Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine pairing stumper...

Chris Sprague wrote:
> I'll make this as brief as possible. For dinner tonight, I'm having 6
> people over for their choice of braised chicken or veal cannelloni.
> The cannelloni will be stuffed with ricotta, spinach, thyme, the
> shredded braised meats, and mushrooms (morels in the case of the veal,
> and porcinis for the chicken).
>
> This will be served with a cream sauce made from the strained braising
> liquids, the mushroom stock (from reconsituting the dried mushrooms),
> roux, and heavy cream.
>
> My initial thoughts were Burgundy, or given all the cream which begs
> for acidity, a red Sancerre or NZ PN.
>
> However, I haven't discounted the possibility that some whites would
> work here too.

I think that, while a white wine might work with these dishes, they do
fairly cry out for a red of the sort you're thinking of. A powerful Cru
Beaujolais might be good, too, especially an '05.

Mark Lipton

Wine pairing stumper... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 1 24-04-2009 07:57 PM
Wine pairing stumper... DaleW Wine 0 24-04-2009 05:38 PM
Wine pairing stumper... Michael Pronay Wine 0 24-04-2009 04:38 PM
Wine pairing... MaxMustermann Wine 5 29-11-2006 01:14 PM
Food and Wine Pairing Terry Wine 1 26-01-2004 08:45 PM