Posted to alt.food.wine

Default New On Wines: Merlot Suggestions Question, Please

Hello,

Let me immediately admit that I know absolutely nothing about wines,
unfortunately.

Have a friend that likes to use Merlot wine as a cooking wine.
Cooks lots of dishes with the addition of Merlot's, apparently.

Would like to buy him a present of a "decent" bottle of Merlot for his
cooking.

Would appreciate some recommendation for a Merlot that would really make a
very
good cooking wine; perhaps in the $10 to $15 per bottle range ?

Anything good for $10 ?

Would like to put the additional requirement on that it be available in the
Boston area.

Much thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 27, 2:55�pm, "Robert11" > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me immediately admit that I know absolutely nothing about wines,
> unfortunately.
>
> Have a friend that likes to use Merlot wine as a cooking wine.
> Cooks lots of dishes with the addition of Merlot's, apparently.
>
> Would like to buy him a present of a "decent" bottle of Merlot for his
> cooking.
>
> Would appreciate some recommendation for a Merlot that would really make a
> very
> good cooking wine; perhaps in the $10 to $15 per bottle range ?
>
> Anything good for $10 ?
>
> Would like to put the additional requirement on that it be available in the
> Boston area.
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

Really while the old saw "don't cook with what you wouldn't drink" is
true, that's based more on the idea of not cooking with flawed wine.
Flawed wine (in a technical sense) is far less common these days. If
you think they are truly looking for wine only for cooking, it's
really hard to go wrong.
Well-known Merlots in the under $15 category would include Blackstone,
BV Coastal, Beringers, Columbia Crest.