cherie

Default surf n'turf

Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

-Cherie M.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi cherie,

le/on 25 Feb 2004 07:47:36 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?
>
>-Cherie M.

Hey, Cherie, you're a real masochist!!!! Your last was a stonker for a wine
match (and no I WASN'T suggesting a blush Zinfandel, but a real rosé! (said
with a grin and tongue in cheek)) and this is hardly easier. I've had the
mix and it's not really my fave, I have to say.

Lobster has a slight sweetness and is delicat-ish while steak is - dare I
say it - beefy!! The match is not at all easy, and once again is a matter of
damage limitation. A wine that would REALLY compliment and complement a
lobster, isn't going to stand up to a nicely grilled filet. A wine that will
make a filet shine and be enhanced by it (red - I'd look to
Gevrey-Chambertin) really won't do much for the lobster. Given that I don't
do surf'n'turf that often (like almost never) I will defer to Mike Tommasi
when he suggests a Languedoc wine - especially knowing where you're at with
wine.

Otherwise, I'd underwrite what Dale has to say. (As I usually do).

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Mike Tommasi

(cherie) writes:

>>Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

>This has come up before, the two foods are pretty contradictory from a wine
>standpoint. I personally would try these options (in order):
>1) Say "what the hell" and serve two wines, white Burgundy (chardonnay) for the
>lobster and a big cab-based red (Napa cabernet or Left-bank Bordeaux probably
>in my case).
>2) Go with brut Champagne, which is pretty forgiving.
>3) Go for the biggest California Chardonnay you can find (good with the
>lobster, and won't get killed by the meat)
>4) Go for a lighter food-friendly red such as Bourgogne from a good maker, or a
>good Beaujolais.
>
>Bigger reds are really going to overwhelm the lobster.

Dale

I believe that a red will be less damaging to the lobster than the
disastrous effect of red meat on a chard (just overwhelms the wine) or
a champagne (clashes with the acidity).

In fact, I have tasted lobster prepared with red wine and matched to
Languedoc red, and it was stunning, at first unbelievable but later
just stunning. The perfume of a well made southern red is a good
complement to the delicate aroma of lobster.

This is coming from someone who thinks that scampi and Barolo are the
definition of a bad match. I must admit I never tried it. Maybe some
day. ;-)

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link
http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Mark Lipton

cherie wrote:

> Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

Yes, two bottles: a chardonnay and a good red wine.

Mark Lipton

p.s. If two bottles are too much, find some other people to drink them
with! ;-)

Dale Williams

In article >, Mike Tommasi
> writes:

>I believe that a red will be less damaging to the lobster than the
>disastrous effect of red meat on a chard (just overwhelms the wine) or
>a champagne (clashes with the acidity).
>
>In fact, I have tasted lobster prepared with red wine and matched to
>Languedoc red, and it was stunning, at first unbelievable but later
>just stunning. The perfume of a well made southern red is a good
>complement to the delicate aroma of lobster.

Mike,

My overwhelming favorite of the options I presented would be the 2 wines
scenario. But I've actually been ok with beef with both Champagne & BIG (we're
talking Kistler type) Chardonnay. Though in both cases the beef was some kind
of appetizer dish (kebabs on skewers) that was more well-done than would be the
case if I was cooking a filet (I'm more the "bleu" type).

I agree there could be lobster dishes that would stand up to red (especially if
using red wine in prep), but whenver I've seen the term "surf'n'turf" it
referred to grilled/broiled steak or fillet and steamed lobster (with usually
just drawn butter).

But in any case you & Ian are both right- one wine for beef and lobster will
basically mean a tradeoff- there's going to be a problem somewhere along the
line (question is of damage control).

Best,

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Tom S

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> I believe that a red will be less damaging to the lobster than the
> disastrous effect of red meat on a chard (just overwhelms the wine) or
> a champagne (clashes with the acidity).

Hi, Mike -

Not all Chardonnays are created equal. I rather favor the style that can
stand up to _any_ food - even without a glass! The kind that would stomp
flounder _flat_ (if it weren't already). The kind that you might think is
_red_ if you drank it from a black glass... ;^D

Tom S

Dana Myers

cherie wrote:
> Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

Why "surf and turf"? Why not serve a lobster dish one night, and
a beef dish the other? Or, at least, a seafood course and a beef course,
with different wines for each?

Dana
RV WRLee

>Why "surf and turf"? Why not serve a lobster dish one night, and
>a beef dish the other? Or, at least, a seafood course and a beef course,
>with different wines for each?

