I
really do not enjoy warm whites.
Incidentally, given that refrigeration has only been around for about 100 years, and
our good friend the fermented grape is so much older, where and when did the habit of
chilling white wine develop?

Ian

"Steve Slatcher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:45:24 +0200, Bas van Beek >
> wrote:
>
> >Or decant it a
> >lower temperature and let it heat up a little.

> I think it is an obvious point that is often ignored - if you serve a
> chilled wine, it is going to warm up before it is drunk. Even with
> insulated bottles holders, the wine will warm in the glass - and
> guests that want warmer wine can accelerate this process by holding
> the glass. For this reason I would always want to err on the
> cooler-side with wines that need chilling.
>
> --
> Steve Slatcher
> http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Anders Tørneskog

"Ian Hayward" > skrev i melding
> ..., where and when did the habit of
> chilling white wine develop?

In Europe where natural cellars could hold down to 40-45 degrees..
Otherwise, you are probably correct in that most people did not drink very
chilled wine. The established range today is 40-50F (5-10F) for most plonk,
50-60F (10-15C) for most high-class whites.
Anders

Temperature [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 24-04-2008 09:05 PM
Hot Temperature !!!! Pandora General Cooking 58 24-07-2007 01:13 AM
temperature? Mike Winemaking 0 21-05-2005 11:13 PM
Must Temperature Don Winemaking 6 10-03-2004 12:35 AM
Temperature Amadeu Winemaking 3 09-12-2003 02:25 AM