Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: CA, WA, NZ, and Rioja, mostly cheapies

Saturday was the 4th, but my parents arrived that afternoon and we had
a quiet dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday a little early. Surf and
turf- our favorite lobster/corn/tomato salad, then some porterhouse
along with a grilled sweet potato and scallion salad and squash. Two
American wines for the day:

1998 Montelena Chardonnay (Napa)
Cork was not in great shape, I decanted this, and was a little worried
re the fairly deep golden color. But no oxidation at least for first
hour, just a rather lean and woody Chardonnay. Good acids, some wood
tannin but no vanilla, maybe a bit shy on the pear/apple fruit. But ok
in an austere Chardonnay kind of style. B-/B

2005 Andrew's Vat "Alder Ridge" Syrah
Blackberry jam, cocoa, fruit forward, big rather than deep, not my
preferred style but I think Dad liked it. B-

Tonight we went to Half Moon, a large restaurant on the waterfront.
Packed due to gorgeous weather, we ate inside as wait for outside
tables was long, but we still had nice Palisades/river views. I had
blistered shishito peppers and then skate with tamarind, Betsy had
ribs.

I had a glass of the 2007 Mill Harbor Sauvignon Blanc ( NZ but I don't
know region). Gooseberry and grass, modest acidtity, a bit short.
(Barely) acceptable. C+/B-

Betsy had the 2003 Campo Viejo Crianza Rioja, red berry fruit, light
vanilla, a bit anonymous but a step above the SB. B-

My dad had the L de Lyeth Merlot, which I might have tried a sip
enough, but since (as always) he added several ice cubes, I passed.

Nice evenings, even if no great wines!

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default CA, WA, NZ, and Rioja, mostly cheapies

"DaleW" wrote .........

> I had a glass of the 2007 Mill Harbor Sauvignon Blanc ( NZ but I
> don't know region). Gooseberry and grass, modest acidtity,
> a bit short. (Barely) acceptable. C+/B-

Never heard of this number - web search revealed zilch.

Probably some importers wine brought in and labeled for the US market.

Why do I think thus?

Well, we speakers and writers of r-e-a-l English spell *harbour* correctly -
Americans choose to save ink!

A web search revealed a wine called "New Harbor" - but again, I am none the
wiser, and the above would still apply.

I was impressed (and confused) that you found this wine did have acid
titties though (being a bit of a breast man myself!)

Cheers from a wet July, following the coldest June on record in the
antipodes.

Global warming? - bah humbug!

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Saturday was the 4th, but my parents arrived that afternoon and we had
> a quiet dinner to celebrate my dad's birthday a little early. Surf and
> turf- our favorite lobster/corn/tomato salad, then some porterhouse
> along with a grilled sweet potato and scallion salad and squash. Two
> American wines for the day:
>
> 1998 Montelena Chardonnay (Napa)
> Cork was not in great shape, I decanted this, and was a little worried
> re the fairly deep golden color. But no oxidation at least for first
> hour, just a rather lean and woody Chardonnay. Good acids, some wood
> tannin but no vanilla, maybe a bit shy on the pear/apple fruit. But ok
> in an austere Chardonnay kind of style. B-/B
>
> 2005 Andrew's Vat "Alder Ridge" Syrah
> Blackberry jam, cocoa, fruit forward, big rather than deep, not my
> preferred style but I think Dad liked it. B-
>
> Tonight we went to Half Moon, a large restaurant on the waterfront.
> Packed due to gorgeous weather, we ate inside as wait for outside
> tables was long, but we still had nice Palisades/river views. I had
> blistered shishito peppers and then skate with tamarind, Betsy had
> ribs.
>
> I had a glass of the 2007 Mill Harbor Sauvignon Blanc ( NZ but I don't
> know region). Gooseberry and grass, modest acidtity, a bit short.
> (Barely) acceptable. C+/B-
>
> Betsy had the 2003 Campo Viejo Crianza Rioja, red berry fruit, light
> vanilla, a bit anonymous but a step above the SB. B-
>
> My dad had the L de Lyeth Merlot, which I might have tried a sip
> enough, but since (as always) he added several ice cubes, I passed.
>
> Nice evenings, even if no great wines!
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

You seem to be having some bleak experiences as of late. Nothing over a
B in a while. I had one bottle of 1988 Montelena left last year and my
notes were much better with a bit more vanilla and definite pear notes
though not much apple. Viscosity was very high. Wondering if that was a
bad bottle?

2001 La Rioja Alta "Viña Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
[TN] Two cheapies from Dressner Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 31-03-2009 03:55 PM
WTN: 2 Italian cheapies DaleW Wine 1 12-11-2008 02:39 PM
TN: Pineau & Pinot, plus other cheapies DaleW Wine 0 10-08-2006 09:48 PM
TN: Assorted cheapies Dale Williams Wine 0 14-12-2003 07:24 PM