Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: thanksgiving- Havens, Weinbach, Mont-Olivet, Gundlach-Bundschu

Betsy's sister was hosting Thanksgiving. They're pesce-vegetarians,
but not fanatics, so had no problem having us do turkey for everyone
else. Betsy made a 20 lb bird (draping the breast with salt pork),
plus a breast, with gravy. She also made cranberry relish, spinach
salad, a giblet and fruit dressing/stuffing and a mushroom one. My
sole contribution was oyster dressing. We got everything over, and sat
down with 16 for dinner (Cal had made salmon, sweet potatoes,
cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and potatoes). Cal, Kath, Bets, and I
all had both our parents and our in-laws there, yet surprisingly few
buttons were pushed. Not a big drinking crowd, but we tried:

2006 Gundlach Bundschu Zinfandel
Not sure how long this had been opened. Nice berry fruit, some spice,
ok length. Maybe lacking a bit in midpalate. Pretty nice Zin. B

2006 Clos du Mont-Olivet Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Warm red fruit, garrigue/herb, a touch of cedar. Some tannins, and
running a little hot. I like better on its on than with food. With
time, it's very nice on its on. B+/B

2006 Weinbach "Cuvee Theo" Gewurztraminer (Alsace)
Just off-dry, full of ginger and spice, very nice length. Best food
match. B+/B

2006 Havens "Bourriquot" (Napa)
Tight as a drum on opening, not showing much at all. Some black fruit,
but more tannin than any flavor. But after a while with air it begins
to show quite nicely. Blackberry and cassis fruit, a little anise,
cocoa. B-/C+ for pop and pour, I'll say B+ for potential.

Not stunning day of wines, but nice Thanksgiving, I hope all who
celebrated has as good a time as we did.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 27, 6:27*am, DaleW > wrote:

> 2006 *Gundlach Bundschu Zinfandel
> Not sure how long this had been opened. Nice berry fruit, some spice,
> ok length. Maybe lacking a bit in midpalate. Pretty nice Zin. B
>
> 2006 Clos du Mont-Olivet Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> Warm red fruit, garrigue/herb, a touch of cedar. Some tannins, and
> running a little hot. I like better on its on than with food. With
> time, it's very nice on its on. B+/B
>
> 2006 Weinbach "Cuvee Theo" Gewurztraminer (Alsace)
> Just off-dry, full of ginger and spice, very nice length. Best food
> match. B+/B
>
> 2006 Havens "Bourriquot" (Napa)
> Tight as a drum on opening, not showing much at all. Some black fruit,
> but more tannin than any flavor. But after a while with air it begins
> to show quite nicely. Blackberry and cassis fruit, a little anise,
> cocoa. B-/C+ for pop and pour, I'll say B+ for potential.
>
> Not stunning day of wines, but nice Thanksgiving, I hope all who
> celebrated has as good a time as we did.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

Dale:

Nice selections! None of them pretentious, but all undoubtedly
contributed to the ambiance. Thanks for sharing!

--Bob