Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Vermont TN's

My wife and I met a couple other couples for an annual get together at
Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont this past long weekend. We've been
doing this for many years now and we bring wines from our cellar as
well as enjoying the wines from Twin Farms cellars which are quite
extensive. I made brief notes:

1961 Chateau Mouton-Still hanging in but getting a bit tired. Typical
old Bordeaux notes with cedar, leather and tobacco. A nice bit of up
front cassis and blackcherry.

1949 Chateau Haut Brion-Really showing it's age. Very brickish and
more woody cedar than fruit. A little raisin and plum with a lot of
leather.

1961 Chateau Latour-Dark purple in the glass. Nice black fruit and
black coffee notes. Plenty of earthy forest and tobacco. Still
drinking well but drink up.

1945 Chateau Mouton-Clearly the class of the old Bordeaux. Deep
purple with little overt signs of age. Richly complex nose of black
currants, plum and black cherry. Plenty of body and depth with layers
of sweet fruit, lead pencil, vanilla and anise.

1986 Leoville Las Cases-From magnum. Inky black. Ripe black fruit
nose. Palate showed massive ripe cassis, some minerality and
graphite. Smooth tannins were a surprise. Drinking extremely well
right now.

2001 Harlan Estate-From magnum. Ultraripe nose of blackberries and
espresso. Plenty of oaky vanilla and smooth plush tannins.

2004 Chave Hermitage Blanc-rich and oily. Honeysuckle and orange peel
nose. Lovely now should improve in 5-10 years.

1999 Chave Hermitage-a bit sharp and tangy lemon and honey notes with
a touch of salinity and slightly oxyidized sherry notes.

2003 Dageneau Silex-Wonderful depth and minerality with a core of
citrus peel, lemon curd and bright clean acidity.

2005 Sine Qua Non Atlantis Fe203 2B Grenache-Wow. Thick and syrupy
with extremely ripe blackberry and aniose notes that were almost
sweet. I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
dry. It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
overwhelming.

1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
Very light red with a tinge of brick. Cherry and tea notes with a bit
of earthy forest floor.

2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. Black cherry and
blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.

1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. Tiny bubbles.
Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. Plenty
of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> My wife and I met a couple other couples for an annual get together at
> Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont this past long weekend. We've been
> doing this for many years now and we bring wines from our cellar as
> well as enjoying the wines from Twin Farms cellars which are quite
> extensive. I made brief notes:
>
> 1961 Chateau Mouton-Still hanging in but getting a bit tired. Typical
> old Bordeaux notes with cedar, leather and tobacco. A nice bit of up
> front cassis and blackcherry.
>
> 1949 Chateau Haut Brion-Really showing it's age. Very brickish and
> more woody cedar than fruit. A little raisin and plum with a lot of
> leather.
>
> 1961 Chateau Latour-Dark purple in the glass. Nice black fruit and
> black coffee notes. Plenty of earthy forest and tobacco. Still
> drinking well but drink up.
>
> 1945 Chateau Mouton-Clearly the class of the old Bordeaux. Deep
> purple with little overt signs of age. Richly complex nose of black
> currants, plum and black cherry. Plenty of body and depth with layers
> of sweet fruit, lead pencil, vanilla and anise.
>
> 1986 Leoville Las Cases-From magnum. Inky black. Ripe black fruit
> nose. Palate showed massive ripe cassis, some minerality and
> graphite. Smooth tannins were a surprise. Drinking extremely well
> right now.
>
> 2001 Harlan Estate-From magnum. Ultraripe nose of blackberries and
> espresso. Plenty of oaky vanilla and smooth plush tannins.
>
> 2004 Chave Hermitage Blanc-rich and oily. Honeysuckle and orange peel
> nose. Lovely now should improve in 5-10 years.
>
> 1999 Chave Hermitage-a bit sharp and tangy lemon and honey notes with
> a touch of salinity and slightly oxyidized sherry notes.
>
> 2003 Dageneau Silex-Wonderful depth and minerality with a core of
> citrus peel, lemon curd and bright clean acidity.
>
> 2005 Sine Qua Non Atlantis Fe203 2B Grenache-Wow. Thick and syrupy
> with extremely ripe blackberry and aniose notes that were almost
> sweet. I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
> dry. It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
> overwhelming.
>
> 1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
> Very light red with a tinge of brick. Cherry and tea notes with a bit
> of earthy forest floor.
>
> 2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. Black cherry and
> blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.
>
> 1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. Tiny bubbles.
> Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. Plenty
> of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.

