Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Reds at Jacques and Jill's house

OK, now to Sat evening at Jacques and Jill's home. We headed up from
pool, settled in for steak and seasonal bounty (corn as well as
tomatoes with basil and mozzarella). Everything delicious, and a load
of nice red wines:

1970 Calon Segur
Pretty good showing, classic mature claret, plummy fruit with tobacco
and cedar, good balance. B+/A-

1982 Gruaud Larose
Two different people offered bottles of this. I liked both, but one
was clearly better than the other, especially on the palate where it
seem lusher and more full bodied. Both had that classic Cordier funk
of earth and a little cowpoop, I'd say A/A- and B+

1982 Branaire-Ducru
This wine can range from ok to great, and this bottle fell in the good
range. Sweet '82 cassis fruit, leather, spice. B/B+

1997 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
Modern, but drinking nicely, the vanilla is integrating wth the red
fruit, there's spice and a bit of tar. B+/A-

1999 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
I liked this less, it seemed a bit overpolished and the oak stuck out
more. Still, a solid modern Barolo. B

2004 Dugat-Py Charmes-Chambertin
Big, oaky, tannic, some greenie meanies. Others liked this much more
than I did. C+

1973 Mastroberardino Taurasi
John says he's had some great bottles from same case, this was good
but not great. Some VA on the nose, red cherries with some prunes,
still some tannins. B

2007 Radio-Coteau "La Neblina" Pinot Noir (Sonoma)
I'm just not the target audience for this kind of wine. Certainly well
made, but far too ripe for my tastes. Blackberries and black cherries,
some cocoa, others like more. C+/B-

1995 Giacosa "Santa Stefano" Barbaresco
Not much time for air, but shows well though one can see how time
would help. Solid red cherry and berry fruit, very floral with violet
aromas, silky tannins, good length.
Someone: "What's the difference between the white and red labels?"
Mark "About $100!"
Very nice wine. A-

There was also a 1998 Coutet, I took no notes, but think I liked but
didn't love.

Thanks to Jacques and Jill for great food and incredible hospitality,
Mark for the ride home, and everyone for good company and a nice
assortment of wines. Great day/night.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Great notes on both red and whites, Dale. What an event! Unfortunate
that all that I could think about when reading the title of your posts
was "... go up a hill" ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 23, 9:23*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Great notes on both red and whites, Dale. *What an event! *Unfortunate
> that all that I could think about when reading the title of your posts
> was "... go up a hill" ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

We all laugh re that one. Actually there is quite a hill between house
and pool (probably 60-75 feet elevation change). Makes one regret
offering to carry the cooler of white Burgundy.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Great notes on both red and whites, Dale. What an event! Unfortunate
> that all that I could think about when reading the title of your posts
> was "... go up a hill" ;-)

Shouldn't that be "Jacques and Gilles go up zee heels?"

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 23, 11:10�am, DaleW > wrote:
> OK, now to Sat evening at Jacques and Jill's home. We headed up from
> pool, settled in for steak and seasonal bounty (corn as well as
> tomatoes with basil and mozzarella). Everything delicious, and a load
> of nice red wines:
>
> 1970 Calon Segur
> Pretty good showing, classic mature claret, plummy fruit with tobacco
> and cedar, good balance. B+/A-
>
> 1982 Gruaud Larose
> Two different people offered bottles of this. I liked both, but one
> was clearly better than the other, especially on the palate where it
> seem lusher and more full bodied. Both had that classic Cordier funk
> of earth and a little cowpoop, I'd say A/A- and B+
>
> 1982 Branaire-Ducru
> This wine can range from ok to great, and this bottle fell in the good
> range. Sweet '82 cassis fruit, leather, spice. B/B+
>
> 1997 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
> Modern, but drinking nicely, the vanilla is integrating wth the red
> fruit, there's spice and a bit of tar. B+/A-
>
> 1999 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
> I liked this less, it seemed a bit overpolished and the oak stuck out
> more. Still, a solid modern Barolo. B
>
> 2004 Dugat-Py Charmes-Chambertin
> Big, oaky, tannic, some greenie meanies. Others liked this much more
> than I did. C+
>
> 1973 Mastroberardino Taurasi
> John says he's had some great bottles from same case, this was good
> but not great. Some VA on the nose, red cherries with some prunes,
> still some tannins. B
>
> 2007 Radio-Coteau "La Neblina" Pinot Noir (Sonoma)
> I'm just not the target audience for this kind of wine. Certainly well
> made, but far too ripe for my tastes. Blackberries and black cherries,
> some cocoa, others like more. C+/B-
>
> 1995 Giacosa "Santa Stefano" Barbaresco
> Not much time for air, but shows well though one can see how time
> would help. Solid red cherry and berry fruit, very floral with violet
> aromas, silky tannins, good length.
> Someone: "What's the difference between the white and red labels?"
> Mark "About $100!"
> Very nice wine. A-
>
> There was also a 1998 Coutet, I took no notes, but think I liked but
> didn't love.
>
> Thanks to Jacques and Jill for great food and incredible hospitality,
> Mark for the ride home, and everyone for good company and a nice
> assortment of wines. Great day/night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dale-I must agree on the Radio Coteau. It's just too thick sweet and
concentrated for my tastes. I've had a few bottles of the '82 Gruaud
Larose recently and after extended time in the decanter most of the
funk and barnyard blew off....I liked it. I'm a bit surprised by the
Dugay-Py as they are usually a candidate for ripest wines in
Burgundy. I haven't tasted the '04's and only have a few '04 Dugat-
Py's in my cellar. I've been lucky with most of the '04's I have
mainly Mortet, Anne Gros and Perrot Minot with a number of odds and
ends bought on close out.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 24, 10:04*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> [...]

