Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines before the deluge (Burg, South of France, Prosecco)

I was not feeling very confident about the parks concert as it poured
at 2 PM, but it cleared and there was a window from 4 to 8, and the
concert was on. Betsy and our visitor Barbara made lemon pasta to go
over salad (and be topped with grilled shrimp or chicken), a
watermelon/feta/mint salad, plus leftover broccoli and cheeses and
sausage. Concert was great (the Al Foster Quartet) and we sampled
several wines:

2007 Paul Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Great baby Puligny, chalky minerality under a deep layer of ripe pear
and citrus. Nice match with the lemony pasta. B+, A for value

2008 JP Brun Rose d'Folie
Fun, easy, strawberries and cherries, light bitter herbal edge, I
enjoy.B

NV Sciarpa Prosecco
Cold and light, refreshing. B-

2008 Domaine de Triennes "Sainte Fleur" Viognier
Musky flowers, peaches, good acidity for the varietal (especially
since I think this is from south), but a tad short. B-

2005 Ch. de Roquefort (Cotes de Provence)*
I liked this at first, red fruit, earth, but the barnyard elements
built up, not past my tolerances but pushing it. B-

Fun night with our out of town friends, local friends, etc. We sat as
it got dark and the band put their stuff away, then got soaked as the
storm came in, but we were happy.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:[]
> sausage. Concert was great (the Al Foster Quartet) and we sampled

[]

Love Al Foster. Did you get Kikoski too?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 14, 5:03*am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:[]
> > sausage. Concert was great (the Al Foster Quartet) and we sampled

> []
>
> Love Al Foster. *Did you get Kikoski too?

I left my program behind, but pretty sure keyboardist was someone new
(young guy). We were sitting with some jazz musician friends (do you
know Ron Vincent, Jay Azzolina, or Nancy Kennedy?) who were old
friends of Foster, and I heard them refer to Kikoski. One sign of
Foster's talent is other pros show up and listen.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 12:00*pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2008 *Domaine de Triennes "Sainte Fleur" Viognier
> > Musky flowers, peaches, good acidity for the varietal (especially
> > since I think this is from south), but a tad short. B-

> This is a JV with no less than Aubert de Villaine himself of DRC fame...
> yet the wine is like you say, a tad short. Why anyone would grow
> viognier here in the Var is beyond me. The acidity is probably "added",
> it is a bad habit here in the South.
>
> > 2005 Ch. de Roquefort (Cotes de Provence)
> > I liked this at first, red fruit, earth, but the barnyard elements
> > built up, not past my tolerances but pushing it. B-

> This is even closer to home, in the hills behind beautiful Cassis (the
> final "s" is silent), with superb vines and great potential. Natural
> wines in the hands of a great winemaker wouldn't have SO many defects.
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

I knew there was a famous wine maker involved with the Triennes, but I
thought it was Jacques Seysses from Dujac.
Other than the brett the Roquefort was pretty nice.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Aug 14, 5:03 am, Emery Davis > wrote:
>> DaleW wrote:[]
>>> sausage. Concert was great (the Al Foster Quartet) and we sampled

>> []
>>
>> Love Al Foster. Did you get Kikoski too?

> I left my program behind, but pretty sure keyboardist was someone new
> (young guy). We were sitting with some jazz musician friends (do you
> know Ron Vincent, Jay Azzolina, or Nancy Kennedy?) who were old
> friends of Foster, and I heard them refer to Kikoski. One sign of
> Foster's talent is other pros show up and listen.

Hi Dale,

Names sound familiar but don't think I know personally.

DK is a wonderful player, was (at least a bit of a wild man).
Don't know if I can think of any single drummer who commands
the respect from the community that Al gets.

cheers,

-E

On topic, nice Anjou Rouge 2005 from Ambinos last night, good
with simple pasta dinner.