Scott

Default Port question

Hello all,

I and a friend have recently begun experimenting with port. We've
gone for the cheap stuff first, and my friend recently picked up a
simple Osborne's tawny. When I tried it, it had a great amount of
sediment and had a thin, flat, chemical taste. I've never seen
sediment in any of the ports I've tried, and through the things I've
read, I understand that ports will not have sediment unless they are
an "old port", and naturally the simple Osborne tawny is not an old
port. So, I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause this port
to throw sediment. Did something go horrendously wrong after
bottling? Can a port go "off" in the bottle? Was this port most
likely "off" when bottled? Or is sediment and a thin, flat taste
common to this port? Thanks for any comments.
Matt

I've always thought (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the only
ports that have sediment and need decanting are vintages, single quintas,
late bottled vintages, and crusted ports. If you did indeed have a tawny
with sediment, something sounds awry.

If you want to add to your port repertoire, I like Smith Woodhouse Lodge
Reserve. It's a great deal at around $12/bottle and delicious.

"Scott" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello all,
>
> I and a friend have recently begun experimenting with port. We've
> gone for the cheap stuff first, and my friend recently picked up a
> simple Osborne's tawny. When I tried it, it had a great amount of
> sediment and had a thin, flat, chemical taste. I've never seen
> sediment in any of the ports I've tried, and through the things I've
> read, I understand that ports will not have sediment unless they are
> an "old port", and naturally the simple Osborne tawny is not an old
> port. So, I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause this port
> to throw sediment. Did something go horrendously wrong after
> bottling? Can a port go "off" in the bottle? Was this port most
> likely "off" when bottled? Or is sediment and a thin, flat taste
> common to this port? Thanks for any comments.

Beaker

On 19 Oct 2003 06:53:27 -0700, Scott quoth:
> Hello all,
>
> I and a friend have recently begun experimenting with port. We've
> gone for the cheap stuff first, and my friend recently picked up a
> simple Osborne's tawny.

I don't know their tawny, but I do recommend Osborne's LBV,
which is a very good value.

bkr

Tawny port question Clockmeister Wine 2 30-10-2005 11:58 PM
Shiraz/Syrah Port Question J~ Wine 6 04-03-2005 02:17 PM
Question about Port fermentation Chris Sprague Wine 4 04-01-2005 05:30 PM
Clocktower (Yalumba) Tawny Port question... DoubleEntendre Wine 7 23-08-2004 11:32 PM
Question about Port? al General Cooking 10 08-12-2003 06:22 AM