Cape Bretoner

Default Help Wanted

I recently came accross a bottle of wine that was on a ship wreck that
sunk in 1884. Until recently it was submerged in the ocean since the
time of sinking.

The ship that it was on had a cargo of wine and champagne on it.

Currently I do not have too much information about where it would have
originated from. Someplace in Europe.

There are no labels on the bottle, due to the age, adn I do not
believe they would have labelled them that long ago.

There are a few words on the cork, but unfortunately I can not make
them out but a few of the letters due to the type of top the bottle
has which is hard to see through.

So my question, does anyone here have any idea where I could get this
appraised or could learn more about the bottle of wine?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

please reply via email,

Cwdjrx _

There have been bottles of wine sold at auction that were recovered from
ships. With only the information you give, the wine would not be worth
much. However, the more you can identify it, the better. You are most
likely to sell such wine if you have several bottles, and one can be
opened and tasted before an auction. Some wine pro at an upscale wine
shop or an auction house might be able to look at the bottle and what
letters you can see and tell you something about what the wine might be
and where it came from. Also if the ship can be traced from insurance
claims, cargo records, or the like, this might help identify the wine.
If the bottle has leaked, it likely is worth nothing, as few would want
salt water in their wine. If the wine was recovered from very cold, deep
water, this also would help keep the wine in good condition.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Recipes Wanted [email protected] General Cooking 4 13-07-2006 06:39 PM
I just wanted to thank you all. Kael Barbecue 0 05-06-2005 10:58 PM
Help Wanted Cape Bretoner Winemaking 1 22-12-2003 02:07 AM
MLF wanted, but too much SO2 Brad B. Winemaking 5 07-12-2003 03:40 AM
Help Wanted Cape Bretoner Winemaking 0 06-10-2003 10:02 PM