Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Roses, Burgs, Ligurian wine and more

Steamy here, but it's better by the river with a breeze. Wed night I
met some friends for a bluegrass concert in the park (the band were
former locals who we all knew). I had made cole slaw and a Caprese
salad, plus carried cheese and cured meats. Also tried Donna's grilled
veggies, and we sampled each other's wines:

2007 Bruna* "Le Russeghine"*Pigato*(Riviera Ligure di Ponente)
This was one of mine, and I'm not sure it wasn't lightly corked. I
thought I got some cardboard, but it was fleeting. Fairly big, some
mineral, not a lot of fruit. Good acidity, modest finish. It was
glugged by all, I had a second small pour and again for one sec
thought I got corkiness. If this is the correct wine I don't like near
as much as the 06. Might get one more to see if it was wine or TCA (or
of course it could just be an off night for me). If this is the wine,
B-/C+

2008 Baudry Chinon Rose
Pale and pretty (really pale, almost looks like a white). Strawberries
and raspberry fruit, minerally, I really like but a bit austere for
some. B+/B

*2006 Cousino-Macul*"Dona Isadora"*Riesling*
I had thought this (or a previous vintage) was decent for the low
price tag. This bottle seemed a little flabby and a little tired,
peachy fruit overpowered by some diesel fumes (I usually like a little
petrol, but this was a bit much). To be fair, it wasn't cold enough,
and knowing person who brought it might have been open a few days. But
for what I tasted, C+

2008 Lou Devet "It's Summer" Cotes du Rhone rose
And you think the Copain seasonal offerings are explicit? The
excellent store where I bought this lists it as "C'est l'Eté" but it's
in English on label. Actually, wine isn't bad. Slightly unripe
strawberrry, a little herb, a little mineral. One could do much worse
for under $10. B

So I read a post re fried chicken and white Burgundy. That intriqued
me (personal choices were rose, sparkling, and Gv in that order). So
tonight a couple pieces chicken, an impromptu rice noodle cabbage
stirfry, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Macherelles" Chassagne-
Montrachet 1er. Woodier, less deep, and less interesting that the
Embrazees from same producer. Decent acidity, good white fruit, some
vanillin oak, good but not intriguing like its brother. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Steamy here, but it's better by the river with a breeze. Wed night I
> met some friends for a bluegrass concert in the park (the band were
> former locals who we all knew). I had made cole slaw and a Caprese
> salad, plus carried cheese and cured meats. Also tried Donna's grilled
> veggies, and we sampled each other's wines:
>
> 2007 Bruna* "Le Russeghine"*Pigato*(Riviera Ligure di Ponente)
> This was one of mine, and I'm not sure it wasn't lightly corked. I
> thought I got some cardboard, but it was fleeting. Fairly big, some
> mineral, not a lot of fruit. Good acidity, modest finish. It was
> glugged by all, I had a second small pour and again for one sec
> thought I got corkiness. If this is the correct wine I don't like near
> as much as the 06. Might get one more to see if it was wine or TCA (or
> of course it could just be an off night for me). If this is the wine,
> B-/C+
>
> 2008 Baudry Chinon Rose
> Pale and pretty (really pale, almost looks like a white). Strawberries
> and raspberry fruit, minerally, I really like but a bit austere for
> some. B+/B
>
> *2006 Cousino-Macul*"Dona Isadora"*Riesling*
> I had thought this (or a previous vintage) was decent for the low
> price tag. This bottle seemed a little flabby and a little tired,
> peachy fruit overpowered by some diesel fumes (I usually like a little
> petrol, but this was a bit much). To be fair, it wasn't cold enough,
> and knowing person who brought it might have been open a few days. But
> for what I tasted, C+
>
> 2008 Lou Devet "It's Summer" Cotes du Rhone rose
> And you think the Copain seasonal offerings are explicit? The
> excellent store where I bought this lists it as "C'est l'Eté" but it's
> in English on label. Actually, wine isn't bad. Slightly unripe
> strawberrry, a little herb, a little mineral. One could do much worse
> for under $10. B
>
> So I read a post re fried chicken and white Burgundy. That intriqued
> me (personal choices were rose, sparkling, and Gv in that order). So
> tonight a couple pieces chicken, an impromptu rice noodle cabbage
> stirfry, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Macherelles" Chassagne-
> Montrachet 1er. Woodier, less deep, and less interesting that the
> Embrazees from same producer. Decent acidity, good white fruit, some
> vanillin oak, good but not intriguing like its brother. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

