CabFan

Default Estate Sale Purchase

It would be quite interesting to see how a 23yo white zinfandel held up....
I am saving a 2000 Beaujolais Noveau for the very same reason
Thomas Curmudgeon

CabFan wrote:

> It would be quite interesting to see how a 23yo white zinfandel held up....
> I am saving a 2000 Beaujolais Noveau for the very same reason

I have some old welches grape juice in the back of the fridge in case
you'd like to try it too.

b becker

Steve,
Hey now !

First I would go to a classification site like,
http://www.intowine.com/bordeaux2.html
see how these chateau's fall in the pecking order.

Then off to the vintage charts :
http://www.bordeaux-vintage-charts.com/
and see what the years were like in France.

The 61 Leoville looks like the top dog, excellent year and
a 2nd growth wine. There are 3 different chateau's with the Leoville
name (it wasn't clear to me which you have) but all are 2nd growths
and '62 was more than a decent yr.

'69 sucked ! You might try that one first, as far as the Fench wines
go.

The '82's should be drinking well, it was a decent year.
The whites, both Lichine's, (and for sure the white zin -GONE) are
probably showing age but you never know. The French whites may have
hung in there.

Another most excellent bottle will be the 75 Ch. Romer du Hayot
(Sauternes). Our wine group opened a 84 Ch. d'Yquem, the top drawer
Sauternes, never tasted anything like it.

The 2 Napa bottles: Beaulieu should be great, Cain may be peaked but
hard to say, may be just fine as long as stored well.

HTH,
Cheers,
Bob

>1961 Chateau de Leoville (St. Julien)
>1962 Ch. Coufran (Haut Medoc)
>1969 Ch. Lascombes (Margaux)
>1970 Ch. Beychevelle (St. Julien)
>1970 Alexis Lichine Pinot Chardonnay
>1975 Ch. Romer du Hayot (Sauternes)
>1976 Alexis Lichine Chassagne-Montrachet
>1976 Ch. Gruaud Larose (St. Julien)
>1978 Ch. Beausejor (St. Estephe)
>1978 Ch. Haut-Bages Liberal (Pauillac)
>1979 Tytell Chavalier Bordeaux
>1980 Baldenelli Amador County White Zinfandel
>1981 Ch. Gruaud Larose (St. Julien)
>1982 Ch. Beauregard (Pomerol)
>1982 Ch. Chasse-Spleen (Moulis en Medoc)
>1982 Ch. Giscours (Margaux)
>1982 Ch. Montrose (St. Estephe)
>1982 Ch. Talbot (St. Julien)
>1982 Ayler Kupp Kabinett
>1986 Cain Cellars Napa Cabernet
>1987 Beaulieu Rutherford Napa Cabernet

Anders Tørneskog

"Steve McHenry" > wrote in message
> 1982 Ayler Kupp Kabinett

You don't say who the producer is - but an '82 Kabinett ought to be almost
dead by now. However, it will be drinkable - there is no danger trying it
(I had a '64 Kabinett a couple of years ago and I'm still alive, which the
wine wasn't... :-) But, you never know - it could still be good, especially
if from a top class estate.
Anders

Lew/+Silat

1961 Chateau Leoville Las Cases - Im thinking this is very very yummy if
kept properly......

--
Lew/+Silat

Xyzsch

>Dad recently purchased the
>following at a sale they were running and gave them to me.

>1961 Chateau de Leoville (St. Julien)
>1962 Ch. Coufran (Haut Medoc)
>1969 Ch. Lascombes (Margaux)
>1970 Ch. Beychevelle (St. Julien)
>1970 Alexis Lichine Pinot Chardonnay
>1975 Ch. Romer du Hayot (Sauternes)
>1976 Alexis Lichine Chassagne-Montrachet
>1976 Ch. Gruaud Larose (St. Julien)
>1978 Ch. Beausejor (St. Estephe)
>1978 Ch. Haut-Bages Liberal (Pauillac)
>1979 Tytell Chavalier Bordeaux
>1980 Baldenelli Amador County White Zinfandel
>1981 Ch. Gruaud Larose (St. Julien)
>1982 Ch. Beauregard (Pomerol)
>1982 Ch. Chasse-Spleen (Moulis en Medoc)
>1982 Ch. Giscours (Margaux)
>1982 Ch. Montrose (St. Estephe)
>1982 Ch. Talbot (St. Julien)
>1982 Ayler Kupp Kabinett
>1986 Cain Cellars Napa Cabernet
>1987 Beaulieu Rutherford Napa Cabernet

Of the Clarets, the 82s should be good (providing the storage WAS adequate).
The 76 and 81Gruaud Larose might be good, good producer but average years. The
70 Beychevelle might still be good (Just had an old elegant 70 Lascombes), but
serve with chicken or turkey, not beef. The 69 Lascombes you have, however, is
probably not good. I think the 78s should be nice now, if a little past prime.

With the exception of the 82 Giscours and Montrose, all the clarets should be
consumed SOON. And most of the other wines sooner.

Tom Schellberg
Xyzsch

Steve

As a followup, a group of us just had a tasting of five clarets last night
(Sat), among which were the 81 Mouton and Latour. They are nice mature
Bordeaux, with layers of subtle flavors. They do not have the ripe plummy
flavors of the 82s, but are very elegant. Again, I recommend a lighter meat for
the 81 Gruaud Larose, but I think the odds are in your favor on this one.

Note that my cellar is on the warm side (mid to upper 60s), yet these wines are
still holding nicely.

Tom Schellberg