Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default What to drink with turkey?

Hello;
Eldest son came with a news paper cutting, please make this for Xmas: turkey
with a filling of ground pork and mushrooms, apparently from the treasures
of the Swedish Brillat-Savarin, Cajsa Warg (in Sweden tied to the saying
"One takes what one has", which maybe does not make much sense in foreign
lingos). So the recipe contains little spices and herbs, and should be
served with boiled peas and black currant jelly.
So self asks, I beg ya, what does one drink with this? In my never very
humble opinion black currant jelly kills any wine in a msot dastardly
fashion, perhaps we could leave it or, just serve it as an option. The bird
is not very rich in flavour in and by itself. A red burg? A smooth, velvety
Savigny-le-Beaune, or a Volnay even? Or perhaps one should go for a white?!
(Pinot Gris comes to mind)
I would appreciate any and all advice. Just keep it on the European side of
the Atlantic - US wines come at a cost in Sweden and seldom give a good QPR.
I do have some Oz and South Africans hid away in the cellar, but not a great
many. Why the US wines are so exepnsive, I do not know.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Cwdjrx _

By itself, a roast turkey without too much spice,herbs, and pepper in
the stuffing should go at least fairly well with many reds and whites.
The black currant jelly does pose a problem, much as cranberry sauce and
candied yams do for a US Thanksgiving dinner. I would tend not to serve
an expensive wine if the red currant jelly is served. A wine with a bit
of sweetness and considerable spice might work. An off-dry
Gewurztraminer from Alsace, Germany or elsewhere might work fairly well.
So that your guests do not think of you as Scrooge, you could serve a
very good Champagne to start the meal or a very good vintage port or
Cognac to end the meal. Or you could serve any number of good red or
white wines with the turkey for those who are willing to forego the
currant jelly, and have the Gewurztraminer for those who must have the
jelly. Of course you may need to explain that you will serve either of
the two wines, but that you feel that one of them does not go well with
currant jelly.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

jcoulter

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in
:

> Hello;
> Eldest son came with a news paper cutting, please make this for Xmas:
> turkey with a filling of ground pork and mushrooms, apparently from
> the treasures of the Swedish Brillat-Savarin, Cajsa Warg (in Sweden
> tied to the saying "One takes what one has", which maybe does not make
> much sense in foreign lingos). So the recipe contains little spices
> and herbs, and should be served with boiled peas and black currant
> jelly. So self asks, I beg ya, what does one drink with this? In my
> never very humble opinion black currant jelly kills any wine in a msot
> dastardly fashion, perhaps we could leave it or, just serve it as an
> option. The bird is not very rich in flavour in and by itself. A red
> burg? A smooth, velvety Savigny-le-Beaune, or a Volnay even? Or
> perhaps one should go for a white?! (Pinot Gris comes to mind)
> I would appreciate any and all advice. Just keep it on the European
> side of the Atlantic - US wines come at a cost in Sweden and seldom
> give a good QPR. I do have some Oz and South Africans hid away in the
> cellar, but not a great many. Why the US wines are so exepnsive, I do
> not know.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf

At my house the concern is more over who will spill the red wine so we stay
with white. I tend toward Pouilly Fuisse or St Veran as again my relatives
are not people prone to noticing really good wine and I try to save a bit
on good not great wine.
congokid

In message >, Nils Gustaf
Lindgren > writes

>I would appreciate any and all advice. Just keep it on the European side of
>the Atlantic

Unfortunately my copy of the Pocket Food & Wine Guide (from Sainsbury's
supermarket) doesn't recommend many European options with turkey.

It suggests untannic Australian, Chilean or Californian cabernet, which
go well with turkey with pork stuffing that contains fresh herbs (thyme,
marjoram, parsley, and a little sage), with onion. Shiraz might also
suit. But this doesn't apply for sausage meat flavoured with dry herbs,
in particular lots of sage.

It ends by suggesting that food purists that like all the trimmings may
have to compromise on wine choice, while the wine purists will have to
choose the trimmings to suit their wine.

For roast turkey by itself the book recommends Australian Shiraz
Cabernet, so that might be a good one to serve for guests who can do
without sauces or stuffing. Not as good as Shiraz are northern Rhone
reds.

Champagne is also OK, but softer sparkling wines from Australia,
California or New Zealand, made with champagne grapes, are better. The
only other European wine it suggests is Spanish rosado made from the
Garnacha grape.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Cliff Brown

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>I would appreciate any and all advice. Just keep it on the European side of
>the Atlantic - US wines come at a cost in Sweden and seldom give a good QPR.
>I do have some Oz and South Africans hid away in the cellar, but not a great
>many. Why the US wines are so exepnsive, I do not know.

It sounds like a lower end, softer, Cotes du Rhone would work with this
dish. I think you would want one that is not too tanic. A lower end
wine we've enjoyed with a chicken prepared fairly similar to this a
couple months ago was a 2000 M. Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone Belleruche.
The wine had a fruity aroma with just a touch of oak showing through.
It was not very complex, but it had nice acidity with very soft tanins.
I'm not sure of the price of the wine in your area, but I purchased mine
at Sam's in Chicago during a clearance sale for US$3.27 a bottle.

No guarantees if you load up on the black currant jelly.

Have a happy and safe holiday.

Cliff

Emery Davis

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:50:13 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > said:

] Hello;
] Eldest son came with a news paper cutting, please make this for Xmas: turkey
] with a filling of ground pork and mushrooms, apparently from the treasures
] of the Swedish Brillat-Savarin, Cajsa Warg (in Sweden tied to the saying
] "One takes what one has", which maybe does not make much sense in foreign
] lingos). So the recipe contains little spices and herbs, and should be
] served with boiled peas and black currant jelly.
[]
Hi Nils,

A young (2000) Ch. La Nerthe would do the trick as well as any!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
YorkshireSoul

I'm going for Ch. Musar '91 to start, then some Julio's Vine Cabernet '96
from Gallo, then probably a big Shiraz, Saltram - Barossa '99 or The
Neighbours '98 as we are having roast rib of beef as well.

Royal Tokaji '96 with the Chistmas Pud, then some Armagnac for anyone still
upright (note to self - make sure mother doesn't finish the entire bottle
this year!)

Happy Christmas to all the group,

Mike J

--
http://www.yorkshiresoul.org

Xyzsch

>It suggests untannic Australian, Chilean or Californian cabernet, which
>go well with turkey with pork stuffing that contains fresh herbs (thyme,
>marjoram, parsley, and a little sage), with onion.

A well-aged Bordeaux (over ten years) works just fine. With age comes softer
tannins and less in your face fruit.
And that's from the European side of the Atlantic.

Tom Schellberg