Nice notes and some amazing wines. The Latour and '61 Mouton I haven't
tasted in more than 20 years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 13, 1:45�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> My wife and I met a couple other couples for an annual get together at
> Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont this past long weekend. �We've been
> doing this for many years now and we bring wines from our cellar as
> well as enjoying the wines from Twin Farms cellars which are quite
> extensive. �I made brief notes:
>
> 1961 Chateau Mouton-Still hanging in but getting a bit tired. �Typical
> old Bordeaux notes with cedar, leather and tobacco. �A nice bit of up
> front cassis and blackcherry.
>
> 1949 Chateau Haut Brion-Really showing it's age. �Very brickish and
> more woody cedar than fruit. �A little raisin and plum with a lot of
> leather.
>
> 1961 Chateau Latour-Dark purple in the glass. �Nice black fruit and
> black coffee notes. �Plenty of earthy forest and tobacco. �Still
> drinking well but drink up.
>
> 1945 Chateau Mouton-Clearly the class of the old Bordeaux. �Deep
> purple with little overt signs of age. �Richly complex nose of black
> currants, plum and black cherry. �Plenty of body and depth with layers
> of sweet fruit, lead pencil, vanilla and anise.
>
> 1986 Leoville Las Cases-From magnum. �Inky black. �Ripe black fruit
> nose. �Palate showed massive ripe cassis, some minerality and
> graphite. �Smooth tannins were a surprise. �Drinking extremely well
> right now.
>
> 2001 Harlan Estate-From magnum. �Ultraripe nose of blackberries and
> espresso. �Plenty of oaky vanilla and smooth plush tannins.
>
> 2004 Chave Hermitage Blanc-rich and oily. �Honeysuckle and orange peel
> nose. �Lovely now should improve in 5-10 years.
>
> 1999 Chave Hermitage-a bit sharp and tangy lemon and honey notes with
> a touch of salinity and slightly oxyidized sherry notes.
>
> 2003 Dageneau Silex-Wonderful depth and minerality with a core of
> citrus peel, lemon curd and bright clean acidity.
>
> 2005 Sine Qua Non Atlantis Fe203 2B Grenache-Wow. �Thick and syrupy
> with extremely ripe blackberry and aniose notes that were almost
> sweet. �I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
> dry. �It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
> overwhelming.
>
> 1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
> Very light red with a tinge of brick. �Cherry and tea notes with a bit
> of earthy forest floor.
>
> 2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. �Black cherry and
> blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.
>
> 1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. �Tiny bubbles.
> Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. �Plenty
> of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.

Great notes, that's one hell of a weekend!
Not first less than great note I've seen on '99 Chave
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 14, 4:24�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 1:45 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > My wife and I met a couple other couples for an annual get together at
> > Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont this past long weekend. We've been
> > doing this for many years now and we bring wines from our cellar as
> > well as enjoying the wines from Twin Farms cellars which are quite
> > extensive. I made brief notes:

> > 1961 Chateau Mouton-Still hanging in but getting a bit tired. Typical
> > old Bordeaux notes with cedar, leather and tobacco. A nice bit of up
> > front cassis and blackcherry.

> > 1949 Chateau Haut Brion-Really showing it's age. Very brickish and
> > more woody cedar than fruit. A little raisin and plum with a lot of
> > leather.

> > 1961 Chateau Latour-Dark purple in the glass. Nice black fruit and
> > black coffee notes. Plenty of earthy forest and tobacco. Still
> > drinking well but drink up.

> > 1945 Chateau Mouton-Clearly the class of the old Bordeaux. Deep
> > purple with little overt signs of age. Richly complex nose of black
> > currants, plum and black cherry. Plenty of body and depth with layers
> > of sweet fruit, lead pencil, vanilla and anise.

> > 1986 Leoville Las Cases-From magnum. Inky black. Ripe black fruit
> > nose. Palate showed massive ripe cassis, some minerality and
> > graphite. Smooth tannins were a surprise. Drinking extremely well
> > right now.

> > 2001 Harlan Estate-From magnum. Ultraripe nose of blackberries and
> > espresso. Plenty of oaky vanilla and smooth plush tannins.

> > 2004 Chave Hermitage Blanc-rich and oily. Honeysuckle and orange peel
> > nose. Lovely now should improve in 5-10 years.

> > 1999 Chave Hermitage-a bit sharp and tangy lemon and honey notes with
> > a touch of salinity and slightly oxyidized sherry notes.

> > 2003 Dageneau Silex-Wonderful depth and minerality with a core of
> > citrus peel, lemon curd and bright clean acidity.

