Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Warre's Vintage Port 1970

The Warre's Vintage Port 1970 Has been properly stored in the same
place since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issus,
and to my surprise I was able to pull the cork in one piece.

This is a top quality port at the peak of maturity and likely will
last well for several more years. The color is still deep, but now
showing some age around the rim. It is a rather sweet wine that is
very well balanced, is quite rich, and has plenty of complex fruit and
mixed spice character. There are no doubt better ports, but I can find
nothing to complain about with this one.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
> The Warre's Vintage Port 1970 Has been properly stored in the same
> place since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issus,
> and to my surprise I was able to pull the cork in one piece.
>
> This is a top quality port at the peak of maturity and likely will
> last well for several more years. The color is still deep, but now
> showing some age around the rim. It is a rather sweet wine that is
> very well balanced, is quite rich, and has plenty of complex fruit and
> mixed spice character. There are no doubt better ports, but I can find
> nothing to complain about with this one.

Hey, it's good to see you posting again! -- Hope that you're feeling
better --

Mike p

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 16, 10:01*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> The Warre's Vintage Port 1970 Has been properly stored in the same
> place since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issus,
> and to my surprise I was able to pull the cork in one piece.
>
> This is a top quality port at the peak of maturity and likely will
> last well for several more years. The color is still deep, but now
> showing some age around the rim. It is a rather sweet wine that is
> very well balanced, is quite rich, and has plenty of complex fruit and
> mixed spice character. There are no doubt better ports, but I can find
> nothing to complain about with this one.

Glad to see you tasting again!

Pops recently had a bunch of Warres at great prices. I almost bought
the '70 ($60) and the '83 ($36), but passed (I did buy the '63). Maybe
I should reconsider on the 70!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 3:35*pm, DaleW > wrote:

> Glad to see you tasting again!
>
> Pops recently had a bunch of Warres at great prices. I almost bought
> the '70 ($60) and the '83 ($36), but passed (I did buy the '63). Maybe
> I should reconsider on the 70!

Warres has not had as high a reputation as some other ports, but about
10 years ago some critics rated the 1970 as one of the better wines of
the vintage. As I mentioned, the bottle I tasted had been properly
stored in one place since release. As the wine was fully mature and
beginning to show some age around the rim, a bottle not so well stored
could be a bit long-in-tooth by now. I remember the case of a person
who bought a bottle of 1961 Ch. Latour a decade or so ago that turned
out t be far past the peak. I am very unlikely to buy a wine this old
from a store unless they can provide evidence of proper storage since
release.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 18, 9:12*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Sep 18, 3:35*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > Glad to see you tasting again!

> > Pops recently had a bunch of Warres at great prices. I almost bought
> > the '70 ($60) and the '83 ($36), but passed (I did buy the '63). Maybe
> > I should reconsider on the 70!

> Warres has not had as high a reputation as some other ports, but about
> 10 years ago some critics rated the 1970 as one of the better wines of
> the vintage. As I mentioned, the bottle I tasted had been properly
> stored in one place since release. As the wine was fully mature and
> beginning to show some age around the rim, a bottle not so well stored
> could be a bit long-in-tooth by now. I remember the case of a person
> who bought a bottle of 1961 Ch. Latour a decade or so ago that turned
> out t be far past the peak. I am very unlikely to buy a wine this old
> from a store unless they can provide evidence of proper storage since
> release.

These are from the importer (Hass/Vineyard Brands), recent bottles
from the winery (new labels on the '63). In same sale I got things
like the 06 Gouges blanc 1er, 06 Weinbachs, etc. One of my wine groups
was recently in discussion about port - does it make sense to cellar?
As the port houses tend to release fair amounts of library stock 10-40
years after release (and people drink port young less than any other
type of wine), prices are never especially high, even for the top
wines of the greatest vintages (ok, maybe Nacional).

Too bad about the 61 Latour. IMHO, things like 59/61/82 1st growth
Bdx, top Burgs from great vintages, etc are among riskiest buys if you
don't know provenance, as they often have been traded a lot. Wines
from bonded warehouses in London often demand a premium, both from
clear records and because the vast majority of wines shipped to US
wouldn't have been in reefers (though spring and fall shipping make
things safer). Of course, with the most expensive wines, you also get
into the issue of fakes (Koch just sued Rudy K, after suing Acker and
ChicagoWine previously)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
On Sep 18, 3:35 pm, DaleW > wrote:

> Glad to see you tasting again!
>
> Pops recently had a bunch of Warres at great prices. I almost bought
> the '70 ($60) and the '83 ($36), but passed (I did buy the '63). Maybe
> I should reconsider on the 70!

Warres has not had as high a reputation as some other ports, but about
10 years ago some critics rated the 1970 as one of the better wines of
the vintage. As I mentioned, the bottle I tasted had been properly
stored in one place since release. As the wine was fully mature and
beginning to show some age around the rim, a bottle not so well stored
could be a bit long-in-tooth by now. I remember the case of a person
who bought a bottle of 1961 Ch. Latour a decade or so ago that turned
out t be far past the peak. I am very unlikely to buy a wine this old
from a store unless they can provide evidence of proper storage since
release.

We've recently had 1970 Warre and it was excellent. The pistachios were on
sale this week for $2.99/lb. The Stilton has become quite expensive. That
comes to mind everytime the subject of port does in our home.

Ed

1970 Warre's Port Bill[_27_] Wine 2 10-01-2011 07:26 PM
Vintage Port Brito Wine 3 10-03-2009 08:01 PM
leakage from new vintage port Thomas Curmudgeon Wine 1 14-06-2004 12:02 PM
1970 and 1975 Port Bill Spohn Wine 0 29-12-2003 05:42 PM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM