Quin Filips

Default Need help About this wine - I'm a newbie at wine

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
My brother gave me this bottle of wine from his cellar and I wanted to
know more about it and it's current value range.<br>
Where would I find this type of info?&nbsp; Is there a master wine cost book
somewhere or a website I can go to to get this info?<br>
Any help would be appreciated.<br>
The bottle is mostly written in German or Hungarian.<br>
<hr width="100%" size="2"><br>
1981<br>
Ersekhalom-Bischofsberger<br>
Hungarian Sp&auml;tburgunder<br>
</b><br>
Product of Hungary<br>
Bottled an shipped by Ferdinand Pieroth GMBH, Burg Layen, West-Germany<br>
<hr width="100%" size="2"><br>

Michael Pronay

Quin Filips > wrote:

Would you mind reposting in plain text, please?

This is unreadable, thank you.

M.

> <head>
> content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title>
> </head>
> My brother gave me this bottle of wine from his cellar and I
> wanted to know more about it and it's current value range.<br>
> Where would I find this type of info?&nbsp; Is there a master
> wine cost book somewhere or a website I can go to to get this
> info?<br> Any help would be appreciated.<br>
> The bottle is mostly written in German or Hungarian.<br>
> <hr width="100%" size="2"><br>
> 1981<br>
> Ersekhalom-Bischofsberger<br>
> Hungarian Sp&auml;tburgunder<br>
> </b><br>
> Product of Hungary<br>
> Bottled an shipped by Ferdinand Pieroth GMBH, Burg Layen,
> West-Germany<br> <br>
> <hr width="100%" size="2"><br>
>
> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm

Cggeorgecox

I think he ment for you to drink it, not sell it.

George Cox
Anders Tørneskog

Hi
I'm afraid your bottle is of no great value.. It seems to be an overaged Burgundy-type (Pinot Noir) red wine without a specified producer marketed by a German company (Pieroth) which afaik caters to the low-end market..
But I could be wrong about the quality... :-)
Drink - and tell us about it - could be interesting, but be sure to have a backup bottle!
"Quin Filips" > wrote in message news:xzMGb.460445$Dw6.1373235@attbi_s02...
My brother gave me this bottle of wine from his cellar and I wanted to know more about it and it's current value range.

Where would I find this type of info? Is there a master wine cost book somewhere or a website I can go to to get this info?
Any help would be appreciated.

The bottle is mostly written in German or Hungarian.

Pieroth
1981
Ersekhalom-Bischofsberger
Hungarian Spätburgunder

Red Ausbruch Grape Wine

Product of Hungary
Bottled an shipped by Ferdinand Pieroth GMBH, Burg Layen, West-Germany

Quin Filips

Sorry about that....

Michael Pronay wrote:

>Quin Filips > wrote:
>
>Would you mind reposting in plain text, please?
>
>This is unreadable, thank you.
>
>M.
>

>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>><head>
>> content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title>
>></head>
>>My brother gave me this bottle of wine from his cellar and I
>>wanted to know more about it and it's current value range.<br>
>>Where would I find this type of info?&nbsp; Is there a master
>>wine cost book somewhere or a website I can go to to get this
>>info?<br> Any help would be appreciated.<br>
>>The bottle is mostly written in German or Hungarian.<br>
>><hr width="100%" size="2"><br>
>>1981<br>
>>Ersekhalom-Bischofsberger<br>
>>Hungarian Sp&auml;tburgunder<br>
>></b><br>
>>Product of Hungary<br>
>>Bottled an shipped by Ferdinand Pieroth GMBH, Burg Layen,
>>West-Germany<br> <br>
>><hr width="100%" size="2"><br>
>>
>>Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm

Michael Pronay

Quin Filips > wrote:

> The bottle is mostly written in German or Hungarian.
>
> Pieroth
> 1981
> Ersekhalom-Bischofsberger
> Hungarian Spätburgunder
>
> Red Ausbruch Grape Wine
>
> Product of Hungary
> Bottled an shipped by Ferdinand Pieroth GMBH, Burg Layen,
> West-Germany

Well, a short count reveals 13 English words against 9 in German
(of which 7 names) and 1 Hungarian, but anyhow:

That's cheapish sweetish red plonk, made from pinot noir, designed
for the low end of the German market. Absolutely no commercial
value, curiosity only.

M.
Michael Pronay

Anders Tørneskog > wrote:

> It seems to be an overaged Burgundy-type (Pinot Noir) red wine
> without a specified producer marketed by a German company
> (Pieroth) which afaik caters to the low-end market.

True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").

M.
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

> True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").

So, a _sweet_ Pinot Noir? That´s ... odd.
(Now I know somebody´s gonna tell me about the really _great_ sweet PN's
made in Outer Mongolia or from this small but perfect plot in ... you name
it ... and I´m sooo looking forward to it!)
)))

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se
..

Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>> True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").

> So, a _sweet_ Pinot Noir?

Yes. "Ausbruch" in Hungarian is "Aszù", a term you probaly know
from Tokaj. In Austria, Ausbruch ranges between Beerenauslese and
Trockenbeerenauslese, requiring a minimum must weight of 139°Oe =
38.1°Brix (BA is 127°Oe = 29.4°Brix, TBA 156°Oe = 35.3°Brix). But
I am 100% sure that this wine is sweetened and not a botrytis
wine.

Btw, you can find botrytised reds in Austria; Alois Kracher
regularly has a red TBA in his collection, usually from zweigelt.

> That´s ... odd.
> (Now I know somebody´s gonna tell me about the really _great_
> sweet PN's made in Outer Mongolia or from this small but perfect
> plot in ... you name it ... and I´m sooo looking forward to it!)
> )))

I've had a few pinot noir TBAs: Usually rather very light in
colour, and not something that gets me excited.

M.
Cwdjrx _

Nils states:"So, a _sweet_ Pinot Noir? That=B4s ... odd. (Now I know
somebody=B4s gonna tell me about the really _great_ sweet PN's made in
Outer Mongolia or from this small but perfect plot in ... you name it
... and I=B4m sooo looking forward to it!)".

You may only have to go to Germany to find a sweet Pinot Noir. Perhaps
some is even exported to your country. Sp=E4tburgunder, as it is called
in Germany, is Pinot Noir. It is grown in several parts of Germany, but
for a long time at Assmannshausen in the Rheingau. The dry wine made
from Sp=E4tburgunder there in many years is very light and nearly a pink
wine. However sweet auslese wines long have been made there in years
when conditions are right. I have never tasted the very sweet version,
mainly because I did not think I would like it enough to seek it out. I
would not be surprised to find a sweet Pinot Noir from Austria also. It
seems that someone in Austria either makes, or has tried to make, a
sweet, late harvest wine from just about every grape that will grow
there, be it whiteor red.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Dana Myers

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>>True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").

> So, a _sweet_ Pinot Noir? That´s ... odd.
> (Now I know somebody´s gonna tell me about the really _great_ sweet PN's
> made in Outer Mongolia or from this small but perfect plot in ... you name
> it ... and I´m sooo looking forward to it!)
> )))

This week I had dinner at my sister's, she served a
delightful Anderson Valley oddity, Husch Late Harvest Pinot
Noir. At 8.5% residual sugar, it was only mildy sweet and
finished remarkably clean and quite dry-feeling. It was
a treat.

Dana
Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message

> True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").
>
> M.

Hi Michael,
I wasn't too sure whether that would be a sweet wine - interpreting Ausbruch
as an expression of ripeness, equal to Auslese, and so possibly fermented to
dryness...
Wouldn't the common Bordeaux grapes reach sugar levels equal to Ausbruch, by
the way?
Anders

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

>> True. And definitely on the very sweet side ("Ausbruch").

> I wasn't too sure whether that would be a sweet wine -
> interpreting Ausbruch as an expression of ripeness, equal to
> Auslese, and so possibly fermented to dryness...

No. Ausbruch must readings (according to Austrian wine law) would
mean an alcohol content of 20%, so Ausbruch can never be dry.

You might have confounded it with "Ausstich" - a term that, like
Auslese, means something like "choice of the best", but has no
legal definition. Auslese, otoh, in Austria has to have a minimum
must weight of 21°KMW = 21°babo = 105°Oe = 24.7°brix which
correspond to 13.5 to 14% of alcohol, so this latter can be dry.
Note that in Germany, Auslese minimum sugar contents are much
lower.

> Wouldn't the common Bordeaux grapes reach sugar levels equal to
> Ausbruch, by the way?

Absolutely not - except if you talk about Sauternes, Monbazillac
et. al. in very good years.

M.
Topi Kuusinen

Cwdjrx _ wrote:

> Nils states:"So, a _sweet_ Pinot Noir? That´s ... odd. (Now I know
> somebody´s gonna tell me about the really _great_ sweet PN's made in
> Outer Mongolia or from this small but perfect plot in ... you name it
> .. and I´m sooo looking forward to it!)".
>
> You may only have to go to Germany to find a sweet Pinot Noir. Perhaps
> some is even exported to your country. Spätburgunder, as it is called
> in Germany, is Pinot Noir. It is grown in several parts of Germany, but
> for a long time at Assmannshausen in the Rheingau. The dry wine made
> from Spätburgunder there in many years is very light and nearly a pink
> wine.

I bought a bottle of dry Assmanshäuser red the first time I visited
Rheingau. It was marketed as a local specialty so I did not have much
expectations for it and was therefore not disappointed.

I can't remember the producer any more, but there was not much to
remember anyway. Light and thin are good descriptors for at least this
wine. There might, however, be better examples of red from
Assmanshausen, but based on the one bottle I've had I would not want to
spend my time on a random search for them.

Cheers,

-Topi Kuusinen, Finland

Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message

> No. Ausbruch must readings (according to Austrian wine law) would
> mean an alcohol content of 20%, so Ausbruch can never be dry.

> > Wouldn't the common Bordeaux grapes reach sugar levels equal to
> > Ausbruch, by the way?

> Absolutely not - except if you talk about Sauternes, Monbazillac
> et. al. in very good years.

Thank you Michael - I should have been aware that Ausbruch was that high up
in must readings! See now by Google that it is at least 27 KMW = about 139
Oechsle = about 31.7 Brix. Maybe not too impressive in California or
Morocco but certainly a quite high level in more northern areas!
Anders

Cwdjrx _

The Pinot Noir (Sp=E4tburgunder) grapes of Assmannsh=E4usen were brought
there from the Burgundy region of France by Cistercian monks in the 12th
century. Thus the "late burgundy" name (translated from German) is quite
logical. The Cistercian monks had very important holdings in Burgundy in
the 12th century. The quaity of the wine and area of production had
diminished in the early 1900s. The State Domain became holder of the
largest part of the vineyards, and did much work to improve the
quality. In the really poor years they sold the wine for making
Sekt(sparkling wine). Most of the wine I have seen from Assmannsh=E4usen
is from the State Domain. The best vineyard may be H=F6llenberg. Even
despite the efforts of the state, the wine is very different from
Burgundy, and few would consider even the better examples great. The
sweet auslese version seems to be relatively rare, especialy outside of
Germany, probably because weather conditions seldom are favorable to
make a good example of it. A Weissherbst also sometimes is made here. A
Weissherbst often is a very pale pink. Michael Broadbent tasted a 1989
Assmannsh=E4user Weissherbst Auslese from Allendorf. He described it as
"Warm amber; crisp, raisiy; medium-sweet, cinnamon spiciness, good
acidity, dry finish" He rated it 3-star out of 5-star. From this
description, I would guess that few people would connect it with either
Burgundy or Pinot Noir in a blind tasting.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Xyzsch

>No. Ausbruch must readings (according to Austrian wine law) would
>mean an alcohol content of 20%, so Ausbruch can never be dry.

Michael

Are saying that these wines reach 20% alcohol, or that they have residual sugar
when the fermentation stops. Pardon my rudimentary knowledge of winemaking, but
my understanding is that fermentation stops when most still wines reach 15 - 16
% alcohol.

Tom Schellberg

Knagsted

"Cwdjrx _" > skrev i en meddelelse
The Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder) grapes of Assmannshäusen were brought
there from the Burgundy region of France by Cistercian monks in the 12th
century.

Besides in Assmannshäusen, spätburgunder is widely grown in the Ahr Valley,
just south of Bonn. The liblich-versions are good drinking for a picnic on
a hot summers day, and there is a nice rotweinwanderweg (red-wine footpath)
that will guide you from winegrower to winegrower. Some 10 years ago I
brought 1/2 bottle of Spätburgunder Auslese, just of curiosity. However,
when I eventually opened it some years later it was undrinkable. Maybe I
should give the sweet redwines another go when I'm visiting Germany next
time. I remember some nice sweet Amarone Recioto's, but that's quite another
story.
To return to the expression "Ausbruch": I think it in Austria is used for a
sweet wine to which plain grape-juice had been added, after fermentation? A
Hungarian "Ausbruch", imported to Germany, is something I would never trust
nor touch. I wonder why we find these cheap east-european sweet wines in
Germany at all.....
HK

Michael Pronay

"Knagsted" > wrote:

> To return to the expression "Ausbruch": I think it in Austria is
> used for a sweet wine to which plain grape-juice had been added,
> after fermentation?

No. Fresh grape juice may be added to the shrivelled botrxtis
berries to better "break out" (that's what "Ausbruch" literally
means) the very sweet juice. In practice, this is almost never
done - it's just a additional category between Beerenauslese and
TBA.

M.
Xyzsch

<snip original question re Ausbruch wines and alcohol content>

>> Pardon my rudimentary knowledge of winemaking, but my
>> understanding is that fermentation stops when most still wines
>> reach 15 - 16 % alcohol.

>Exactly. These values are reached
> only exceptionally, normal
>maximum would be 13 to 14%. Most winegrowers consider alcohol
>contents between 12.0 and 13.5% as ideal.
>
>M.

Thanks for the clarification Michael.

Tom Schellberg

Newbie Wine Q TheScullster Wine 3 15-11-2010 03:09 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine CabFan Wine 5 19-07-2004 11:50 PM
Newbie wine question -red wine Al Wine 1 18-07-2004 05:45 PM
Wine Newbie [email protected] Wine 19 11-07-2004 05:10 AM
wine newbie Tang Wine 1 11-01-2004 07:53 PM