Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Marilyn Merlot question

I opened a 2002 Marilyn Merlot on Sat., and I could tell just by the
color, it was going to be crap. It hadn't turned, or gone bad, but the
wine was light fruit juice, at best. The flavor appeared to have no
hint of anything merlot, or any real grape. It was stupid.

I've seen Marilyn Merlots sell as collectibles for high prices, and am
wondering if any of them sell for the wine, or do they sell for just
the novelty?

Karen
Posted to alt.food.wine

Karen wrote:
> I opened a 2002 Marilyn Merlot on Sat., and I could tell just by the
> color, it was going to be crap. It hadn't turned, or gone bad, but the
> wine was light fruit juice, at best. The flavor appeared to have no
> hint of anything merlot, or any real grape. It was stupid.
>
> I've seen Marilyn Merlots sell as collectibles for high prices, and am
> wondering if any of them sell for the wine, or do they sell for just
> the novelty?

The latter, I think. I seem to recall that there were two Marilyn
Merlots, too, one from Italy and one from the US. If this is true (and
I'm not sure that it is) it could be that one is more collectible than
the other. Certainly I've seen Marilyn Merlot for sale in grocery
stores over the years.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 2, 10:41*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Karen wrote:
> > I opened a 2002 Marilyn Merlot on Sat., and I could tell just by the
> > color, it was going to be crap. It hadn't turned, or gone bad, but the
> > wine was light fruit juice, at best. The flavor appeared to have no
> > hint of anything merlot, or any real grape. It was stupid.

> > I've seen Marilyn Merlots sell as collectibles for high prices, and am
> > wondering if any of them sell for the wine, or do they sell for just
> > the novelty?

> The latter, I think. *I seem to recall that there were two Marilyn
> Merlots, too, one from Italy and one from the US. *If this is true (and
> I'm not sure that it is) it could be that one is more collectible than
> the other. *Certainly I've seen Marilyn Merlot for sale in grocery
> stores over the years.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Mark, I've only seen the California one. Pretty sure it's generic CA,
not Napa, so the $20-35 price is pretty steep from a wine standpoint.

Karen, by color do you mean it was browning? That sounds more like bad
storage somewhere along the line rather than winemaking (though I've
never heard anything positive re theMM as wine)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 2, 10:38*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Mark, I've only seen the California one. Pretty sure it's generic CA,
> not Napa, so the $20-35 price is pretty steep from a wine standpoint.
>
> Karen, by color do you mean it was browning? That sounds more like bad
> storage somewhere along the line rather than winemaking (though I've
> never heard anything positive re theMM as wine)

No, it wasn't brown at all. It was the color of merlot only watered
down by 50% and the flavor seemed like it was watered down grape
juice. It wasn't bad in grimmacing type bad, it was just weird. There
was no fermentation or depth or anything.

It was more transparent in color but still that range of red.

Karen