Vino

Default Asparagus--Totally OT to Mark Lipton

What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
related to any other chemical compound?

Remember, I warned everyone that it is OT.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Bill Spohn

>What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
>component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
>perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food?

Asparagine
Mark Lipton

Vino wrote:
> What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
> component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
> perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
> related to any other chemical compound?

Dimethyl sulfide, a substance not entirely unrelated to hydrogen sulfide
(the rotten egg smell). For many years, it was believed that not
everyone excreted it after eating asparagus, as some percentage of
people reported no detectable smell in their urine. Later on, it was
established that the only significant difference was that those who
couldn't smell it were remarkably insensitive to the smell of dimethyl
sulfide -- lucky dogs! ;-)

Mark Lipton
Vino

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:38:55 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Vino wrote:
>> What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
>> component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
>> perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
>> related to any other chemical compound?

>Dimethyl sulfide, a substance not entirely unrelated to hydrogen sulfide
>(the rotten egg smell). For many years, it was believed that not
>everyone excreted it after eating asparagus, as some percentage of
>people reported no detectable smell in their urine. Later on, it was
>established that the only significant difference was that those who
>couldn't smell it were remarkably insensitive to the smell of dimethyl
>sulfide -- lucky dogs! ;-)

Thanks for the answer. Strangely enough, I don't find the smell all
that unpleasant. Granted, exposure to it is (hopefully) brief and I'm
sure that I would tire of it (or become insensitive to it as one does
to H2S) after extended exposure. In any case, H2S smells a lot worse.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:40:10 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Vino wrote:
>>> What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
>>> component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
>>> perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
>>> related to any other chemical compound?

>>Dimethyl sulfide,

[snip]
>>established that the only significant difference was that those who
>>couldn't smell it were remarkably insensitive to the smell of dimethyl
>>sulfide -- lucky dogs! ;-)

>Thanks for the answer. Strangely enough, I don't find the smell all
>that unpleasant.

Nor do I. In fact I'm so keen on asparagus, that I'm happy to be reminded,
several hours later, of the pleasure I have had in eating it!

Dragging this kicking and screaming back on topic, we did in fact cook some
asparagus last night, served in an asparagus and blue cheese quiche as an
entree in a 5 course meal for some friends (modesty forbids me commenting on
the quiche). Given its somewhat fearsome reputation as a difficult match -
admittedly not up to jerusalem artichokes, but none the less fussy - and not
having any Alsace muscat (the choice of many French), I served it with a top
Bergerac, Moulin des Dames white from Ch Tour des Gendres 1999. The wine was
a good mid gold, almost the colour of a sauternes, but with almost no
oxidation either on mouth or nose. I had decanted it about 1 1/2 hours
before hand and it was showing really well. The match was _excellent_.

>sure that I would tire of it (or become insensitive to it as one does
>to H2S) after extended exposure. In any case, H2S smells a lot worse.

Agreed. Though H2S is as nothing compared to the impurities in C2S. Or
worse, ethyl mercaptan.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Tom S

"Vino" > wrote in message

> In any case, H2S smells a lot worse.

H2S is also a _lot_ more poisonous!

Tom S

James Silverton

"Tom S" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Vino" > wrote in message
>
> > In any case, H2S smells a lot worse.

> H2S is also a _lot_ more poisonous!
>
> Tom S

Hydrogen sulfide is actually more poisonous than hydrogen cyanide, I
believe. However, H2S poisoning can be reversed by artificial
repiration if applied quickly enough unlike cyanide.

There is one consoling feature I suppose, you stop noticing the
unpleasant smell once the concentration approaches a lethal value! I
remember noticing this and stopping breathing quickly, while helping
to pull out someone who collapsed after breathing the gas.
Fortunately, the victim recovered while being carried outdoors. There
was no bravery involved since we only found out about the toxicity
later.
--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Timothy Hartley

In message >
Vino > wrote:

> What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
> component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
> perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food?

I don‘t know but there is said to be a London club which has on its Rule Book:
”No member shall urinate in the umbrella stand during the asparagus season.•

--

Tim Hartley
Tom AZ

Hello Ian,

Ian Hoare > wrote in message >. ..
> Salut/Hi Vino,
>
> le/on Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:40:10 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

[snip]

> Dragging this kicking and screaming back on topic, we did in fact cook some
> asparagus last night, served in an asparagus and blue cheese quiche as an
> entree in a 5 course meal for some friends (modesty forbids me commenting on
> the quiche). Given its somewhat fearsome reputation as a difficult match -
> admittedly not up to jerusalem artichokes, but none the less fussy - and not
> having any Alsace muscat (the choice of many French), I served it with a top
> Bergerac, Moulin des Dames white from Ch Tour des Gendres 1999. The wine was
> a good mid gold, almost the colour of a sauternes, but with almost no
> oxidation either on mouth or nose. I had decanted it about 1 1/2 hours
> before hand and it was showing really well. The match was _excellent_.

Would you be willing to share the recipe? The local asparagus is
hitting the shelves and it sounds like a yummy dish. I recall one my
mom used to make with asparagus, hard boiled eggs and sausage, a very
1970's casserole, but boy was it good.

Thanks,
Tom AZ
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Tom,

le/on 23 Apr 2004 11:30:09 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>> Dragging this kicking and screaming back on topic, we did in fact cook some
>> asparagus last night, served in an asparagus and blue cheese quiche as an
>> entree in a 5 course meal for some friends (modesty forbids me commenting on
>> the quiche).

>Would you be willing to share the recipe?

I'm always willing to share recipes, the only problems comes about whether
such a thing is on topic. I take the view that if it follows on as part of a
thread, and it's not too frequent, it's OK. Especially as most of the
rec.food. NGs are pretty dire.

>The local asparagus is hitting the shelves and it sounds like a yummy dish.

I love it and it always goes down well. You need a very well flavoured blue,
don't know what you have available in the Seattle area, but if you can get a
good gorgonzola, with plenty of flavour, it would be fine. If your blue
cheese is light in flavour, use more, and cut down on the cream cheese.

This is not particularly substantial as it's designed to be used as a
"starter" (between soup and main dish) as part of a five course meal. I
prefer green asparagus to white, which is one of the VERY few things Michael
Pronay and I disagree strongly about!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Asparagus And Blue Cheese Quiche

cheese/eggs, french, starters, tarts, vegetables

----AMERICAN UNITS----
8 oz pastry; *
1 oz blue cheese (good)
1 1/2 oz cream cheese (philadelphia)
7 fl oz made up to with half & half
8 oz asparagus; peeled & cooked
----METRIC UNITS----
250 gm pastry; *
30 gm blue cheese
45 gm cream cheese
200 ml made up to with half & half
250 gm asparagus; peeled & cooked
----COMMON----
3 medium eggs
1 salt, pepper & cayenne

NB* As usual, the weight of pastry is the weight of flour used to
make it.

Roll out the pastry and line a 9" flan ring. Bake blind as usual at
a high temperature (400 for 8-9 mins weighted down then a futher 2-3
mins just to colour lightly). Meanwhile, mash the cheeses together,
put into a measuring jug and make up to volume with cream or cream
and milk. Beat hard with the eggs (food processor). Season to taste
with salt, pepper and cayenne as usual.
The asparagus should have been peeled/trimmed as usual and boiled in
strongly salted water until just tender - for really freshly picked
asparagus <15 minutes will suffice. Immediately remove from water and
separate on a paper towel to cool quickly. When cold, cut into 2"
lengths and spread out on the flan base. Pour over the custard and
bake in a moderate oven (375F) for around 30 minutes until nicely
set. Serve warm (not cold or too hot).

Recipe IMH c/o Le MarYol BBS Fido 2:324/151.4

Yield: 6 servings

All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

James Silverton

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>

> > Hydrogen sulfide is actually more poisonous than hydrogen cyanide,

> > believe. However, H2S poisoning can be reversed by artificial
> > repiration if applied quickly enough unlike cyanide.

> My, what a bunch of chem-geeks we are! ;-) You're correct about the
> toxicity of H2S vs. HCN, but HCN is slightly more toxic (LC50 in

rats is
> 169 ppm for 30 minutes for HCN, whereas is 713 ppm for 1 hr for

H2S).
> The big difference is that the smell of hydrogen sulfide is

intolerable
> at levels well below lethal (whereas some people can't smell

hydrogen
> cyanide at its lethal concentration). Typically, the only way

someone
> can be poisoned by H2S is when its concentration is gradually

increased
> over a long period of time so that the person's sense of smell is
> desensitized by long exposure to H2S. Was your coworker simply

ignoring
> the smell, or was it a sudden exposure that overwhelmed him?

