Mathew Kagis

Default The perfect Stanely Cup Playoff wine...

Wirra Wirra 'Scrubby Rise' Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot '01

Opened & decanted for the length of the Canadian national anthem.
Clear, cherry red rim darkening to a deep purple core (much like the
bruises experienced when being cross checked)... Clean nose, intense black
cherry, hint of sweaty goalie glove leather, bit of bubblegum (partial
carbonic maceration?) Youthfull development, remenicent of the Sedin twins
in their second season. Palate is dry (Like Mark Crawford's throat after
screaming at the ref) moderate acidity, deceptively strong tannins (like
Mark Bertuzzi's sucker punch) cherry & blackberry fruit character with a
strangely tangy finish (like most Canucks games)... must have been a bad
year for the Verdot. loong finish (like the playoffs) and very warm,
suggesting a high alcohol content (like most hockey fans). Conclusion: The
Perfect Playoff Wine!

Go Canucks
Mathew

Cherie

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message
> Wirra Wirra 'Scrubby Rise' Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot '01
>
> Opened & decanted for the length of the Canadian national anthem.
> Clear, cherry red rim darkening to a deep purple core (much like the
> bruises experienced when being cross checked)... Clean nose, intense

black
> cherry, hint of sweaty goalie glove leather, bit of bubblegum (partial
> carbonic maceration?) Youthfull development, remenicent of the Sedin twins
> in their second season. Palate is dry (Like Mark Crawford's throat after
> screaming at the ref) moderate acidity, deceptively strong tannins (like
> Mark Bertuzzi's sucker punch) cherry & blackberry fruit character with a
> strangely tangy finish (like most Canucks games)... must have been a bad
> year for the Verdot. loong finish (like the playoffs) and very warm,
> suggesting a high alcohol content (like most hockey fans). Conclusion:

The
> Perfect Playoff Wine!
>
> Go Canucks
> Mathew

Good to know. My hockey-crazed husband I had St. Francis Old Vines
Zinfandel ('01) with last night's game. Enjoyed it, and the outcome of the
game, tremendously. Go Wings!!!!!
Cherie

Mark Lipton

Mathew Kagis wrote:

> Wirra Wirra 'Scrubby Rise' Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot '01
>
> Opened & decanted for the length of the Canadian national anthem.
> Clear, cherry red rim darkening to a deep purple core (much like the
> bruises experienced when being cross checked)... Clean nose, intense black
> cherry, hint of sweaty goalie glove leather, bit of bubblegum (partial
> carbonic maceration?) Youthfull development, remenicent of the Sedin twins
> in their second season. Palate is dry (Like Mark Crawford's throat after
> screaming at the ref) moderate acidity, deceptively strong tannins (like
> Mark Bertuzzi's sucker punch) cherry & blackberry fruit character with a
> strangely tangy finish (like most Canucks games)... must have been a bad
> year for the Verdot. loong finish (like the playoffs) and very warm,
> suggesting a high alcohol content (like most hockey fans). Conclusion: The
> Perfect Playoff Wine!

ROFL!! Great description, Mathew. I've had (and liked) other Wirra
Wirra wines before. The bubblegum description certainly does sound like
carbonic maceration, but I can't say that I'm aware of an Aussie
Shirazes (or blends) that use that technique. Perhaps it's just the
strain of yeast used? FWIW, I'd have thought that an icewine would have
been more the perfect wine for Lord Stanley's late Spring antics.

Mark Lipton
Mathew Kagis

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Mathew Kagis wrote:
>
> > Wirra Wirra 'Scrubby Rise' Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot '01
> >
> > Opened & decanted for the length of the Canadian national anthem.
> > Clear, cherry red rim darkening to a deep purple core (much like the
> > bruises experienced when being cross checked)... Clean nose, intense

black
> > cherry, hint of sweaty goalie glove leather, bit of bubblegum (partial
> > carbonic maceration?) Youthfull development, remenicent of the Sedin

twins
> > in their second season. Palate is dry (Like Mark Crawford's throat after
> > screaming at the ref) moderate acidity, deceptively strong tannins (like
> > Mark Bertuzzi's sucker punch) cherry & blackberry fruit character with a
> > strangely tangy finish (like most Canucks games)... must have been a bad
> > year for the Verdot. loong finish (like the playoffs) and very warm,
> > suggesting a high alcohol content (like most hockey fans). Conclusion:

The
> > Perfect Playoff Wine!

