Default Finding good Amarone without spending $40 bottle???

I am seeking to try Amarone (for the "chocolaty" essence I've been seeking,
that many of you suggested), but I see that it appears to be VERY
expensive....any lower priced suggestions so that I might first get my feet
(and tongue!) wet before shelling out $$ for something I won't enjoy???
Any suggestions are appreciated

Tom S

> wrote in message
> I am seeking to try Amarone (for the "chocolaty" essence I've been

seeking,
> that many of you suggested), but I see that it appears to be VERY
> expensive....any lower priced suggestions so that I might first get my

feet
> (and tongue!) wet before shelling out $$ for something I won't enjoy???
> Any suggestions are appreciated

Trader Joe's has had one for the past couple of vintages for $10US. It's a
pretty nice Amarone for the money, but chocolatey? Probably not.

Tom S

Jan Bøgh

"Tom S" > wrote in message

> Trader Joe's has had one for the past couple of vintages for $10US.
> It's a pretty nice Amarone for the money, but chocolatey? Probably
> not.

A nice Amarone for $10 is a pure miracle!

regards
Jan

Bill Spohn

>A nice Amarone for $10 is a pure miracle!

Right up there with an honest politician and Santa Claus, I'd say.
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

> skrev i meddelandet
> I am seeking to try Amarone (for the "chocolaty" essence I've been

seeking,
> that many of you suggested), but I see that it appears to be VERY
> expensive....any lower priced suggestions so that I might first get my

feet
> (and tongue!) wet before shelling out $$ for something I won't enjoy???
> Any suggestions are appreciated

I agree that a USD 10 Amarone shuld make one look out for blue moons, pigs
of an aviatory natyure, etc.

You could try the Zenato RIpassa - not an amarone, but has somewhat of the
character (don´t go for the Masi RIpasso)
The Ripasso wines are traditionally made by a second fermentationj
(ripassare), of a Valpolicella, to which is added the still sugar containing
lees from an Amarone.
Here, the Zenato cost SEK 149, which comes to c. USD 20.

A slightly pricier alternative is the Masi Grandinella Appassimento, which
is made using the same technique as an Amarone, but not from the central 5
villages required for the DOC,and also containing one varietal not allowed
in a true Amarone. It would set you back about USD 26-27. Very nice wine
which has not disappointed me so far.

HTH

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Bill Spohn

>A slightly pricier alternative is the Masi Grandinella Appassimento, which
>is made using the same technique as an Amarone, but not from the central 5
>villages required for the DOC,and also containing one varietal not allowed
>in a true Amarone.

Nils, that is Grandarella.

It is Refosco, Carmenere and Corvina, whereas the Amarone they produce is
Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara .

We get the Grandarella for $30 Can - about US $22, and it is a bargain. Loveley
wine. Has anyone tasted the 2000 yet?

They are also doing a similar wine, Corbec Appassimento, in the Mendoza region
of Argentina, though I've not tasted it.
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 06:06:20 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>I agree that a USD 10 Amarone shuld make one look out for blue moons, pigs
>of an aviatory natyure, etc.
>
>You could try the Zenato RIpassa - not an amarone, but has somewhat of the
>character (don´t go for the Masi RIpasso)
>The Ripasso wines are traditionally made by a second fermentationj
>(ripassare), of a Valpolicella, to which is added the still sugar containing
>lees from an Amarone.
>Here, the Zenato cost SEK 149, which comes to c. USD 20.

Coincidentally, the UPS man delivered a case of Zenato Ripassa 2000 to
my door yesterday PM. Found it online at PJ Liquor Warehouse in New
York. (www.pjwine.com which is a very slow server) for a bargain
$15.99 US per bottle. Ordered on 1/21 and received on 1/27. Pretty
good service.

As a trivia note, Zenato labels their wine Ripassa (with a terminal A)
rather than Ripasso, which is the name of the style of wine, to avoid
copyright/trademark issues. Regardless, it is a wonderful wine.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
gedh

"Villalta", Tedeschi and Vignale Amarone are all around 13 GBP so I would
think should be about 20 USD. Alternatively you could try a half-bottle if
you can find one - I think Tommasi do one and Vignale used to do a 50cl

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

> As a trivia note, Zenato labels their wine Ripassa (with a terminal A)
> rather than Ripasso, which is the name of the style of wine, to avoid
> copyright/trademark issues. Regardless, it is a wonderful wine.

So that´s the reason. I have wondered about that at times

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

> Nils, that is Grandarella.

Oopsie - thank you for pointing it out. Grandarella it is.

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se