Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Meaning Of ?

That's funny. I had long wondered the same thing, and never read any posts
that began with TN, since I thought it was about wine from Tennessee. I had
no interest in wine from Tennessee, in fact I didn't know that they made
wine in TN.

Mike Hagley
"Robert11" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Okay, I'll show my ignorance:
>
> What does "TN" mean in these posts, please ?
>
> Any other acronyms like this I should know ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Same here when I saw WA, I always deleted the email thinking it was a
Washington state wine ;-))
Dee Dee

"Mike Hagley" > wrote in message
> That's funny. I had long wondered the same thing, and never read any
> posts that began with TN, since I thought it was about wine from
> Tennessee. I had no interest in wine from Tennessee, in fact I didn't
> know that they made wine in TN.
>
> Mike Hagley
> "Robert11" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Okay, I'll show my ignorance:
>>
>> What does "TN" mean in these posts, please ?
>>
>> Any other acronyms like this I should know ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> B.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 10, 5:39*am, "Mike Hagley" > wrote:
> That's funny. *I had long wondered the same thing, and never read any posts
> that began with TN, since I thought it was about wine from Tennessee. *I had
> no interest in wine from Tennessee, in fact I didn't know that they made
> wine in TN.

In fact there are now quite a few TN wines. See http://www.tennesseewines.com/
for likely more than you ever wished to know about TN wines. Quite a
few wines were made in TN in the 1800s. Then for a long time after
repeal of prohibition, TN wines were not very common and especially
were not well known out of state. More recently several wineries are
making what some consider fairly decent wine, although I have never
tasted any TN wine. In fact most US states now produce some wine that
is at least fairly drinkable. I have not yet heard of grape wine from
Alaska, but then I have not searched for it. I suppose you could grow
wine grapes in greenhouses there with the addition of extra grow
lights and heat, although the wine would thus be very expensive and
likely mainly a matter of state pride.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 10, 10:58*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

In fact most US states now produce some wine that

> is at least fairly drinkable. *I have not yet heard of grape wine from
> Alaska, but then I have not searched for it. I suppose you could grow
> wine grapes in greenhouses there with the addition of extra grow
> lights and heat, although the wine would thus be very expensive and
> likely mainly a matter of state pride.

I found there are a very few wineries in Alaska. Most make fruit wine
and a bit of grape wine also is made from juice from California and
Canada (it likely is too far to ship ripe grapes). I did not find any
wines claiming to be made from grapes grown in Alaska. I found an
icewine and something I have not been looking for - a sparkling
rhubarb wine!

There is a bit of grape wine made in Hawaii from Hawaiian grown
grapes. The climate of most of Hawaii likely is not well suited to the
more popular wine grapes. However there is much fruit wine made. How
would you like some guava wine? At least one Hawaiian winery will ship
to some US states.

Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote on Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:11:20 -0800 (PST):

> In fact most US states now produce some wine that

>> is at least fairly drinkable. I have not yet heard of grape
>> wine from Alaska, but then I have not searched for it. I
>> suppose you could grow wine grapes in greenhouses there with
>> the addition of extra grow lights and heat, although the wine
>> would thus be very expensive and likely mainly a matter of
>> state pride.

> I found there are a very few wineries in Alaska. Most make
> fruit wine and a bit of grape wine also is made from juice
> from California and Canada (it likely is too far to ship ripe
> grapes). I did not find any wines claiming to be made from
> grapes grown in Alaska. I found an icewine and something I
> have not been looking for - a sparkling rhubarb wine!

I've had pineapple wine in Maui and it's not great but it's drinkable .
The same winery (I'd have to look up the name) also uses real grapes and
the same tasting comments apply.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-02-12 14:28:00 -0800, Mike Tommasi > said:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> I've had pineapple wine in Maui and it's not great but it's drinkable
>> . The same winery (I'd have to look up the name) also uses real grapes
>> and the same tasting comments apply.

> This is one of the rare fruits other than grapes that have lots of
> tartaric acid. On the surface it seems to me that pineapple would be a
> good candidate for winemaking... Maybe it's a matter of finding the
> right terroir, reducing yields, experimenting with harvest time...

I like their pineapple wine - a fine food pairing, I think, with a bone
in ham.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 13, 11:14*am, Ronin wrote:
> On 2009-02-12 14:28:00 -0800, Mike Tommasi > said:
>
> > James Silverton wrote:
> >> I've had pineapple wine in Maui and it's not great but it's drinkable *
> >> . The same winery (I'd have to look up the name) also uses real grapes
> >> and the same tasting comments apply.

> > This is one of the rare fruits other than grapes that have lots of
> > tartaric acid. On the surface it seems to me that pineapple would be a
> > good candidate for winemaking... *Maybe it's a matter of finding the
> > right terroir, reducing yields, experimenting with harvest time...

> I like their pineapple wine - a fine food pairing, I think, with a bone
> in ham. *

You might be thinking of http://www.mauiwine.com/ which offers both
pineapple wine and sparkling pineapple wine, among others. They will
ship to some US states and have wines available in the US, Canada, and
Switzerland at locations listed on the site.

Also see http://www.volcanowinery.com/ . They make some wines from a
grape variety, developed at the University of California, that will
grow well in their climate. They also have some rather exotic fruit
and honey wines. They will ship to some states on the mainland, but
they do not appear to distribute their wine to stores other than in
Hawaii.

Besides some grape wine, Mexico also makes a "wine" called pulque from
a species of agave. Much of this is low grade, cloudy, and is apt to
give one the "tourist trots", although it should be quite possible to
make premium grades. It could be that the agave used has a mucilage-
like substance as do some cactus plants. Although some cactus is good
cooked, often it should be cooked with several changes of water to get
rid of the mucilage-like substance to avoid the "tourist trots".
Perhaps one could make some chili pepper wine by adding chili peppers
to the fermenting pulque. Even a sparkling version might be possible.
This might match some SW US foods. The Russians make a pepper vodka,
so why not a pepper pulque? :-) . If global warming is more severe
than expected, perhaps growing classic wine grapes in the Languedoic
and elsewhere in France will become impossible, and pulque will
replace wine as the national drink of France :-) .
Posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 13:40:51 -0800 (PST):

> On Feb 13, 11:14 am, Ronin wrote:

> >> This is one of the rare fruits other than grapes that have
> >> lots of tartaric acid. On the surface it seems to me that
> >> pineapple would be a good candidate for winemaking...
> >> Maybe it's a matter of finding the right terroir, reducing
> >> yields, experimenting with harvest time...

>> I like their pineapple wine - a fine food pairing, I think,
>> with a bone in ham.

> You might be thinking of http://www.mauiwine.com/ which offers both
> pineapple wine and sparkling pineapple wine, among others.
> They will ship to some US states and have wines available in
> the US, Canada, and Switzerland at locations listed on the
> site.

> Also see http://www.volcanowinery.com/ . They make some wines from a
> grape variety, developed at the University of California, that
> will grow well in their climate. They also have some rather
> exotic fruit and honey wines. They will ship to some states on
> the mainland, but they do not appear to distribute their wine
> to stores other than in Hawaii.

>The Russians make a pepper vodka,
>so why not a pepper pulque? :-)

And why not? But I've had pepper vodka from Russia and like it for
Russian style "down the hatch" drinking if it has been kept in the
freezer. I've also tried Absolut "Peppar Vodka", which is a big
disappointment since it seems to be made with sweet green peppers.
Making your own pepper vodka is fairly simple.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland