Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: inexpensive GV, Barbera/Nebbiolo/CF blend

Last night it was unseasonably cool, put Betsy in the mood to do some
indoor cooking (we mostly do quick stuff or grill in summer). She
needed white wine for her Bolognese sauce, I opened the 2006 Graf
Hardegg "Veltinsky" Gruner Veltliner . Fresh and fruit driven, citrus
and peach with just a phantom wisp of white pepper dancing around the
edges. A touch of sweetness, no depth or complexity to speak of, but
this was under $10 and a decent QPR at that price. B-

With the veal ragu, green beans, and salad, the 2004 Sella Orbello
(Costa della Sesia). Fun juicy blend, ripe dark berry fruits with some
tar and a little "Russian tea" (a totally inauthentic blend of tea,
lemon, orange, and spices that my mom made in the 70s). Goes well with
the food, a fun wine and a good value at about $14. B+/B

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Last night it was unseasonably cool, put Betsy in the mood to do some
> indoor cooking (we mostly do quick stuff or grill in summer). She
> needed white wine for her Bolognese sauce, I opened the 2006 Graf
> Hardegg "Veltinsky" Gruner Veltliner . Fresh and fruit driven, citrus
> and peach with just a phantom wisp of white pepper dancing around the
> edges. A touch of sweetness, no depth or complexity to speak of, but
> this was under $10 and a decent QPR at that price. B-
>
> With the veal ragu, green beans, and salad, the 2004 Sella Orbello
> (Costa della Sesia). Fun juicy blend, ripe dark berry fruits with some
> tar and a little "Russian tea" (a totally inauthentic blend of tea,
> lemon, orange, and spices that my mom made in the 70s). Goes well with
> the food, a fun wine and a good value at about $14. B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

The Sella Orbella is a Barbera mostly isn't it? Can't find any of these
wines around here.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 27, 11:34�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night it was unseasonably cool, put Betsy in the mood to do some
> > indoor cooking (we mostly do quick stuff or grill in summer). She
> > needed white wine for her Bolognese sauce, I opened the 2006 Graf
> > Hardegg "Veltinsky" Gruner Veltliner . Fresh and fruit driven, citrus
> > and peach with just a phantom wisp of white pepper dancing around the
> > edges. A touch of sweetness, no depth or complexity to speak of, but
> > this was under $10 and a decent QPR at that price. B-

> > With the veal ragu, green beans, and salad, the 2004 Sella Orbello
> > (Costa della Sesia). Fun juicy blend, ripe dark berry fruits with some
> > tar and a little "Russian tea" (a totally inauthentic blend of tea,
> > lemon, orange, and spices that my mom made in the 70s). Goes well with
> > the food, a fun wine and a good value at about $14. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> The Sella Orbella is a Barbera mostly isn't it? Can't find any of these
> wines around here.- Hide quoted text -

Think it's half Barbera, with some Nebbiolo, Cab Franc, and a little
amount of an indigenous grape I don't recall.
has been at Astor and Chambers St in NYC, but shipping costs make
under $15 wines less attractive overall.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 27, 11:34�am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Last night it was unseasonably cool, put Betsy in the mood to do some
> > indoor cooking (we mostly do quick stuff or grill in summer). She
> > needed white wine for her Bolognese sauce, I opened the 2006 Graf
> > Hardegg "Veltinsky" Gruner Veltliner . Fresh and fruit driven, citrus
> > and peach with just a phantom wisp of white pepper dancing around the
> > edges. A touch of sweetness, no depth or complexity to speak of, but
> > this was under $10 and a decent QPR at that price. B-

> > With the veal ragu, green beans, and salad, the 2004 Sella Orbello
> > (Costa della Sesia). Fun juicy blend, ripe dark berry fruits with some
> > tar and a little "Russian tea" (a totally inauthentic blend of tea,
> > lemon, orange, and spices that my mom made in the 70s). Goes well with
> > the food, a fun wine and a good value at about $14. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> The Sella Orbella is a Barbera mostly isn't it? Can't find any of these
> wines around here.- Hide quoted text -

On another site someone just furnished the blend:
50% Barbera; 25% Nebbiolo; 20% Cabernet Franc; and 5% Vespolina.

TN: 2 inexpensive Italians, one (relatively) inexpensive Champagne DaleW Wine 0 27-09-2009 03:26 PM
TN Nebbiolo, Chardonnay, Merlot, PBlanc, & Rhone blend DaleW Wine 0 17-09-2007 03:14 PM
TN: '03 Coppo Barbera and '86 Sociando DaleW Wine 4 07-05-2007 11:08 PM
TN: G. Borgogno Barbera DaleW Wine 8 01-02-2007 04:28 AM
Dolcetto and Barbera Italian Wine Wine 2 10-10-2005 10:29 PM