Scott

Default Port question

Hello all,

I and a friend have recently begun experimenting with port. We've
gone for the cheap stuff first, and my friend recently picked up a
simple Osborne's tawny. When I tried it, it had a great amount of
sediment and had a thin, flat, chemical taste. I've never seen
sediment in any of the ports I've tried, and through the things I've
read, I understand that ports will not have sediment unless they are
an "old port", and naturally the simple Osborne tawny is not an old
port. So, I was wondering if anyone knows what would cause this port
to throw sediment. Did something go horrendously wrong after
bottling? Can a port go "off" in the bottle? Was this port most
likely "off" when bottled? Or is sediment and a thin, flat taste
common to this port? Thanks for any comments.