Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine in Costa Rica

Hi,

as I'm going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks I would be grateful for any
kind of clues regarding wine in this country.

I understand that CR is more a coffee and beer drinkers' paradise, but is
there somewhere an oasis for wine aficionados, i.e. any decent wineries or
restaurants with interesting wine lists?

Thanks

Yves

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:26:28 +0100, Yves wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks I would be grateful for
> any kind of clues regarding wine in this country.
>
> I understand that CR is more a coffee and beer drinkers' paradise, but
> is there somewhere an oasis for wine aficionados, i.e. any decent
> wineries or restaurants with interesting wine lists?
>
> Thanks
>
> Yves

There were no wineries when I was there twenty years ago. They grow many
good food items, but grapes were not among them. Most beers were on the
"light" side, but still very drinkable.

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Yves wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as I'm going to Costa Rica for a couple of weeks I would be grateful for
>> any kind of clues regarding wine in this country.

> It is equatorial, so no vines.

I realize that it is close to the equator and that growing conditions must
be very different from Chile or Argentina and even Mexico, but the Lonely
Planet guidebook mentions that they have pretty ordinary wines. Trust me,
I'll find it out... and I will probably be glad to order a Gato Negro or a
pint of lager!

all the best

Yves

> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Lizano Sauce (Costa Rica) Roy Jose Lorr General Cooking 3 29-08-2006 09:25 PM
Lizano Sauce (Costa Rica) [email protected] General Cooking 0 29-08-2006 01:05 PM
New old drink from Costa Rica Inkeola General 0 03-12-2004 06:49 PM
Costa Rica Coffee MCGator Coffee 1 08-11-2004 08:05 PM
Costa Rica Recipes Dimitri General Cooking 13 03-04-2004 05:52 PM