Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: 2 Italian cheapies

Yesterday I had a speech at St John's U in Queens, Betsy had a chamber
rehearsal in Brooklyn. We contemplated meeting for dinner, but decided
it was too scary trafficwise. So we resolved to share pizza at home. I
got back first, and while waiting for her to give me the 30 minute
warning, opened the 2006 Falesco Vitiano (Umbria). I had not had this
wine in several vintages, but remembered it as a dependable workhorse,
and took a chance at a $7 sale at Zachys (2006 is supposed to be very
good in Tuscany, and Umbria is close). Well, even at $7 not a deal. A
Concord grapiness, soft and rather empty texture, low acids, short. C/C
+

After half a glass of the Falesco I decided I didn't want to linger on
that, so went for another cheapie ($5 on sale), the 2005 Viticcio
Chianti Classico.
Not great, but substantially better than the Falesco. Ripe black
cherries, lower acids for a Chianti but not flabby, a little vanilla.
Not very long or deep, but acceptable pizza wine. B-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2 Italian cheapies

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I had a speech at St John's U in Queens, Betsy had a chamber
> rehearsal in Brooklyn. We contemplated meeting for dinner, but decided
> it was too scary trafficwise. So we resolved to share pizza at home. I
> got back first, and while waiting for her to give me the 30 minute
> warning, opened the 2006 Falesco Vitiano (Umbria). I had not had this
> wine in several vintages, but remembered it as a dependable workhorse,
> and took a chance at a $7 sale at Zachys (2006 is supposed to be very
> good in Tuscany, and Umbria is close). Well, even at $7 not a deal. A
> Concord grapiness, soft and rather empty texture, low acids, short.
> +
>
> After half a glass of the Falesco I decided I didn't want to linger on
> that, so went for another cheapie ($5 on sale), the 2005 Viticcio
> Chianti Classico.
> Not great, but substantially better than the Falesco. Ripe black
> cherries, lower acids for a Chianti but not flabby, a little vanilla.
> Not very long or deep, but acceptable pizza wine. B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

My meager notes on 2005 Falesco Vitiano, Good buy at $8, perhaps buy again,
no cramps. But I'd rate at a C.

My meager notes on 2005 Viticcio Chianti Classico $14.99, I couldn't stand
it; don't buy again.

I also bought a 2006 Viticcio Chianti Classico DOCG at $14.99, haven't
opened yet.

Dee Dee, Virginia

Bought at Gary's, New Jersey, U.S.A.