Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: rainy night with RhnRanger, Burgs, and a NZSB

Friday we had some friends coming for dinner, at 5 we got a call that
Dana was sick. Jim was still willing, and we recruited Nancy for empty
seat. Betsy made chicken schnitzel (served on a herb salad with a
lemon/anchovy sauce), while I did the stirring on her mushroom
risotto. She also did some berry compotes in pastry for 3 (and made
pastries filled with mimolette and comte for me!).

The cooking wine was the 2007 Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Gooseberry, grapefruit, a little pepper edge. I thought a bit short,
and could have used a little more acidic zip. B-/C+

The wine I chose for the schnitzel was the 2007 Drouhin St Veran. I've
posted plenty of notes on this, a great value in clean straightforward
Macon. Good Chardonnay fruit, crisp acids, earthy/mineral notes, good
length. B+

For the mushroom risotto, the 2006 Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne.
Black raspberry fruit, a light herbal edge, some tannins, bright
acids. Good presence and length for a Bourgogne AC, nice midweight
Pinot. Drinking well but no hurry. B+

Jim is a fan of bigger reds, especially Rhone, so I also opened the
2005 (I think) Garretson "The Graosta" Mourvedre (Paso Robles), a
recent gift from my SOBER friend Tim. This isn't the hulking monster
I expected, it's quite ripe, but the tannins are smooth and it's more
midweight than heavyweight. Dark fruits, tar, a hint of rubber. Gets
redder fruits with time. Probably could use a little more time, but I
enjoy. B for now.

Nice way to spend a rainy night, with a menu that was a transition
from summer to fall.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 12, 3:04*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Friday we had some friends coming for dinner, at 5 we got a call that
> Dana was sick. Jim was still willing, and we recruited Nancy for empty
> seat. Betsy made chicken schnitzel (served on a herb salad with a
> lemon/anchovy sauce), while I did the stirring on her mushroom
> risotto. She also did some berry compotes in pastry for 3 (and made
> pastries filled with mimolette and comte for me!).
>
> The cooking wine was the 2007 Goose Bay Sauvignon Blanc
> Gooseberry, grapefruit, a little pepper edge. I thought a bit short,
> and could have used a little more acidic zip. B-/C+
>
> The wine I chose for the schnitzel was the 2007 Drouhin St Veran. I've
> posted plenty of notes on this, a great value in clean straightforward
> Macon. Good Chardonnay fruit, crisp acids, earthy/mineral notes, good
> length. B+
>
> For the mushroom risotto, the 2006 Marechal "Cuvee Gravel" Bourgogne.
> Black raspberry fruit, a light herbal edge, some tannins, bright
> acids. Good presence and length for a Bourgogne AC, nice midweight
> Pinot. Drinking well but no hurry. B+
>
> Jim is a fan of bigger reds, especially Rhone, so I also opened the
> 2005 (I think) Garretson "The Graosta" Mourvedre (Paso Robles), a
> recent gift from my SOBER friend Tim. *This isn't the hulking monster
> I expected, it's quite ripe, but the tannins are smooth and it's more
> midweight than heavyweight. Dark fruits, tar, a hint of rubber. Gets
> redder fruits with time. Probably could use a little more time, but I
> enjoy. *B for now.
>
> Nice way to spend a rainy night, with a menu that was a transition
> from summer to fall.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent*
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't*
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no*
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.**

it was pointed out to me by a Kiwi elsewhere that the Goose Bay is
actually a kosher wine (I looked, there is a meshuval statement on
back label). It's not something I'd look for, but if someone was
looking for wine for the high holidays it's not bad for $14-16 (it was
a leftover from a party last weekend)