Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '90 Faiveley Vougeot

Tonight's dinner, a light affair of Caprese salad, bread and some
sauteed veggies, was accompanied with a wine from the cellar to help
salve Jean's state of mind after a trying day at work. So I opened:

1990 Faiveley Clos de Vougeot
nose: pencil lead, dark raspberry fruit, baking spices
palate: medium body, good acidity, simple fruit

I chose this wine in part to treat Jean to a good Pinot Noir (her
favorite grape) but also because I had doubts that this would be a
transcendent Grand Cru. In the event, I felt vindicated in my choice.
The fruit might seem a bit "roasted" to some but it still had freshness
to it, but tasting this wine blind I would probably have guessed a 1er
Cru from the Cote de Nuits. Very enjoyable, but far from profound.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '90 Faiveley Vougeot

On Sep 29, 11:51*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight's dinner, a light affair of Caprese salad, bread and some
> sauteed veggies, was accompanied with a wine from the cellar to help
> salve Jean's state of mind after a trying day at work. *So I opened:
>
> 1990 Faiveley Clos de Vougeot
> nose: pencil lead, dark raspberry fruit, baking spices
> palate: medium body, good acidity, simple fruit
>
> I chose this wine in part to treat Jean to a good Pinot Noir (her
> favorite grape) but also because I had doubts that this would be a
> transcendent Grand Cru. *In the event, I felt vindicated in my choice.
> The fruit might seem a bit "roasted" to some but it still had freshness
> to it, but tasting this wine blind I would probably have guessed a 1er
> Cru from the Cote de Nuits. * Very enjoyable, but far from profound.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks for notes. I've liked some older Faiveleys (1981 Charmes), but
they're rarely top of the line in my limited experience. Throw in the
variability of Clos Vougeot, and your instincts were right.

TN: 10 2000 Clos de Vougeot, 1 '92, 1 Vougeot 1er DaleW Wine 9 07-02-2008 06:22 AM
TN: '98 Drouhin Vougeot Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 7 30-10-2007 10:51 PM
TN: savory Savary, fine Faiveley Dale Williams Wine 12 28-02-2005 01:26 AM
Vougeot Reka Wine 87 22-02-2005 03:28 PM
TN: weekend wines (Faiveley, Drouhin, more) Dale Williams Wine 0 25-04-2004 09:53 PM