Yes, it was a sudden exposure and he was doing something that he
should not have tried. The incident actually had some effect on the
introduction of semi-micro methods and safer methods of generating
hydrogen sulfide.

Jim.

Bill Spohn

Default Asparagus

As we are trading recipes, I prefer my asparagus simply prepared, al dente,
then saute some sliced almonds in butter and pour both nuts and butter over the
asparagus.

You can also add grated Reggiano, broil it etc., but simple seems to work best.
I have also been known to BBQ my 'sparagus first.

This works well with an Alsatian Pinot Gris or such like.
Vino

Default H2S (Was Asparagus) Even more OT

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:34:27 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>

>> Hydrogen sulfide is actually more poisonous than hydrogen cyanide, I
>> believe. However, H2S poisoning can be reversed by artificial
>> repiration if applied quickly enough unlike cyanide.

>My, what a bunch of chem-geeks we are! ;-) You're correct about the
>toxicity of H2S vs. HCN, but HCN is slightly more toxic (LC50 in rats is
>169 ppm for 30 minutes for HCN, whereas is 713 ppm for 1 hr for H2S).
>The big difference is that the smell of hydrogen sulfide is intolerable
>at levels well below lethal (whereas some people can't smell hydrogen
>cyanide at its lethal concentration). Typically, the only way someone
>can be poisoned by H2S is when its concentration is gradually increased
>over a long period of time so that the person's sense of smell is
>desensitized by long exposure to H2S. Was your coworker simply ignoring
>the smell, or was it a sudden exposure that overwhelmed him?

I can recall two incidents where H2S exposure led to death. One was in
a textile mill in Alabama where a worker entered an area where H2S was
present and was overcome. Another worker went in to rescue him and was
also overcome. This sequence of events repeated itself until four or
five men died. The other was in West Texas where a valve on a high
pressure natural gas well failed. The natural gas contained some
concentration of H2S and two nearby residents breathed lethal
concentrations of H2S. I can recall generating H2S in a college
chemistry lab (by adding hydrochoric acid to FeS) and going home with
a headache. I doubt that is done anymore. In any case, H2S is nothing
to fool around with.

Some high pressure (20 Kpsi or so) natural gas deposits contain
significant concentrations of H2S. Because the volume of NG is so
great at STP, they are worth exploiting commercially. Sometimes it it
commercially worthwhile to process the H2S for the sulfur. The
alternative is to burn it off, which generates SO2, which causes
problems of its own.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Tom S

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> The incident actually had some effect on the
> introduction of semi-micro methods and safer methods of generating
> hydrogen sulfide.

I seem to remember we used to use thioacetamide for in situ H2S generation
in chem lab when running qualitative analysis.

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,

le/on 23 Apr 2004 22:34:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>As we are trading recipes, I prefer my asparagus simply prepared, al dente,
>then saute some sliced almonds in butter and pour both nuts and butter over the
>asparagus.

Absolutely agree. BUT, sometimes, especially early in the seasnon, you don't
get enough at a picking to feed them to 6 or 8, and then the quiche works
fine as a way of stretching them.

As for saucing, I prefer the simplest possible - half salted butter, _just_
melted and poured in a pool on the plate, you then dabble each stick in as
you eat it (with your fingers, no utensil is acceptable).

>This works well with an Alsatian Pinot Gris or such like.

Agreed.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
James Silverton

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Last weekend in Tuscany I had them littly stir fried, they were
> great.
>
> Anyhow, I only buy the green thin ones. To me, the ones that need
> peeling are tasteless.
>
> Mike

Possibly it is a bit OT but the mention of stir fried asparagus
prompted me to post a recipe (tho' getting fresh water chestnuts may
be a problem) that I like and which takes very little time.

Asparagus and water chestnuts

Blanch asparagus, cut in 3" lengths, for 2 mins

2 fresh water chestnuts per person, slice thinly

Sauce for about 2 portions

2 tab mirin

2 tab mild soy sauce

1 tab grated ginger

1 chopped garlic clove

1 tab rice vinegar

1 tab corn starch

Other stir-fry sauces would probably work too but this one seems to
accentuate the flavors well.

Stir fry water chestnuts and asparagus for a minute

Add sauce and stir until thickens.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Mike Tommasi

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:50:27 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,
>
> le/on 23 Apr 2004 22:34:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>As we are trading recipes, I prefer my asparagus simply prepared, al dente,
>>then saute some sliced almonds in butter and pour both nuts and butter over the
>>asparagus.

>Absolutely agree. BUT, sometimes, especially early in the seasnon, you don't
>get enough at a picking to feed them to 6 or 8, and then the quiche works
>fine as a way of stretching them.

Whereas end of season, when they are getting a little tougher and not
quite as tasty, the risotto is an excellent solution. Put most of the
chopped asparagus in right from the beginning when you add the stock
to the rice, and save the tender tips for 5 minutes from the end of
cooking.

>As for saucing, I prefer the simplest possible - half salted butter, _just_
>melted and poured in a pool on the plate, you then dabble each stick in as
>you eat it (with your fingers, no utensil is acceptable).

Yummmmmm.

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,

le/on Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:37:35 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>Whereas end of season, when they are getting a little tougher and not
>quite as tasty, the risotto is an excellent solution. Put most of the
>chopped asparagus in right from the beginning when you add the stock
>to the rice, and save the tender tips for 5 minutes from the end of
>cooking.

Sounds lovely, and I've got a recipe or two. I may well give that a try.
Jacquie & I have "discovered" risotto in quite a big way since two years
ago.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Cwdjrx _

The best asparagus I have had in the US is a tiny baby white variety. It
is very tender and flavorful. Unfortunately is is available only for a
short time in the spring and is very expensive. Then you have to have it
shipped by overnight air. Much of the asparagus sold in grocery stores
is too old and has a skin nearly tough enough to use as dental floss. I
did find some very fresh premium giant asparagus from California
recently. Alas it was green, as the white is seldom seen in many parts
of the US. I cut off the tough ends and feed them to the parrot. Then I
peel the green skin away and steam the asparagus. I then dress it with
salt, white pepper, and J. Leblanc's Huile de Pistache. Leblanc's nut
oils are difficult to find in the US, but they are of extremely high
quality and worth the premium price. Then I add a bit of good bread
crumbs. I like to crumble TartufLanghe's Grissini Con Tartufo for the
crumbs. They have a nice truffle flavor. Where I live, both the nut oil
and bread sticks have to be ordered in. I usually serve the asparagus
alone without wine unless I have something opened that might be a good
match. Of course if you are serving several people you can open several
bottles of wine including one to match the asparagus.

Vilco

Ian Hoare wrote:

> Sounds lovely, and I've got a recipe or two. I may well
> give that a try. Jacquie & I have "discovered" risotto in
> quite a big way since two years ago.

And don't forget to try mushrooms risotto

Vilco

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Vilco,

le/on Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:01:18 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare wrote:
>
>> Sounds lovely, and I've got a recipe or two. I may well
>> give that a try. Jacquie & I have "discovered" risotto in
>> quite a big way since two years ago.

>And don't forget to try mushrooms risotto

Ah... THAT's one we know already, as we have a lot of cepes (porcini) in
this neck of the woods.

We have tried a number now, and find that in general they are VERY white
wine friendly. The great problem from our point of view, though, is that
they're singularly ill suited to our way of entertaining clients, as we
serve soup, entree, main course, cheese and pud. We mostly don't eat the
"even" courses, and I don't think I could bear not to eat a risotto. Also,
as we eat the soup, it means that the timing of the second (risotto) would
be tricky. I suppose that we should investigate more substantial ones as
main course dishes. That would work, though it would condemn one of us to
spend the time in the kitchen on our own, instead of being with our guests
as we prefer.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Tom S

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> >> Jacquie & I have "discovered" risotto in
> >> quite a big way since two years ago.

> >And don't forget to try mushrooms risotto

> Ah... THAT's one we know already, as we have a lot of cepes (porcini) in
> this neck of the woods.
>
> We have tried a number now, and find that in general they are VERY white
> wine friendly.

You've just talked yourself into a command performance on my next trip to
Forgès! I'll provide the white wine - French, if you insist. ;^)

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,

le/on Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:37:35 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>Whereas end of season, when they are getting a little tougher and not
>quite as tasty, the risotto is an excellent solution. Put most of the
>chopped asparagus in right from the beginning when you add the stock
>to the rice, and save the tender tips for 5 minutes from the end of
>cooking.

Sort of like this perhaps? (we'll probably be trying it out tomorrow, as
we've a lot of sprue this year).

----- Now You're Cooking! v5.62 [Meal-Master Export Format]

Title: Risotto Con Gli Asparagi (Asparagus Risotto)
Categories: grains, italian, starters, vegetables
Yield: 4 servings

---------------------------------Condimenti---------------------------------
350 g fresh asparagus; washed
1 tb unsalted butter
4 tb parmesan; finely grated

------------------------------------Brodo-----------------------------------
1200 mls broth

----------------------------------Soffritto---------------------------------
2 tb unsalted butter
1 tb oil
60 gms onion; finely chopped

------------------------------------Riso------------------------------------
315 g arborio rice

Wash asparagus and peel if thick, though the best to use are the thin
stalks. Cut into 2.5 cms long pieces, discard the tough bottom parts and
reserve the tips separately.

1. Brodo Bring the broth to a slow, steady simmer.

2 Soffritto Heat the butter and oil in a heavy (4 lt) saucepan over
moderate heat. add the onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to
soften, being careful not to brown it.

3 Riso Add the rice to the soffritto; using a wooden spoon, stir for 1
minute until all the grains are well coated. Add the wine and stir till it
is completely absorbed.

4 Condimenti. Add the asparagus (reserving the tips) and begin to add the
simmering broth, about a ladleful at a time stirring frequently. Wait until
each addition is almost completely absorbed, before adding the next
ladleful (120 mls). Continue, reserving about 60 mls to add at the end. Add
the asparagus tips after the rice has been cooking for 10 to 12 minutes
and continue to add the broth 120 mls at a time. Stir frequently to prevent
sticking.

5 After approximately 18 minutes, when the rice is tender but still firm,
add the reserved broth Turn off the heat and immediately add the remaining
condimenti, the butter and parmesan and stir vigorously to combine with the
rice. Serve immediately.

Recipe "Risotto" Judith Barrett and Norma Wasserman

Contributor: Scanned IMH

-----

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Tom S,

le/on Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:04:58 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>> >And don't forget to try mushrooms risotto

>> Ah... THAT's one we know already, as we have a lot of cepes (porcini) in
>> this neck of the woods.
>>
>> We have tried a number now, and find that in general they are VERY white
>> wine friendly.

>You've just talked yourself into a command performance on my next trip to
>Forgès! I'll provide the white wine - French, if you insist. ;^)

I don't insist at all - your Chardonnay is an utter delight, and I only wish
I could persuade someone to import it here.

As for cooking a risotto for you, it would be a pleasure. Though I say it
myself, so far every one we've done has been truly delicious. The first
couple were a touch wodgy, due to being cooked in too small a pan, hence too
slowly, but the flavour was wonderful. I feel I _can_ talk about them as
it's Jacquie who makes them.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Tom AZ,

le/on Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:00:25 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>Thanks for the recipe, as well to all who followed up with their own.
>Realizing that it is a bit off topic, I just too intrigued - particularily
>by the "modesty forbids..." line : )

Well, it's a bit indelicate to say "I think this dish I've just cooked was
wonderful".

>But to bring it back on topic slightly, I have not tried a Bergerac, to my
>recollection, and was thinking this would pair nicely with something such as
>a Gruner Veltliner, New Zealand SB (we have tried some pretty nice ones
>recently), or one of the local Semillons - the joy of experimentation.

Indeed. I think a good Gruner Veltliner would be glorious with it. As for a
NZ Sauvignon, I also suspect it would be an excellent match, though I'm hard
put to it to say whether I'd want one of the typical "grassy" ones, or one
with a bit more complexity from some barrel aging. When you see me talking
abot a Bergerac you can think "good (but not great)" Bordeaux, if you want a
sort of reference point. They _aren't_ exactly the same, although the
varieties that may be used are identical, but I'd say they overlap quite
widely.

Quiches are funny beasts, in fact. You can have them very substantial and
filling, if you use lots of cheese or other strongly flavoured fillings, and
they're gorgeous like that as a main course with perhaps a salad, or even
with vegetables. At the other extreme, one can make them almost ethereal
with the most delicate seasonings, and they make a perfect starter before
quite a substantial main course. What's more they're surprisingly wine
friendly, give "the egg"'s reputation for wine _un_friendliness.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Tom S

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
news
> I don't insist at all - your Chardonnay is an utter delight, and I only
wish
> I could persuade someone to import it here.

Hi, Ian -
We will have to discuss this topic offline. The strong Euro has made this a
distinct possibility.

Tom S

Gio

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:50:27 +0200, Ian Hoare >
> wrote:
>

>>Salut/Hi Bill Spohn,
>>
>>le/on 23 Apr 2004 22:34:31 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>>

>>>As we are trading recipes, I prefer my asparagus simply prepared, al dente,
>>>then saute some sliced almonds in butter and pour both nuts and butter over the
>>>asparagus.

>>Absolutely agree. BUT, sometimes, especially early in the seasnon, you don't
>>get enough at a picking to feed them to 6 or 8, and then the quiche works
>>fine as a way of stretching them.

> Whereas end of season, when they are getting a little tougher and not
> quite as tasty, the risotto is an excellent solution. Put most of the
> chopped asparagus in right from the beginning when you add the stock
> to the rice, and save the tender tips for 5 minutes from the end of
> cooking.
>

>>As for saucing, I prefer the simplest possible - half salted butter, _just_
>>melted and poured in a pool on the plate, you then dabble each stick in as
>>you eat it (with your fingers, no utensil is acceptable).

> Yummmmmm.
>
> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Her in the south of Holland, due to the composition of the soil in this
particulary part of the country, the white asparagus is very well known.
We have this traditional local receipt for white asparagus which is very
simple. Bash some hard boiled eggs, chop some cooked ham and melt some
butter. pour out the butter and sprinkle the chopped ham and boiled egg
over the asparagus, and pick up the asparagus at the bottom with your
fingertip and hold up with your fork halfway the asparagus. than put the
tip in your mouth....heavenly...

Serve Costamolino, a Vermentino from Argiolas from Sardinia....the only
non local ingredient for this happening I will accept... ;-)

Ciao, Gio

Sojourner

Having seen that there are several asparagus lovers here, does anyone
have a foolproof way of freezing the lovely wild woodland asparagus
that are available in France from now for the next month or so?

When Barbara and I first started spending the mid-May to mid-June
period in France, we couldn't find anything enjoyable about French
asparagus. The white stuff was dire, as was the purple stuff, while
the green asparagus was mediocre when compared with the English
variety. Then, a couple of years ago, we discovered the small wild
woodland variety. It beat anything we had ever tasted before - and
the simpler the cooking, the finer the taste.

It is better than anything we've tasted before. The only question is
how can we preserve it so that we can enjoy it throughout the year?
Freezing would seem to be an obvious solution if only we could find a
way to avoid it going soggy.

Sojourner

Tom S

"Sojourner" > wrote in message
> Having seen that there are several asparagus lovers here, does anyone
> have a foolproof way of freezing the lovely wild woodland asparagus
> that are available in France from now for the next month or so?

If it's anything like the regular asparagus in texture, I'd say forget it.
It'll get mooshy with freezing. :^(

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Sojourner,

le/on Mon, 03 May 2004 23:45:35 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>Having seen that there are several asparagus lovers here, does anyone
>have a foolproof way of freezing the lovely wild woodland asparagus
>that are available in France from now for the next month or so?

Yup. Don't.

Sorry, John, but although you can freeze them, without too much loss in
flavour, the texture's buggered - to use a technical expression.

>When Barbara and I first started spending the mid-May to mid-June
>period in France, we couldn't find anything enjoyable about French
>asparagus.

Challenge.

Come here and say that again. We grow our own green asparagus and find it
easily as good as any we grew in Britain, arguably better. In fact as I
write, we're looking at enough to eat tonight!

I agree that white and purple don't taste as good as green (a personal
opinion which is NOT shared by many here), but honestly we have no problem
at all with the green (neither do the odd lucky clients who happen to come
on a day when we serve them). I'd go further, and say that the green I buy
at Brive market freshly gathered from local producers is far and away better
than any asparagus I ever managed to buy in the UK, not that I did get much,
as it was so frightful.

> Then, a couple of years ago, we discovered the small wild woodland variety. It beat anything we had ever tasted before - >and the simpler the cooking, the finer the taste.

True of many (if not all) of the best vegetables. New potatoes, - a good
tasty variety like Belle de Fontenay, Charlotte or, Ratte, freshly dug and
simply cooked in their skins, and then served with lashings of good farm
butter is unbeatable.

>It is better than anything we've tasted before. The only question is
>how can we preserve it so that we can enjoy it throughout the year?

BAD thing. Enjoy each delight in its season. (This is a subject about which
CS Lewis talked eloquently in his "Venus" SF story, forget the name).

This is entirely OT and skip it if you wish, but I believe passionately that
as a species we NEED variety and we NEED to mark the changing seasons with
changing diet. I've already mentioned new potatoes, but I could have talked
about asparagus (naturally) broad (US field) beans, green peas, tomatoes,
purple sprouting brocolli, brussels sprouts, and many many other delights,
which if you ONLY eat in season are looked forward to avidly. If you eat
frozen and preserved foods throughout the year, you LOSE this sense of keen
anticipation and delight, and the seasons become "flattened out".

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Mathew Kagis

"Vino" > wrote in message
> What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
> component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in a
> perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
> related to any other chemical compound?

Just heard something on CBC Radio on Asparagus.... According to them, the
chemical which causes the raunchy smell when answering the call of nature,
is one very much on topic for this group.... Mercaptin. who knew?

Cheers
Mathew

James Silverton

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message

> "Vino" > wrote in message
> > What is the chemical that is formed by the metabolism of some
> > component of asparagus that one detects by smell while engaging in

> > perfectly natural act several hours after eating that food? Is it
> > related to any other chemical compound?

> Just heard something on CBC Radio on Asparagus.... According to

them, the
> chemical which causes the raunchy smell when answering the call of

nature,
> is one very much on topic for this group.... Mercaptin. who knew?
>
> Cheers
> Mathew

There are number of mercaptans, very similar to alcohols in formula
with oxygen replaced by sulfur. A large number, especially of the
simpler ones, are pretty foul smelling but not all: furfuryl mercaptan
is reputed to a large component of the smell of coffee.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Mark Lipton

Mathew Kagis wrote:

> Just heard something on CBC Radio on Asparagus.... According to them, the
> chemical which causes the raunchy smell when answering the call of nature,
> is one very much on topic for this group.... Mercaptin. who knew?

As Jim already said, mercaptans (thiols) are an entire class of
molecule. In addition, while mercaptans may account for *some* of the
smell, the major component is dimethyl sulfide -- not a mercaptan, but a
related sulfide. I'm afraid that they got the wrong end of the stick on
that one...

Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mark Lipton,

le/on Thu, 06 May 2004 15:22:52 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>Mathew Kagis wrote:
>
>> Just heard something on CBC Radio on Asparagus.... According to them, the
>> chemical which causes the raunchy smell when answering the call of nature,
>> is one very much on topic for this group.... Mercaptin. who knew?

>As Jim already said, mercaptans (thiols) are an entire class of
>molecule. In addition, while mercaptans may account for *some* of the
>smell, the major component is dimethyl sulfide -- not a mercaptan, but a
>related sulfide. I'm afraid that they got the wrong end of the stick on
>that one...

About par for the course for the media, Mark. In the last year, or so, I'm
afraid that they have badly let us all down. One expects it for scientific
matters (as in this case), but the amount of censorship, misinformation,
disinformation and downright lies that we've all been subject to is nothing
less than scandalous. While I'm not excluding the media in France and in
the UK, I'm afraid that what I've seen from the USA is a long way from the
standards of probity that you have every right to expect.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Sojourner,

As a follow up to my last.

le/on Mon, 03 May 2004 23:45:35 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>have a foolproof way of freezing the lovely wild woodland asparagus
>that are available in France from now for the next month or so?

When we went into our local vegetable and fruit shop ("local" is pretty
relative, as it's 25 miles away) they had - quel coincidence - some wild
woodland asparagus, so I dug deep into my pocket and bought a little bunch.

>variety. Then, a couple of years ago, we discovered the small wild
>woodland variety. It beat anything we had ever tasted before - and
>the simpler the cooking, the finer the taste.

I'd agree that it's wonderful, and as so often is the case, the simpler the
better. We just cooked it in the asparagus kettle with some salted water,
and compared it with our own green asparagus. Yes it was better, without a
doubt, though I'm not sure it was ‚¬2.60 better. We just served it - as it
deserved - with a little melted slghtly salted butter over it and ate it
with our fingers. A delight. But I'm sure you'll not be able to preserve it
by freezing.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton) st.helier[_3_] Wine 16 07-12-2011 06:26 PM
Dinner with Mark Lipton Salil Wine 1 22-02-2008 08:50 PM
Alt FAQ's--Calling MARK LIPTON Richard Neidich Wine 1 28-11-2007 09:06 PM
Mark Lipton, I need your help please D&K Condron Wine 1 05-11-2007 01:05 AM
Mark Lipton Wine Dinner - TNs (long) Hunt Wine 4 21-01-2005 04:18 PM