Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Winegeek wines for non-winegeeks

Sat. night, Andrew's best friend Quinn came over with his family (Mom,
Dad and younger brother Grant) for dinner at our place. The expected
chaos of two four-year-old boys cavorting with a two-year-old boy in tow
was raised to whole new levels when Grant sicked up just as dinner was
being served. Having just recently endured a close encounter with
norovirus, Jean and I gritted our teeth and soldiered on with the dinner
of roasted tenderloin of pork filled with dried fruit and potato-leek
soup. With the appetizers of gambas al ajillo and olives, we opened:

NV Foreau Vouvray Brut
nose: lightly toasty, herbal, citrus
palate: fine mousse, crisp acidity, herbal, toast

The current release of this Loire sparkler was a bit less fruity than
earlier versions, but also had more pronounced bergamot-like herbal
character -- either that, or it was subtly corked ;-) A big hit with
all of us.

With dinner, we opened:

2006 Michel Tête "Domaine du Clos du Fief" Juliénas
nose: red fruit, minerals
palate: silky entry, cranberry light body, balanced acidity

A very good match with the slight sweetness of the pork, it was very
drinkable stuff that pleased all of us, winegeek and non-winegeek alike.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote .....

> With dinner, we opened:
>
> 2006 Michel Tête "Domaine du Clos du Fief" Juliénas
> nose: red fruit, minerals
> palate: silky entry, cranberry light body, balanced acidity
>
> A very good match with the slight sweetness of the pork, it
> was very drinkable stuff that pleased all of us, winegeek
> and non-winegeek alike.

One of the great frustrations of reading of these Beaujolais, is knowing
that virtually none is now, or will ever be available in this southpac
backwater.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:

> One of the great frustrations of reading of these Beaujolais, is knowing
> that virtually none is now, or will ever be available in this southpac
> backwater.

The only answer, then, is to come to that bastion of free trade, the US,
to sample some of that vinous ambrosia. More seriously, can you not
talk to some of the better importers about bringing in a few? I'd think
that the Kiwi palate would be fairly well attuned to such wines. Do you
know of Russell Briggs of Russell Briggs Selections in Nelson? He might
be amenable.

Good luck!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> st.helier wrote:
>
>> One of the great frustrations of reading of these Beaujolais, is knowing
>> that virtually none is now, or will ever be available in this southpac
>> backwater.

> The only answer, then, is to come to that bastion of free trade, the US,
> to sample some of that vinous ambrosia. More seriously, can you not
> talk to some of the better importers about bringing in a few? I'd think
> that the Kiwi palate would be fairly well attuned to such wines. Do you
> know of Russell Briggs of Russell Briggs Selections in Nelson? He might
> be amenable.
>
> Good luck!
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I'd have thought that Maison Vauron, Newmarket, Auckland
would might be more likely to yield a few bottles. Not as distant
from his lordships castle either.
As to their selection, I can't offer an opinion, as I haven't checked
those particular shelves. I know they airfreight a few cases each year
early november (17th?) for the traditional Beaujolais arrival. I guess they
follow
that up with bulk (sea freight) supply later.
Maison V have a website, but last visits I found it was not kept up to date
and therefore of no use.
Shop worth a visit for all francophiles. Bewa imported french cheese also
on sale.

greybeard