Steve Grant

Default Verget Puligny-Montrachet Les Pucelles '93

Is it me, or is it the wine?

I've opened two bottles of these recently and been sorely disappointed both
times. All acid, no fruit. Did I buy too late? (Mixed case lot at an
Acker-Merrall-Condit auction late last year.) Just get a bad six-lot? I've
had good luck with other wines from Verget; is this just a clunker that I
should write off to experience?

Dale Williams

In article >, "Steve Grant"
> writes:

>I've opened two bottles of these recently and been sorely disappointed both
>times. All acid, no fruit. Did I buy too late? (Mixed case lot at an
>Acker-Merrall-Condit auction late last year.) Just get a bad six-lot? I've
>had good luck with other wines from Verget; is this just a clunker that I
>should write off to experience?

Haven't had this particular wine, but I can't say I've been impressed with any
'93 white Burg recently. Liked some Niellons and Ramonets a few years ago. But
the vintage was always a bit thin on the fruit, and the acidity levels quite
high (I'm a person who likes high-acid wines, but with some balance). When you
combine thin fruit, high acid, and lots of wood (haven't had this wine, but
Guffens is pretty oak-oriented), it's not a real recipe for aging.

As you haven't liked the 2 you've had, I'd try the following:
1) vary serving temp. Have you been serving fairly cold? Warmer temps seem to
de-accentuate acidity, and might even bring out more fruit
2) I find white Burgs respond well sometimes to air. Decanting might help (not
something I normally recommend for wines that might be getting past it, but
sounds like little to lose here).
3) put them up on winecommune or winebid. Or offer them in trde if you have a
local group

Good luck!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Steve Grant

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Steve Grant"
> > writes:
>

> >I've opened two bottles of these recently and been sorely disappointed

both
> >times. All acid, no fruit. Did I buy too late? (Mixed case lot at an
> >Acker-Merrall-Condit auction late last year.) Just get a bad six-lot?

I've
> >had good luck with other wines from Verget; is this just a clunker that I
> >should write off to experience?
> >

> Haven't had this particular wine, but I can't say I've been impressed with

any
> '93 white Burg recently. Liked some Niellons and Ramonets a few years ago.

But
> the vintage was always a bit thin on the fruit, and the acidity levels

quite
> high (I'm a person who likes high-acid wines, but with some balance). When

you
> combine thin fruit, high acid, and lots of wood (haven't had this wine,

but
> Guffens is pretty oak-oriented), it's not a real recipe for aging.
>
> As you haven't liked the 2 you've had, I'd try the following:
> 1) vary serving temp. Have you been serving fairly cold? Warmer temps seem

> de-accentuate acidity, and might even bring out more fruit

Dale, you must have peeked! You're right that I've been serving this cold.

> 2) I find white Burgs respond well sometimes to air. Decanting might help

(not
> something I normally recommend for wines that might be getting past it,

but
> sounds like little to lose here).

Easily done, and you're quite right about the risk / reward.

> 3) put them up on winecommune or winebid. Or offer them in trde if you

have a
> local group

4) Toss some into a bechamel sauce and see what happens?

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Steve Grant,

le/on 02 Mar 2004 23:23:53 EST, tu disais/you said:-

>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Steve Grant"
>> > writes:
>>

>> 3) put them up on winecommune or winebid. Or offer them in trde if you
>> have a local group

>4) Toss some into a bechamel sauce and see what happens?

Chuckle.. Though I'd not really recommend it. Bleurgh, in fact.

However there are planty of uses for wine to cook with. But a 1st growth, no
matter how much you don't like it, is a bit of an exaggeration! Sell it or
trade it.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

1995 Puligny Montrachet Bi!! Wine 0 11-06-2012 02:41 PM
TN Puligny-Montrachet Les Referts 1981, D. Etienne Sauzet cwdjrxyz Wine 0 04-06-2007 10:59 PM
1995 Domaine Leflaive Puligny Montrachet les Pucelles Bi!! Wine 6 24-01-2007 09:34 PM
1992 Dom. Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet "les Pucelles" Bi!! Wine 7 13-12-2006 08:58 PM
Puligny Montrachet 1ere cru Champs Canet 2001 jcoulter Wine 0 14-06-2005 01:14 AM