Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '03 Coppo Barbera and '86 Sociando

For Tuesday's dinner Betsy had needed a cup of white wine, and opened
a 375 of the 2005 Lamothe de Haux (Bordeaux AC). Tasted next day it
was its usual dependable self, brightly acidic, a little grassy, lemon
fruit, quite short but at $5 a half who's complaining? B-

Betsy was leaving Saturday for concerts, she made a nice family dinner
Friday before I went to local tasting group (notes separate)- we've
discovered it'sa good idea for me to be elsewhere when she is
packing
Dinner was a Calabrese lamb chop recipe, in a red pepper and olive
sauce. Fresh out of Calabrian wine, I went way north, and opened the
2003 Coppo "Camp du Rouss" Barbera d'Asti. This was sold as "light on
the oak", but I found it quite oaky (not Braida level, but more than
most Barberas I've drunk). Ripe black raspberry fruit, a bit more
tannic and less acidic than I'm used to in Barbera (product of the
vintage, I'd assume). OK, but I didn't love. Tasted next night the oak
was more integrated, the tannins not as rough edged, I enjoyed more- a
nice modern Barbera. . B- first night, B/B+ second.

Saturday I took Betsy to airport, then divided day between work,
errands, and lawncare. Lovely spring day, and I decided I'd grill a
porterhouse and some squash. A glass of the Barbera, but for the steak
I opened a 375 of the 1986 Ch. Sociando-Mallet (Haut-Medoc). Much more
accessible and less tannic than from a full bottle a few months ago.
Beautiful mature Bordeaux nose of cedar, tobacco, and herbs; nice
balance of acids and integrating tannins, pure blackcurrant fruit with
an underlying note of graphite. Absolutely lovely claret, a pointe
from the half. A-/A

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Saturday I took Betsy to airport, then divided day between work,
> errands, and lawncare. Lovely spring day, and I decided I'd grill a
> porterhouse and some squash. A glass of the Barbera, but for the steak
> I opened a 375 of the 1986 Ch. Sociando-Mallet (Haut-Medoc). Much more
> accessible and less tannic than from a full bottle a few months ago.
> Beautiful mature Bordeaux nose of cedar, tobacco, and herbs; nice
> balance of acids and integrating tannins, pure blackcurrant fruit with
> an underlying note of graphite. Absolutely lovely claret, a pointe
> from the half. A-/A

Thanks for the notes, Dale. I can almost taste this wine.
Sociando-Mallet is one of my favorite Haut-Medocs, and it sounds like
you caught it at peak. Alas, we have only a handful of Bdx from the
'80s left in the cellar (we weren't buying a lot in grad school or as
postdocs), so I'll rely on my vicarious enjoyment of the notes posted by
you, the Bills and Emery.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 6, 1:22 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Saturday I took Betsy to airport, then divided day between work,
> > errands, and lawncare. Lovely spring day, and I decided I'd grill a
> > porterhouse and some squash. A glass of the Barbera, but for the steak
> > I opened a 375 of the 1986 Ch. Sociando-Mallet (Haut-Medoc). Much more
> > accessible and less tannic than from a full bottle a few months ago.
> > Beautiful mature Bordeaux nose of cedar, tobacco, and herbs; nice
> > balance of acids and integrating tannins, pure blackcurrant fruit with
> > an underlying note of graphite. Absolutely lovely claret, a pointe
> > from the half. A-/A

> Thanks for the notes, Dale. I can almost taste this wine.
> Sociando-Mallet is one of my favorite Haut-Medocs, and it sounds like
> you caught it at peak. Alas, we have only a handful of Bdx from the
> '80s left in the cellar (we weren't buying a lot in grad school or as
> postdocs), so I'll rely on my vicarious enjoyment of the notes posted by
> you, the Bills and Emery.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I'm about out of my 80's also. I have a few left from '82, '83, '85,
'86, and '89. Mostly Lynch Bages, Cheval Blanc, a few Moutons and
Lafites a smattering of Haut Brion The Pichons and the Leovilles.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 7, 9:51�am, Bi!! > wrote:
> On May 6, 1:22 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > DaleW wrote:
> > > Saturday I took Betsy to airport, then divided day between work,
> > > errands, and lawncare. Lovely spring day, and I decided I'd grill a
> > > porterhouse and some squash. A glass of the Barbera, but for the steak
> > > I opened a 375 of the 1986 Ch. Sociando-Mallet (Haut-Medoc). Much more
> > > accessible and less tannic than from a full bottle a few months ago.
> > > Beautiful mature Bordeaux nose of cedar, tobacco, and herbs; nice
> > > balance of acids and integrating tannins, pure blackcurrant fruit with
> > > an underlying note of graphite. Absolutely lovely claret, a pointe
> > > from the half. A-/A

> > Thanks for the notes, Dale. *I can almost taste this wine.
> > Sociando-Mallet is one of my favorite Haut-Medocs, and it sounds like
> > you caught it at peak. *Alas, we have only a handful of Bdx from the
> > '80s left in the cellar (we weren't buying a lot in grad school or as
> > postdocs), so I'll rely on my vicarious enjoyment of the notes posted by
> > you, the Bills and Emery.

> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> I'm about out of my 80's also. *I have a few left from '82, '83, '85,
> '86, and '89. *Mostly Lynch Bages, Cheval Blanc, a few Moutons and
> Lafites a smattering of Haut Brion The Pichons and the Leovilles.- Hide quoted text -

I'm down to less than 40 pre-1990 Bdx. And with HDH prices this
weekend I'm not going to be able buy more. Couple HautBrion and
Chevals (from less hyped vintages), rest Meyneys, Poyferres, Talbots,
etc.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 06 May 2007 13:22:52 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Thanks for the notes, Dale. I can almost taste this wine.
> Sociando-Mallet is one of my favorite Haut-Medocs, and it sounds like
> you caught it at peak. Alas, we have only a handful of Bdx from the
> '80s left in the cellar (we weren't buying a lot in grad school or as
> postdocs), so I'll rely on my vicarious enjoyment of the notes posted by
> you, the Bills and Emery.

Mark, you honor me to put me in such company. I don't think my palate
is on par with either of the Bills, or Dale. And my cellar probably matches
my palate in this respect!

This said, although I do have a few S-Ms from that epoch, I don't think
I've got more than 4 cases left from the 80s, either. Sad to say.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

TN: Italians, Sociando, Bedrock white, Cowan, etc DaleW Wine 1 13-01-2016 05:34 PM
TN: G. Borgogno Barbera DaleW Wine 8 01-02-2007 04:28 AM
TN: Sociando-Mallet vertical at La Bonne Soupe DaleW Wine 1 13-09-2006 03:28 PM
TN: Sociando-Mallet vertical at La Bonne Soupe DaleW Wine 0 12-09-2006 01:53 PM
Ch Sociando Mallet 1985 adrian Wine 0 31-08-2004 12:56 PM