DaleW

Default TN: fat Arneis, classy Poyferre, and a Spanish PN

Sunday we went to lunch at the home of our friends Marc & Annabelle.
Lovely meal, with seared duck breast, mashed potatoes/celeriac, and
salad with oranges and mushrooms. Marc served the <b>1998
L=E9oville-Poyferr=E9 (St. Julien)</b>. Nice nose of graphite, dark
berries, and herbs. Some mocha notes after a while. Nice clean cassis
fruit, surprisingly lively acidity, and apparent but ripe tannins.
Classic St. Julien balance. I've reconsidered my opinion of Left Bank
'98s because of a few wines like this and its neighbor Barton-
certainly a vintage to try before buying, but some real overachievers
out there. Needs time, though surprisingly drinkable now. A-

He also served the 1996 Torres Mas Boras Pinot Noir (sorry I didn't
note region of Spain). My first Spanish PN in memory. Cherry fruit and
a bit of earth, light cedary notes. Light to medium bodied. Seems a
little tired, but ok. B

Last was the 2001 Jaboulet "Les Jalets" Crozes-Hermitage. Jaboulet's
second-rank Crozes. Lighter style Syrah, some blackberry fruit with a
touch of leather. Better than my previous try of the 2001, but that's
not surprising - Jaboulet in general, and this wine in particular, seem
to be the poster child for bottle variation- no 2 seem alike. This is
no blockbuster, but not insipid like previous taste. Give this a B/B-

Over a few nights, culminating with some puttanesca & pasta last
night, the 2003 Ceretto Blange Arneis. Sweet pear juice (reminded me of
those canned pears), low-acidity bordering on flabby. While the Giacosa
is my go-to Arneis, the Ceretto is usually pretty good. Chalk one up
for hot vintage over producer. C+/B-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Ed Rasimus

On 7 Mar 2005 10:24:13 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>He also served the 1996 Torres Mas Boras Pinot Noir (sorry I didn't
>note region of Spain). My first Spanish PN in memory. Cherry fruit and
>a bit of earth, light cedary notes. Light to medium bodied. Seems a
>little tired, but ok. B

FYI: http://www.torres.es/eng/asp/nv_fich...producto&Cod=9

"From the coolest region of Penedes".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
DaleW

thanks Ed. I thought of Penedes as being solely cava!

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> thanks Ed. I thought of Penedes as being solely cava!

Dale,
AFAIK, all of Torres's Spanish stable comes from Penedes. The winery
itself is located there (a convenient day trip from Barcelona BTW), and
I had thought all of their wines to be "estate bottled," though the
volume of their production perhaps argues they also have a negociant arm.

Mark Lipton

TN: Modern Bdx satellite and classy Chassagne DaleW Wine 0 08-08-2009 05:39 PM
Roero Arneis DOC WINE66 Wine 0 26-03-2009 04:38 PM
TN: MSR, Minervois, Arneis DaleW Wine 0 18-03-2007 02:41 AM
Our Classy President Stark General Cooking 1 30-10-2004 01:24 PM
drinks with your meal at a "classy" restaurant Underdunk Restaurants 4 16-01-2004 01:46 AM