> ROFL!! Great description, Mathew. I've had (and liked) other Wirra
> Wirra wines before. The bubblegum description certainly does sound like
> carbonic maceration, but I can't say that I'm aware of an Aussie
> Shirazes (or blends) that use that technique. Perhaps it's just the
> strain of yeast used? FWIW, I'd have thought that an icewine would have
> been more the perfect wine for Lord Stanley's late Spring antics.
>
> Mark Lipton

I was under the impression that Rosemount had used Carbonic Maceration on
a few of the blended wines they started to market a couple of years ago...
Blue, trendy looking lables with blends like Shiraz/Grenache and such. I
was also pretty sure that the entire Yellow Tail line of products was CM. Or
it could just be the 11gr of residual sugar per bottle that gave me that
impression. As to Icewine....I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
Cheers
Mathew

Ian Hayward

As a Leafs fan exiled to England I have to get up at midnight to listen to games on
NHL radio, so for the first round in yet another "Battle of Ontario" I thought a
Tatachilla Partners' Reserve Cab/Shiraz from the other end of the Empire would be
fine, just like taking a hit from Tie Domi. I had better find a 1967 vintage
something for the celebrations in June.

Go Leafs, Sens suck!

Ian

P.S. No "Turning Leaf" jokes, please.

> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> > Mathew Kagis wrote:
> >
> > > Wirra Wirra 'Scrubby Rise' Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot '01
> > >
> > > Opened & decanted for the length of the Canadian national anthem.
> > > Clear, cherry red rim darkening to a deep purple core (much like the
> > > bruises experienced when being cross checked)... Clean nose, intense

> black
> > > cherry, hint of sweaty goalie glove leather, bit of bubblegum (partial
> > > carbonic maceration?) Youthfull development, remenicent of the Sedin

> twins
> > > in their second season. Palate is dry (Like Mark Crawford's throat after
> > > screaming at the ref) moderate acidity, deceptively strong tannins (like
> > > Mark Bertuzzi's sucker punch) cherry & blackberry fruit character with a
> > > strangely tangy finish (like most Canucks games)... must have been a bad
> > > year for the Verdot. loong finish (like the playoffs) and very warm,
> > > suggesting a high alcohol content (like most hockey fans). Conclusion:

> The
> > > Perfect Playoff Wine!

> > ROFL!! Great description, Mathew. I've had (and liked) other Wirra
> > Wirra wines before. The bubblegum description certainly does sound like
> > carbonic maceration, but I can't say that I'm aware of an Aussie
> > Shirazes (or blends) that use that technique. Perhaps it's just the
> > strain of yeast used? FWIW, I'd have thought that an icewine would have
> > been more the perfect wine for Lord Stanley's late Spring antics.
> >
> > Mark Lipton

> I was under the impression that Rosemount had used Carbonic Maceration on
> a few of the blended wines they started to market a couple of years ago...
> Blue, trendy looking lables with blends like Shiraz/Grenache and such. I
> was also pretty sure that the entire Yellow Tail line of products was CM. Or
> it could just be the 11gr of residual sugar per bottle that gave me that
> impression. As to Icewine....I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
> Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
> Cheers
> Mathew

Mathew Kagis

"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> As a Leafs fan exiled to England I have to get up at midnight to listen to

games on
> NHL radio, so for the first round in yet another "Battle of Ontario" I

thought a
> Tatachilla Partners' Reserve Cab/Shiraz from the other end of the Empire

would be
> fine, just like taking a hit from Tie Domi. I had better find a 1967

vintage
> something for the celebrations in June.
>
> Go Leafs, Sens suck!
>
> Ian
>
> P.S. No "Turning Leaf" jokes, please.

NO TURNING LEAF JOKES?!?!? Ian, your taking away my best ammo! As to
'Senator' jokes, well, the mind just boggles @ the possibilities. I would
however (regardless of who wins) LOVE to see an all Canadian Final this
year... It's our national sport after all.

Cheers
Mathew
ps. in my tasting notes, I meant 'Todd', not "mark" bertuzzi... That'll
learn me not to proofread my posts before hitting send....

Cherie

Thanks for the email, Matthew, I will definitely try the Segesio. As far as
defecting to your team, I am about as inclined do that as you would be to
switch to my Wings! Although the thought of being boo'd and pelted with
various objects at the games here in Detroit (and in my own house) does seem
really appealing. As for me, I think I'll have Champagne chilling when the
Wings take home the Cup YET AGAIN. Maybe a nice Rose' Champagne for a
change....sigh....