> > 2005 Sine Qua Non Atlantis Fe203 2B Grenache-Wow. Thick and syrupy
> > with extremely ripe blackberry and aniose notes that were almost
> > sweet. I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
> > dry. It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
> > overwhelming.

> > 1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
> > Very light red with a tinge of brick. Cherry and tea notes with a bit
> > of earthy forest floor.

> > 2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. Black cherry and
> > blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.

> > 1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. Tiny bubbles.
> > Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. Plenty
> > of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.

> Great notes, that's one hell of a weekend!
> Not first less than great note I've seen on '99 Chave- Hide quoted text -

There seems to be about a 50-50 chance of getting an oxidized bottle
at least that's been my average.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 14, 4:17�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > My wife and I met a couple other couples for an annual get together at
> > Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont this past long weekend. �We've been
> > doing this for many years now and we bring wines from our cellar as
> > well as enjoying the wines from Twin Farms cellars which are quite
> > extensive. �I made brief notes:

> > 1961 Chateau Mouton-Still hanging in but getting a bit tired. �Typical
> > old Bordeaux notes with cedar, leather and tobacco. �A nice bit of up
> > front cassis and blackcherry.

> > 1949 Chateau Haut Brion-Really showing it's age. �Very brickish and
> > more woody cedar than fruit. �A little raisin and plum with a lot of
> > leather.

> > 1961 Chateau Latour-Dark purple in the glass. �Nice black fruit and
> > black coffee notes. �Plenty of earthy forest and tobacco. �Still
> > drinking well but drink up.

> > 1945 Chateau Mouton-Clearly the class of the old Bordeaux. �Deep
> > purple with little overt signs of age. �Richly complex nose of black
> > currants, plum and black cherry. �Plenty of body and depth with layers
> > of sweet fruit, lead pencil, vanilla and anise.

> > 1986 Leoville Las Cases-From magnum. �Inky black. �Ripe black fruit
> > nose. �Palate showed massive ripe cassis, some minerality and
> > graphite. �Smooth tannins were a surprise. �Drinking extremely well
> > right now.

> > 2001 Harlan Estate-From magnum. �Ultraripe nose of blackberries and
> > espresso. �Plenty of oaky vanilla and smooth plush tannins.

> > 2004 Chave Hermitage Blanc-rich and oily. �Honeysuckle and orange peel
> > nose. �Lovely now should improve in 5-10 years.

> > 1999 Chave Hermitage-a bit sharp and tangy lemon and honey notes with
> > a touch of salinity and slightly oxyidized sherry notes.

> > 2003 Dageneau Silex-Wonderful depth and minerality with a core of
> > citrus peel, lemon curd and bright clean acidity.

> > 2005 Sine Qua Non Atlantis Fe203 2B Grenache-Wow. �Thick and syrupy
> > with extremely ripe blackberry and aniose notes that were almost
> > sweet. �I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
> > dry. �It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
> > overwhelming.

> > 1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
> > Very light red with a tinge of brick. �Cherry and tea notes with a bit
> > of earthy forest floor.

> > 2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. �Black cherry and
> > blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.

> > 1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. �Tiny bubbles.
> > Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. �Plenty
> > of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.

> Nice notes and some amazing wines. The Latour and '61 Mouton I haven't
> tasted in more than 20 years.- Hide quoted text -

The '45 was the surprise. It was like drinking history and the wine
was still so profound and young.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> [...]

> > > sweet. ?I got the impression of RS but I'm quite sure it was fermented
> > > dry. ?It's just so ripe and the fruit is so concentrated that it's
> > > overwhelming.

> > > 1988 Joseph Roty Gevrey Chambertain Champs Chenys-Mature and fading.
> > > Very light red with a tinge of brick. ?Cherry and tea notes with a bit
> > > of earthy forest floor.

> > > 2003 Perrot-Minot Mazoyeres Chambertain-Inky black. ?Black cherry and
> > > blackberry with plenty of wet stones and anise.

> > > 1995 Krug Clos de Mesnil-My personal favorite. ?Tiny bubbles.
> > > Wonderful yeasty nose with the smell of limestones interlaced. ?Plenty
> > > of hazelnut and honey on the palate framed in lemon zest and brioche.

> > Nice notes and some amazing wines. The Latour and '61 Mouton I haven't
> > tasted in more than 20 years.- Hide quoted text -

> The '45 was the surprise. It was like drinking history and the wine

Very interesting history. The oldest wines I have had have been from '47.