We are having a white Bourgone tonight with fried chicken at a friend's
house. Will see how that comes out.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 21, 9:52�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Steamy here, but it's better by the river with a breeze. Wed night I
> > met some friends for a bluegrass concert in the park (the band were
> > former locals who we all knew). I had made cole slaw and a Caprese
> > salad, plus carried cheese and cured meats. Also tried Donna's grilled
> > veggies, and we sampled each other's wines:

> > 2007 Bruna� "Le Russeghine"�Pigato�(Riviera Ligure di Ponente)
> > This was one of �mine, and I'm not sure it wasn't lightly corked. I
> > thought I got some cardboard, but it was fleeting. Fairly big, some
> > mineral, not a lot of fruit. Good acidity, modest finish. It was
> > glugged by all, I had a second small pour and again for one sec
> > thought I got corkiness. If this is the correct wine I don't like near
> > as much as the 06. Might get one more to see if it was wine or TCA (or
> > of course it could just be an off night for me). If this is the wine,
> > B-/C+

> > 2008 Baudry Chinon Rose
> > Pale and pretty (really pale, almost looks like a white). Strawberries
> > and raspberry fruit, minerally, I really like but a bit austere for
> > some. B+/B

> > �2006 Cousino-Macul�"Dona Isadora"�Riesling�
> > I had thought this (or a previous vintage) was decent for the low
> > price tag. This bottle seemed a little flabby and a little tired,
> > peachy fruit overpowered by some diesel fumes (I usually like a little
> > petrol, but this was a bit much). To be fair, it wasn't cold enough,
> > and knowing person who brought it might have been open a few days. But
> > for what I tasted, C+

> > 2008 Lou Devet "It's Summer" Cotes du Rhone rose
> > And you think the Copain seasonal offerings are explicit? The
> > excellent store where I bought this lists it as "C'est l'Et� but it's
> > in English on label. Actually, wine isn't bad. Slightly unripe
> > strawberrry, �a little herb, a little mineral. One could do much worse
> > for under $10. B

> > So I �read a post re fried chicken and white Burgundy. That intriqued
> > me (personal choices were rose, sparkling, and Gv in that order). So
> > tonight a couple pieces chicken, an impromptu rice noodle cabbage
> > stirfry, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Macherelles" Chassagne-
> > Montrachet 1er. Woodier, less deep, and less interesting that the
> > Embrazees from same producer. Decent acidity, good white fruit, some
> > vanillin oak, good but not intriguing like its brother. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> We are having a white Bourgone tonight with fried chicken at a friend's
> house. Will see how that comes out.- Hide quoted text -

I serve white burg with fried chicken but I usually decide depending
on the spice mix in the coating. If you think about it paillard of
chicken is really fried chicken (perhaps my favorite version) and
usually I use just a touch of garlic, salt and pepper in my coating
mixture and olive oil/butter mixture to saute in.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> [...]

> > > Embrazees from same producer. Decent acidity, good white fruit, some
> > > vanillin oak, good but not intriguing like its brother. B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> > We are having a white Bourgone tonight with fried chicken at a friend's
> > house. Will see how that comes out.- Hide quoted text -

> I serve white burg with fried chicken but I usually decide depending
> on the spice mix in the coating. If you think about it paillard of
> chicken is really fried chicken (perhaps my favorite version) and
> usually I use just a touch of garlic, salt and pepper in my coating
> mixture and olive oil/butter mixture to saute in.

Ah but this will be country fried chicken from Courtland VA. Spice is
not part of that.