Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Confused about cup meaning

I have some green tea called '3 cup fragrance' mentioned previously
which I got from my local tea shoppe. It is also sold perse on
websites. I assumed it was a English trading term and could find
location and folklore in Chinese using PinYin. However I've noticed
several other recent references in the ng to '2 cup' and '7 cup' tea
names. I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a generic
description obviously meaning the number of infusions more than
meaningful tea name.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello Jim,
The " 3 cup fragrance'" is word for word Translation.
Its Chinese Name in Pinyin is "San Bei Xiang", (Sab--Three, Bei--Cup
Xiang--Fragrance)
It is one kind of green tea in Taishun County of Zhejiang Province.
After three cups of infusiona, "San Bei Xiang"'s fragance is still
good, while most of the green tea can't afford good fragance any more,
that's why they name it "San Bei xiang".
Pauline
www.black-tea.cn

On Jan 29, 10:53 pm, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> I have some green tea called '3 cup fragrance' mentioned previously
> which I got from my local tea shoppe. It is also sold perse on
> websites. I assumed it was a English trading term and could find
> location and folklore in Chinese using PinYin. However I've noticed
> several other recent references in the ng to '2 cup' and '7 cup' tea
> names. I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a generic
> description obviously meaning the number of infusions more than
> meaningful tea name.
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> I have some green tea called '3 cup fragrance' mentioned previously
> which I got from my local tea shoppe. It is also sold perse on
> websites. I assumed it was a English trading term and could find
> location and folklore in Chinese using PinYin. However I've noticed
> several other recent references in the ng to '2 cup' and '7 cup' tea
> names. I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a generic
> description obviously meaning the number of infusions more than
> meaningful tea name.

I think you're right about that.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

At least my '3 cup fragrance' isn't an orphan and has a home. What do
you know about Liu Bei Xiang, 6 cup fragrance from Fujian? Do this
mean 6 infusions or something else?

xiexie,
Jim

On Jan 29, 8:24 am, "pauline" > wrote:
> Hello Jim,
> The " 3 cup fragrance'" is word for word Translation.
> Its Chinese Name in Pinyin is "San Bei Xiang", (Sab--Three, Bei--Cup
> Xiang--Fragrance)
> It is one kind of green tea in Taishun County of Zhejiang Province.
> After three cups of infusiona, "San Bei Xiang"'s fragance is still
> good, while most of the green tea can't afford good fragance any more,
> that's why they name it "San Bei xiang".
> Paulinewww.black-tea.cn
>
> On Jan 29, 10:53 pm, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
>

> > I have some green tea called '3 cup fragrance' mentioned previously
> > which I got from my local tea shoppe. It is also sold perse on
> > websites. I assumed it was a English trading term and could find
> > location and folklore in Chinese using PinYin. However I've noticed
> > several other recent references in the ng to '2 cup' and '7 cup' tea
> > names. I'm wondering if this is nothing more than a generic
> > description obviously meaning the number of infusions more than
> > meaningful tea name.

> > Jim- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"pauline" > writes:

> Hello Jim,
> The " 3 cup fragrance'" is word for word Translation.
> Its Chinese Name in Pinyin is "San Bei Xiang", (Sab--Three, Bei--Cup
> Xiang--Fragrance)
> It is one kind of green tea in Taishun County of Zhejiang Province.
> After three cups of infusiona, "San Bei Xiang"'s fragance is still
> good, while most of the green tea can't afford good fragance any more,
> that's why they name it "San Bei xiang".

I actually drank my way through a quarter-pound of San Bei Xiang
several years ago. I found it fairly insipid, and not at all worth
steeping three times. I'm aware that mileage varies, etc., but that's
my experience, and I don't intend to relive it any time soon.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

My well meaning sister Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 111 10-12-2011 08:07 AM
The meaning of life -- Food! Phred General Cooking 1 16-01-2010 04:57 PM
Meaning Of ? Mike Hagley Wine 9 14-02-2009 10:54 PM
What's the meaning of 'caper' Adam Funk General Cooking 10 08-10-2007 01:42 AM
Origin/Meaning of "Pepper Beef"? Monroe, of course... Asian Cooking 4 28-03-2004 07:44 PM