> "Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> > As a Leafs fan exiled to England I have to get up at midnight to listen

> games on
> > NHL radio, so for the first round in yet another "Battle of Ontario" I

> thought a
> > Tatachilla Partners' Reserve Cab/Shiraz from the other end of the Empire

> would be
> > fine, just like taking a hit from Tie Domi. I had better find a 1967

> vintage
> > something for the celebrations in June.
> >
> > Go Leafs, Sens suck!
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > P.S. No "Turning Leaf" jokes, please.

> NO TURNING LEAF JOKES?!?!? Ian, your taking away my best ammo! As to
> 'Senator' jokes, well, the mind just boggles @ the possibilities. I would
> however (regardless of who wins) LOVE to see an all Canadian Final this
> year... It's our national sport after all.
>
> Cheers
> Mathew
> ps. in my tasting notes, I meant 'Todd', not "mark" bertuzzi... That'll
> learn me not to proofread my posts before hitting send....

Mathew Kagis

"Cherie" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the email, Matthew, I will definitely try the Segesio. As far

as
> defecting to your team, I am about as inclined do that as you would be to
> switch to my Wings! Although the thought of being boo'd and pelted with
> various objects at the games here in Detroit (and in my own house) does

seem
> really appealing. As for me, I think I'll have Champagne chilling when

the
> Wings take home the Cup YET AGAIN. Maybe a nice Rose' Champagne for a
> change....sigh....

Has'nt Detroit bought, oops I mean 'won' the cup enough times now to show
what a big payroll can do? It'll be Quails Gate Reisling Icewine for me
when the CANUCKS take the cup.

Mathew (with one 'T')

Cherie

We ought to start a play-offs or finals wine club (try certain select wines
for certain select games). Or when our teams play each other? Might be
fun.

Sorry I misspelled your name, Mathew.

> "Cherie" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for the email, Matthew, I will definitely try the Segesio. As

far
> as
> > defecting to your team, I am about as inclined do that as you would be

> > switch to my Wings! Although the thought of being boo'd and pelted with
> > various objects at the games here in Detroit (and in my own house) does

> seem
> > really appealing. As for me, I think I'll have Champagne chilling when

> the
> > Wings take home the Cup YET AGAIN. Maybe a nice Rose' Champagne for a
> > change....sigh....

> Has'nt Detroit bought, oops I mean 'won' the cup enough times now to

show
> what a big payroll can do? It'll be Quails Gate Reisling Icewine for me
> when the CANUCKS take the cup.
>
> Mathew (with one 'T')

Mathew Kagis

"Cherie" > wrote in message
> We ought to start a play-offs or finals wine club (try certain select

wines
> for certain select games). Or when our teams play each other? Might be
> fun.

I agree, unfortunately, here in BC, we have a restrictive & red tape
obsessed government monopoly on liquor sales...Often makes getting
interesting lables near impossible. I'd hate to be the spoiler & restrict
your tasting options.
> Sorry I misspelled your name, Mathew.

No problem, common mistake, as was my father's when I was born, excitement
& exaustion caused him to foreget the second 'T'...& a name change @ that
time was as expensive as a weeks worth of food for the family, so there it
stayed.

Mathew

Cherie

> "Cherie" > wrote in message
> I agree, unfortunately, here in BC, we have a restrictive & red tape
> obsessed government monopoly on liquor sales...Often makes getting
> interesting lables near impossible. I'd hate to be the spoiler & restrict
> your tasting options.

Can't speak for anyone else, but that wouldn't bother me at all, the wines
don't have to be that obscure. I can't imagine I'd be the one to pick them,
anyway.

> > Sorry I misspelled your name, Mathew.

> No problem, common mistake, as was my father's when I was born,

excitement
> & exaustion caused him to foreget the second 'T'...& a name change @ that
> time was as expensive as a weeks worth of food for the family, so there it
> stayed.

I can relate, my name is often either spelled or pronounced wrong.
> Mathew

JEP

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message news:<a7gdc.23577$J56.21435@edtnps89>...
>...I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
> Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
> Cheers
> Mathew

Will Icewine last that long?

Andy

P.S. Bruins going all the way.
Mathew Kagis

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> "Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message

> >...I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
> > Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
> > Cheers
> > Mathew

> Will Icewine last that long?
>
> Andy
>
> P.S. Bruins going all the way.

LOW BLOW Andy..... ouch! But hey, I understand..... When you have an
inferior team like Boston to cheer for, you need to take cheap shots to
bolster your confidence...

Icewine in June
Mathew

Ian Hayward

Hmphh... the wine was better than the game.

"Ian Hayward" > wrote in message
> As a Leafs fan exiled to England I have to get up at midnight to listen to games on
> NHL radio, so for the first round in yet another "Battle of Ontario" I thought a
> Tatachilla Partners' Reserve Cab/Shiraz from the other end of the Empire would be
> fine, just like taking a hit from Tie Domi. I had better find a 1967 vintage
> something for the celebrations in June.
>
> Go Leafs, Sens suck!
>
> Ian
>
> P.S. No "Turning Leaf" jokes, please.
>
> "Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message

> > black

> > twins

> > The
> > >
> > > ROFL!! Great description, Mathew. I've had (and liked) other Wirra
> > > Wirra wines before. The bubblegum description certainly does sound like
> > > carbonic maceration, but I can't say that I'm aware of an Aussie
> > > Shirazes (or blends) that use that technique. Perhaps it's just the
> > > strain of yeast used? FWIW, I'd have thought that an icewine would have
> > > been more the perfect wine for Lord Stanley's late Spring antics.
> > >
> > > Mark Lipton

> > I was under the impression that Rosemount had used Carbonic Maceration on
> > a few of the blended wines they started to market a couple of years ago...
> > Blue, trendy looking lables with blends like Shiraz/Grenache and such. I
> > was also pretty sure that the entire Yellow Tail line of products was CM. Or
> > it could just be the 11gr of residual sugar per bottle that gave me that
> > impression. As to Icewine....I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
> > Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
> > Cheers
> > Mathew

Anders Tørneskog

"Mathew Kagis" > skrev i melding
> ....I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
> Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
> Cheers
> Mathew

What is a STANELY cup? For drinking ice wine?

Anders
(confused European)

Anders Tørneskog

"Cherie" > skrev i melding
> We ought to start a play-offs or finals wine club (try certain select

wines
> for certain select games). Or when our teams play each other? Might be
> fun.
>
> Sorry I misspelled your name, Mathew.

Why should you be, he misspells Riesling...
:-)
Anders

Larry

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:33:55 GMT, "Anders Tørneskog"
> wrote:

>"Mathew Kagis" > skrev i melding
>> ....I'm saving my bottle for when the Vancouver
>> Canucks WIN THE STANELY CUP.
>> Cheers
>> Mathew
>>

>What is a STANELY cup? For drinking ice wine?
>
>Anders
>(confused European)

Anders,

Most of North America is in the beginning stages of their national
hockey tournaments, similar to World Cup Soccer (ok maybe not on that
big a scale). The Stanley Cup is the "prize". A 1-1.5 meter high
silver trophy that has a cup shaped top that is used to fill with
various alcoholic beverages.

I'm snickering a bit because I suppose this monstrous event(for us)
isn't even mentioned in your media. ;-}

All the best!
"Go Leafs Go!" (Toronto's team)

Larry
Southern Ontario

JEP

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message >...

> What is a STANELY cup? For drinking ice wine?
>
> Anders
> (confused European)

Hi Anders,

The Stanley Cup is a 100 year old, three foot high trophy that is
awarded to the winner of the NHL (National Hockey League) championship
series. The seven games of the championship series have also come to
be refered to as the "Stanley Cup".

Andy
Mathew Kagis

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
news

> "Cherie" > skrev i melding
> > We ought to start a play-offs or finals wine club (try certain select

> wines
> > for certain select games). Or when our teams play each other? Might be
> > fun.
> >
> > Sorry I misspelled your name, Mathew.
> >

> Why should you be, he misspells Riesling...
> :-)
> Anders
Dyslexics UNTIE!!!>

Anders Tørneskog

"Larry" > skrev i melding
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:33:55 GMT, "Anders Tørneskog"
> > wrote:
>

> >What is a STANELY cup? For drinking ice wine?
> >

> snip.. The Stanley Cup is the "prize". A 1-1.5 meter high
> silver trophy that has a cup shaped top that is used to fill with
> various alcoholic beverages.

Oh, it is Stanley, not STANELY?
Seems that there has indeed been some mention somewhere..., oh yes, in
Swedish news, some Swedes take part I believe, Sedin twins, Mats Sundin and
a Näslund? - Norway doesn't care much :-)
A 1 meter trophy filled with ice wine would really be something - hmm, guess
I'd have to find a bloody big cork!
:-) Anders