Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne

Thursday we grilled porterhouses and squash, and had for dinner along
with a couple of king crab legs, potatos salad, and the 2004 La Fleur
de Bouard (Lalande de Pomerol). Betsy had gotten the crab on a whim,
we had that first with some leftover Cazin Cour-Cheverny (held up
nicely after 2 days). With the steak, the La Fleur De Bouard did well.
Thick/rich blackberry fruit with a lot of vanilla, firm tannins, low
acidity. I don't mind an occasional super-modern Bordeaux, and this
certainly is in that category (actually I do mind if priced high, but
this was $20-25). I don't directly equate ability to sit overnight
with potential longevity, but it can give a bit of information, so
I'll note leftover 40% bottle (corked but not refrigerated) was pruney/
caramelized enough I put in vinegar jar next night. Personally, not
sure much to be gained by aging this. B

More $4/lb lobster, so Betsy bought a few, made a lemony mayonaise,
and assembled lobster rolls. With asparagus and grilled sweet potato
salad, and the 2006 Bernard Morey "Les Embrazees" Chassagne-
Montrachet 1er. Really nice midweight white Burg, fresh Bosc pears
drizzled with lemon juice, framed by clean bright acidity. Good
length, some mineral on finish, there's some noticable vanilla/oak but
within my personal limits. Fresh, bright, nice. I'd really like to age
some of this, to let the oak integrate a bit more, but always a worry
these days. What to do? Anyway, I enjoyed at this young age, will
monitor other reports to see if I need to drink young. Not a producer
I really know (when I ordered I thought it was a Louis-Dressner
import, but turns out it's Vineyard Brands). B+/A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*