Dale Williams

Default TN: Good Italian whites, and some matching hits/misses

Monday we had a new roast chicken recipe (from Judy Rodgers at Zuni Cafe, a
light spice rub then aired in fridge for 2 days). Served some opened 2000
Lanessan (previously noted), and the 2002 Scarbolo Pinot Grigio. Light crisp
wine with green apple fruit accented by a hint of lime, not really big enough
to stand up to the chicken (though the spices were subtle). Decent enough
summer quaffer though, a B on my easy scale. Actually, the PG was too light,
and the Bordeaux was too much, this dish would have gone well with a bigger
white or a lighter red. As has happened before, I found myself preferring the
red with the dark meat and the white with the breast.

Tuesday was beef stroganoff. Betsy has 2 stroganoff recipes, a Pierre Franey
and the one she calls "1950s cookbook." This was the older one (the only recipe
I know that Betsy uses canned soup in!), tasty Middle America comfort food.
This time I tried the 2001 Ste.-Anne Bandol Rosé. Somewhat austere, a bit
herbal (not green, I mean herbs), stern cherry fruit. I liked it, but Betsy
didn't. I thought it a decent match, though good Beaujolais or Loire cab franc
remains my favorite stroganoff match. As night wore on I liked the rosé even
more, it seemed to become more open and inviting. I'd give a B+, though I
probably won't buy more (there are too many wines we both like to stock ones
she doesn't, except Savennières).

Wednesday I had to speak at a fundraising reception at a local college, the
choices at the bar were limited, I tried the 2001 Fetzer Sundial Chardonnay.
Low expectations are the way to go, this wasn't that bad for a wine that
retails for I think $7-8. The tropical fruit profile isn't my favorite, but it
doesn't have that oak-chippy woodiness that afflicts so many inexpensive
CalChards. Reasonably light, bright wine- don't think I'll buy any, but an
acceptable choice in this situation. B

Got home, Betsy had dinner almost ready, just needed 10 minutes to heat grill
and a few more to grill some marinated scallops and shrimp. The seafood was
part of an Asian salad over snow peas, red pepper, and noodles; we tried the
2003 Anselmi San Vincenzo (no longer Soave). I opened with anticipation, after
a flurry of notes re this wine (or at least 2002). Wait, it's not what I
expect. Sure it's good- pear and Fuji apple fruit, kind of a mineral/wet stone
thing, good finish. But this is not the light clean crisp wine I expected. Ok,
it's reasonably crisp and certainly clean. But this is a much bigger wine than
I expected. It's at least as good a wine as I expected, just more. B+/A-

Thursday was a long day, we ate late with a beef stew with dried fruits from a
crockpot. I tried the 1990 Vidal-Fleury Vacqueyras. Definite browning. Initial
nose has some intriguing smoke, sweat, earth, and barnyard, but the fruit has a
stewed quality. This probably should have been drunk 4-5 years ago in any
case, but was a cheap bin-end from a slightly dubious source -my guess is this
had seen some high temps. C- for this bottle

Friday was opening night for opera season, Betsy was working so I ate leftovers
alone. I had recently picked up a couple of 375s of the 1998 Ch. Faizeau VV
(Montagne-St.Émilion). This was a wine I had liked at $13, but drank them all.
So when I saw the halves at $8 I got a few. After a little air, nice
floral/earthy nose. Raspberry and black cherry fruit, medium-bodied, long
finish for an inexpensive Bdx. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
*Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!!

try GABELLI WINES OF MENDOCINO COUNTY CALIFORNIA instead.

old-fashioned norhtern Italian secret recipes with UC Davis know-how and
Mendo-gusto grapes and climes and tempermant of the vintnters.

for more info:

click on:

http://www.gabrielli-winery.com

(-->>BeTTeR LiVinG Thru BetteR LiVING !!<<----)

GABRIELLI WINERY & VINEYARDS OF MENDOCINO For The BIGGEST BOLDEST &
SASSIEST REDS:

Zany & ZaFTiG ZINFANDELS +++ Sassy SYRIAHs +++ SEXY Sangiovese +++
Piquant PINOT NOIRs:
http://www.gabrielli-winery.com

http://community.webtv.net/rosaphilia/h2Rosaphilias

Vilco [out]

*Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!! wrote:
> try GABELLI WINES OF MENDOCINO COUNTY CALIFORNIA instead.
>
> old-fashioned norhtern Italian secret recipes with UC
> Davis know-how and Mendo-gusto grapes and climes and
> tempermant of the vintnters.
>
> for more info:

Ok, ok, calm down now...
You've finally demonstrated Helier was correct.
PLONK

Vilco