I agree with you Dana. I'm not sure where the pairing of lobster and filet of
beef came together for the first time but I've never had a wine that is a great
match for the combination since the flavors are so very different and alone
they both make excellent foods for wine.
Bi!!

cherie

Thank you everyone! These are great suggestions! I can't remember
the last time I had "surf n' turf", usually just one or the other, and
the wine selection is clearly much easier (ignorance is bliss).
(Actually, I recently dined on lobster tails with an AMERONE, don't
yell at me). Last Saturday night I had a filet with a wonderful
Sequioa Grove Cab. But this weekend, my husband and I are travelling
to visit friends in St. Louis who are taking us to a fondue restaurant
Saturday night. Not being a huge fondue fan, I perused the restaurant
website which to my relief was not all about cheese and other forms of
fat. I determined I would probably be ordering the filet or lobster,
and then saw a "dinner for two" option involving both. Then of course
I thought about the wine ... believe it or not, our St. Louis friends
usually look to ME to choose the wine (don't laugh too loud now)!
It's all relative, huh? Friday night we are cooking dinner at their
home...I have no idea what the menu is...so I'm bringing
Champagne--goes with most appetizers, don't you think?

-Cherie
cherie

Mike Tommasi > wrote in message >. ..
> On 25 Feb 2004 07:47:36 -0800, (cherie)
> wrote:
>

> Coteaux du Languedoc

Ooh, I will have to write that one down.

Cherie
cherie

Dana Myers > wrote in message news:<403da3dd$1@wobble>...
> cherie wrote:
> > Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

> Why "surf and turf"? Why not serve a lobster dish one night, and
> a beef dish the other? Or, at least, a seafood course and a beef course,
> with different wines for each?
>
> Dana

Well, I'm not serving anything. I will be one of six people at a
restaurant--a reunion of good friends--and I foresee a festive
feasting mentality with lots of steak and lobster on the table. There
may be sharing going on, if not surf n'turf orders. Personally, my
husband and I almost never keep our forks confined to our own plates
(we share, I don't mean we steal from our friends' plates). Clearly
there will be enough of us to get both red and white wine, and this is
a great suggestion (Mark, Ian, and Dale)--but here is the lingering
question...what would you have me do: take a sip of white, a bite of
lobster, a sip of white, a sip of red, a bite of filet, a sip of red,
a sip of white, and so on? This is making my stomach growl.

-Cherie
Dana Myers

cherie wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message news:<403da3dd$1@wobble>...
>
>>cherie wrote:
>>
>>>Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

>>Why "surf and turf"? Why not serve a lobster dish one night, and
>>a beef dish the other? Or, at least, a seafood course and a beef course,
>>with different wines for each?
>>
>>Dana

> Well, I'm not serving anything. I will be one of six people at a
> restaurant--a reunion of good friends--and I foresee a festive
> feasting mentality with lots of steak and lobster on the table. There
> may be sharing going on, if not surf n'turf orders.

Ah. I'd order both red and white wine in this case.

> Clearly
> there will be enough of us to get both red and white wine, and this is
> a great suggestion (Mark, Ian, and Dale)--but here is the lingering
> question...what would you have me do: take a sip of white, a bite of
> lobster, a sip of white, a sip of red, a bite of filet, a sip of red,
> a sip of white, and so on? This is making my stomach growl.

I'd probably eat the lobster with the appropriate wine, then
eat the beef with the appropriate. But I'm an engineer, so I
tend to approach things like that with a lot structure.

Dana
Dick R

Dana Myers wrote:
<big snip>

> I'd probably eat the lobster with the appropriate wine, then
> eat the beef with the appropriate. But I'm an engineer, so I
> tend to approach things like that with a lot structure.
>
> Dana

To me, surf n' turf is like a two course meal on one plate.
I would do the same - lobster first.

Dick

Zed

>Dana Myers > wrote in message news:<403da3dd$1@wobble>...
>> cherie wrote:
>> > Lobster and filet: Wine suggestions anyone?

>> Why "surf and turf"? Why not serve a lobster dish one night, and
>> a beef dish the other? Or, at least, a seafood course and a beef course,
>> with different wines for each?
>>
>> Dana

Well, why limit yourself to just one type of food?
When we have get-togethers we routinely serve an 8-12 course meal
including various cheeses, other appetizers, some soup, like roasted
carrot or something like that, tapanade pizza, shrimp, muscles,
clams, some fish, orange roasted duck , (or soem type of rabbit)
beef roast or steak to close.
Around 8-10 people usually, same amount of wine during the evening.
Various whites and reds. Left overs for 3 days. :-)
Closing with desserts with a good Tokaji and Armagnac.
I can't imagine eating just 1 type of food during occasions like that.
Where would the fun be?
Zed

---
"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups:
Alcohol, Caffeine, Sugar & Fat"

Surf & Turf, only different Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 02-08-2010 04:42 PM
Surf and Turf Nick Cramer Barbecue 3 07-06-2010 02:17 AM
Surf and Turf Sqwertz Barbecue 5 06-06-2010 07:42 PM