> > assortment of wines. Great day/night.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> Dale-I must agree on the Radio Coteau. *It's just too thick sweet and
> concentrated for my tastes. *I've had a few bottles of the '82 Gruaud
> Larose recently and after extended time in the decanter most of the
> funk and barnyard blew off....I liked it. *I'm a bit surprised by the
> Dugay-Py as they are usually a candidate for ripest wines in
> Burgundy. *I haven't tasted the '04's and only have a few '04 Dugat-
> Py's in my cellar. *I've been lucky with most of the '04's I have
> mainly Mortet, Anne Gros and Perrot Minot with a number of odds and

The green in the Dugat-Py weren't unripe, but the "greenie Meanies"
that have been attributed to ladybugs and other causes. I'm not
usually especially sensitive to them, but have gotten from wines that
were clearly physiologically ripe.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 23, 11:10*am, DaleW > wrote:
> OK, now to Sat evening at Jacques and Jill's home. We headed up from
> pool, settled in for steak and seasonal bounty (corn as well as
> tomatoes with basil and mozzarella). Everything delicious, and a load
> of nice red wines:
>
> 1970 Calon Segur
> Pretty good showing, classic mature claret, plummy fruit with tobacco
> and cedar, good balance. B+/A-
>
> 1982 Gruaud Larose
> Two different people offered bottles of this. I liked both, but one
> was clearly better than the other, especially on the palate where it
> seem lusher and more full bodied. Both had that classic Cordier funk
> of earth and a little cowpoop, I'd say A/A- and B+
>
> 1982 Branaire-Ducru
> This wine can range from ok to great, and this bottle fell in the good
> range. Sweet '82 cassis fruit, leather, spice. B/B+
>
> 1997 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
> Modern, but drinking nicely, the vanilla is integrating wth the red
> fruit, there's spice and a bit of tar. B+/A-
>
> 1999 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
> I liked this less, it seemed a bit overpolished and the oak stuck out
> more. Still, a solid modern Barolo. B
>
> 2004 Dugat-Py Charmes-Chambertin
> Big, oaky, tannic, some greenie meanies. Others liked this much more
> than I did. C+
>
> 1973 Mastroberardino Taurasi
> John says he's had some great bottles from same case, this was good
> but not great. Some VA on the nose, red cherries with some prunes,
> still some tannins. B
>
> 2007 Radio-Coteau "La Neblina" Pinot Noir (Sonoma)
> I'm just not the target audience for this kind of wine. Certainly well
> made, but far too ripe for my tastes. Blackberries and black cherries,
> some cocoa, others like more. C+/B-
>
> 1995 Giacosa "Santa Stefano" Barbaresco
> Not much time for air, but shows well though one can see how time
> would help. Solid red cherry and berry fruit, very floral with violet
> aromas, silky tannins, good length.
> Someone: "What's the difference between the white and red labels?"
> Mark "About $100!"
> Very nice wine. A-
>
> There was also a 1998 Coutet, I took no notes, but think I liked but
> didn't love.
>
> Thanks to Jacques and Jill for great food and incredible hospitality,
> Mark for the ride home, and everyone for good company and a nice
> assortment of wines. Great day/night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

correction to the 73, it was the Riserva