jcoulter

Default Insanity of the wine industry

"Vincent Vega" > wrote in
:

> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>>

>> Vincent Vega wrote:
>>
>> > I just read the "Official Guide to Wine Snobbery"
>> >

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...7/104-7594829-

92
> [...]

>> > such an observant statement. And that statement will get passed

> meanwhile
>> > building the credentials of whoever repeats the line.
>> >
>> > The only problem is that anyone who has a beginners knowledge of

> winemaking
>> > knows that acid additions are currently practiced by just about
>> > wine producing nation in the world,, even if they don't tell you.

>> Sorry, that just ain't so. Many important wine regions have explicit
>> laws

> against
>> acidification. California doesn't because of lack of acidity that
>> plagues

> many of its
>> wine regions; conversely, California has very strict laws about the

> addition of sugar
>> ("chaptalization") that don't exist in parts of France where the
>> grapes

> will often not
>> fully ripen. Bottom line: the regulations are typically
>> self-serving for

> the region
>> involved; if we don't need to add acid, we'll outlaw the practice.

> Sorry,, you are wrong. Obviously you havent had any HONEST
> conversations with French winemakers. Next thing you are going to
> tell me is that they dont use sulphites. If you understood the
> complex reasons for acid additions you would realize why it cold be
> necessary from year to year in all parts of the world. The French
> purchased illegal oil from Iraq at discounted prices so Saddam could
> build more palaces,, you think they wouldnt add a little tartaric acid
> to their wines if they had to?
>

>> > The fact that
>> > a wine is high in acidity could not possibly indicate where it is
>> > from.

>> Tried a Savennieres recently? ;-)

> No,, but my statement remains true.
>

>> > The more I am force to understand the marketing of this industry,
>> > the

> more I
>> > am convinced of its insanity. I think someday I will write a book
>> > that exposes the foolishness and symantics of the wine industry.

>> In my experience, most of the people who make the wines I like are

> down-to-earth,
>> striaghtforward and sensible about their craft and trade. Moreover,
>> these

> same
>> winemakers share for the most part a genuine passion and enthusiasm
>> for

> what they do.
>> Most will shake their heads about the various insanities and
>> inanities

> perpetrated by
>> the more mendacious and pretentious of their colleagues. It sounds
>> like

> you need to
>> hang out with a better crowd...

> Not sure what you mean by that. Its the winemakers whom I am
> defending. It is their market and their critics who turned the

That is assuming that a bronze rating is a 70 wine, I would think a
bronze would be a 90+ though I would grant you a spread of + or - 5
points on a given panal of judges.
Vincent Vega

> That is assuming that a bronze rating is a 70 wine, I would think a
> bronze would be a 90+ though I would grant you a spread of + or - 5
> points on a given panal of judges.

Typically in wine competitions a wine is judged on a point basis. If the
highest possible point score 18 points,, (say 6 points for nose, 6 points
for appearance and 6 points for taste). In this scenario in most wine
competitions a score of 13 would be bronze.

13 divided by 18 = 72 percentage points. This is not the rule for all
competitions but it is typical.

jcoulter

"Vincent Vega" > wrote in
:

>> That is assuming that a bronze rating is a 70 wine, I

ze.

> 13 divided by 18 = 72 percentage points. This is not the

rule for all
> competitions but it is typical.

That assumes that a rating of 90 somehow equates to 90% but
water could score a 50 (IIRC) the two systems just don't
equate that way at all.
Vincent Vega

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> "Vincent Vega" > wrote in
> :
>

> >> That is assuming that a bronze rating is a 70 wine, I

> ze.
> >
> > 13 divided by 18 = 72 percentage points. This is not the

> rule for all
> > competitions but it is typical.
> >

> That assumes that a rating of 90 somehow equates to 90% but
> water could score a 50 (IIRC) the two systems just don't
> equate that way at all.

Im not playing semantics here. I am just sharing my first hand experience.
My point, which you seem to be missing, is that judges seem capable of
determining if a wine is "flawed" or "not flawed",, any scoring about "not
flawed" is totally subjective and is determined by personal taste but more
importantly (from a marketing standpoint) by heresay, reputation, supply and
demand and "who knows who". This is the dark secret of the wine industry.

jcoulter

"Vincent Vega" > wrote in
:

> Im not playing semantics here. I am just sharing my first

hand
> experience. My point, which you seem to be missing, is that

judges
> seem capable of determining if a wine is "flawed" or "not

flawed",,
> any scoring about "not flawed" is totally subjective and is

determined
> by personal taste but more importantly (from a marketing

standpoint)
> by heresay, reputation, supply and demand and "who knows

who". This
> is the dark secret of the wine industry.

My pint is that the deifference between first and third in
any competiton is often narrow

jcoulter

jcoulter > wrote in
:

> My point is that the difference between first and third in
> any competiton is often narrow

and "no one" is going to drink a wine that gets a 70 and call it
anyting but garbage. Look at what gets 80's and advertises the
fact.
(apologies to Max and others for the failure to snip my other
reply)