Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 06 Drouhin Vero Burg

With leftover chicken, broccoli stem pickles, and salad, the 2006
Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne (rouge). Lighter side of pinot, red cherries
and strawberries, some floral notes, bright acidity, light tannins.
Tasty, but not especially deep or complex. A fair deal at $15, though
nothing to get excited about. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 06 Drouhin Vero Burg

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> With leftover chicken, broccoli stem pickles, and salad, the 2006
> Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne (rouge). Lighter side of pinot, red cherries
> and strawberries, some floral notes, bright acidity, light tannins.
> Tasty, but not especially deep or complex. A fair deal at $15, though
> nothing to get excited about. B

I had this new years eve and thought it was pretty good. I realized later
this was my first French pinot. I read later this was a new direction for
Drouhin, assembled from grapes from their properties all over Burgundy
(though it sounded like a marketing driven product).

Could you recommend some 'next steps' in expanding my experience with French
pinot noirs?

TIA,
Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 17, 10:38*am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> > With leftover chicken, broccoli stem pickles, and salad, the 2006
> > Drouhin "Vero" Bourgogne (rouge). *Lighter side of pinot, red cherries
> > and strawberries, some floral notes, bright acidity, light tannins.
> > Tasty, but not especially deep or complex. A fair deal at $15, though
> > nothing to get excited about. B

> I had this new years eve and thought it was pretty good. I realized later
> this was my first French pinot. I read later this was a new direction for
> Drouhin, assembled from grapes from their properties all over Burgundy
> (though it sounded like a marketing driven product).
>
> Could you recommend some 'next steps' in expanding my experience with French
> pinot noirs?
>
> TIA,
> Jon

I think the Vero is indeed drawn from assorted Drouhin properties,
mostly lesser appellations, but some young Chambolle and Volnay fruit,
too.

The problem (ok, one of many problems) with Burg recs is unlike Bdx or
Napa, few wines made in big quantities. So without knowing where you
shop, hard to know what you could find. On same price level as the
Vero, you can probably fine solid Bourgognes from good negociants like
Potel or Dominique Laurent (the latter famous for heavily oaked wines,
but that seems to be the upper wines,. his Bourgogne #1 doesn't
usually show much oak). A bit more buys you Bourgognes from some good
growers- I tend to buy Lafarge, Chevillon, Bachelet, Barthod,
Marechal. If you want to explore individual village wines, you could
try:
Drouhin's Chorey
Bize, Marechal or Pavelot's Savigny
Bart's Fixin
Lafouge's Auxey-Duresses

Of course, tastes differ. I don't like Frederic Magnien much, but
other people love, and well-priced.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message news:fa3de85b-56c1-457a-The
[...]

Many thanks for your recommendations, Dale, which I've saved.
I've been trying to "get into" Burgundies (I generally drink Bordeaux) but
nearly every time I try the recommendations of the wine shops here, I feel
that I've wasted my money and go back to clarets.
As an example, recently, I took a bottle of '02 Savigny les B to a friend's
(Jadot, Les Guettes) and it was disappointing to say the least. No nose to
speak of and quite short. In other words an expensive, stand-up, party wine.
The following evening, I tried the '04 Pavelot Les Peuillets with much the
same experience.
A few days later I tried the '05 Potel PN, just a generic Burgundy, and was
rewarded a very decent wine with raspberry/strawberry and tealeaf on the
nose, red fruits in the mouth and a decent length and it was 2/3 the price
of the SlBs. Other, even cheaper French PNs have also proved to be more
enjoyable.
Graham

TN: cooked white Burg, good white Burg, Barolo DaleW Wine 2 03-07-2011 12:47 PM
2002 Meursault 2007 Drouhin Vero Bi!! Wine 0 10-05-2011 03:56 PM
[TN] '06 Vero and '07 Gobelsburger Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 05-12-2008 11:01 PM
TN: Vero revisited DaleW Wine 0 01-02-2007 07:21 PM
TN : Drouhin Vero blanc DaleW Wine 0 11-11-2005 05:11 PM