Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire, MSR, Margaux, and Bourgognes

A pretty nice assortment over several days

2008 Selbach Oster "Anrecht" Zeltinger Himmelreich Spatlese
Over three nights. First night, some spritz, clean acids, good fruit,
I liked. But I liked even more on night two, the fruit (peaches,
yellow plums, lime) resting on a real backbone of acidity, good
minerality on finish. Nervy and tangy. Still tasty on night 3, if not
compelling. Initially B+/B, but A- on night 2.

2007 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Served with halibut with a white wine, onion, and anchovy sauce, this
surprised me by being an absolutely atrocious match. Something with
the sauce clashed with the Chardonnay, making it bitter and acrid.
Can't quite figure out the clash, but tasted by itself (or with fish
minus the sauce), as always a classy fresh basic Bourgogne. Clean pear
fruit, solid acids, mineral. B+ (C- tasted with the onion sauce)

2005 Marquis d'Alesme Becker (Margaux)
With lamb loin chops and salad, some firm tannins, cassis and black
cherry, a bit of vanilla and cedar. Modest length. If you're looking
at this as a 3rd growth from a great vintage, don't think you'll be
impressed. But as a $16 Margaux, pretty good. B

2008 Drouhin "Laforet" Bourgogne Blanc
OK, I admit, I didn't look closely enough, and used a foil cutter to
remove top of the screwcap. Oops. Fresh, apple fruit with a little
floral edge, clean. This was mostly used as a cooking wine, but pretty
decent QPR. B-

2007 Francois Cotat "Les Culs de Beaujeu" Sancerre
OK, sometimes I lack patience. I picked these up Thursday, and by
Friday I had to have some. As I was preparing a pasta with a shrimp
and leek sauce, along with brocollini with currants, I got a head
start on the dinner wine. Clean citrus (grapefruit and lime), a minty
herby note, but dominated by minerals. Great acids, excellent length,
exactly what I look for in Loire SB. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**