Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bandol and Chinon (latter at the Modern)

Tuesday I was taking some college kids to the city,so limited myself
to a half a glass with dinner. Betsy had rehearsals all day and made a
slowcooker version of cassoulet. Went looking for a half bottle,
closest in spirit was the 2004 "Le Galantin"*Bandol. Slightly
reductive, a hint of rubber. Plum and prune fruit, a touch of manure.
Some tannins, but not as much as some Bandols. Doesn't really grab me,
but ok. Retasted at 1 AM and again following evening. The rubber goes
away. Solid but not exciting, there's still close half of the 375
left. B-
*
Wednesday a generous friend took myself, Betsy, and another friend to
dinner at The Modern (in MOMA). A fine meal- beautifully paced,
attentive service, inventive and intriguing food well executed. We
were by the window, with great view of the snow covered sculpture
garden (with the Henry Moores, Rodins, Matisses, Calders, etc!). With
had a four course prix fixe -*I had chicken/foie gras veloute, dorade,
and stuffed rabbit loin; Betsy courses of mackerel , sable with
edamame and vegetables, and a riff on pot au feu. Everything was tasty
and well done, and supplemented by some great amuse bouche/lagniappes
(my fave was a cucumber panna cotta with salmon "soup", Betsy was a
dessert one with gelato and candied cilantro).

I was put in my least favorite position, ordering the wine while
someone else pays. Left to my own devices, I would have gone for some
of the interesting whites that were own list. But host prefers red, so
I was looking for some something with good acidity for the varied
tastes ahead. I considered some funkier things like a Slovenian
Refosco or a Zweigelt, but for our Francophilic host I went with the
*2006 Charles Joguet "Cuvée Terroir" Chinon. I think everyone was
rather pleased. A hint of freshly stepped on cow patty, but it is an
accent that fades with air. No real green notes here, fleshy red
fruits backed by good acids. Light tannins, good length. This is a
Chinon which could please passionate Loireheads and skeptics who fear
greenness all at once. Mineral and a tiny hint of herbs on the long
finish. Not the ultimate in complexity, but very satisfying for a
dinner wine. B++

Thanks to Charles for a great evening.
*

*

[TN] Bandol and MC Riesling Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 21-11-2009 03:46 AM
Marseille and Bandol TB Wine 0 04-02-2007 02:16 PM
TN: Bandol & Cahors with pig in Japan DaleW Wine 2 26-05-2005 02:11 AM
TN: Bandol & Cahors with pig in Japan DaleW Wine 0 25-05-2005 07:15 PM
TN: In praise of older CdR and Bandol Mark Lipton Wine 4 11-10-2004 06:16 AM