Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Germans, 1 Bordeaux

A friend came over to trade some bottles, I opened the 2007 Gysler
Weinheimer Riesling Kabinett (Rheinhessen). Lovely, light, and
lively. Bright sweet green apple fruit with a little hint of peaches,
off-dry, bright and invigorating acidity. Maybe not complex or
long,but the perfect summer Riesling. B+, solid A for value ($14,
which in today's market is inexpensive).

Heatwave is here, which doesn't normally mean Bordeaux for me. But it
was so hot I was sticking to AC, and besides Jenise had put out a call
for data points on the 94s. So I sipped on cold Riesling as I dashed
out to grill to sear some loin lamb chops in a rosemary/sage/garlic
marinade.Served with leftover pasta and a salad featuring first local
tomatoes of year, and the 1994 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien).
Decanted for about an hour in advance (surprisingly almost no
sediment). Yep, still has some tannins hanging in there, but they are
ripe/silky enough not to be harsh. Cassis fruit augmented by a little
note of blackberry liqueur, there's a bit of espresso and pencil
shavings. Medium-weight Cabernet profile, balanced acidity, good fruit
for the vintage. I think this will hold well for several years, I
personally doubt it this will ever achieve elegance. As with many
1994s, I think it's best drunk over next 4-6 years with some red meat.
I enjoyed Saturday. B+

Sunday Betsy arrived back from NH, but had a flight out to CA that
evening. After Lucy and I dropped her at JFK, we sadly headed home for
dinner- kibble for Lucy, hot dogs for me. I opened the 2007 Leitz Eins
Zwei Dry(3) Riesling QbA (Rheingau). Cute name. It's actually just a
tad off-dry to my palate. There's a saline/slatey mineral note
somewhat dominate. Good acidity, nice length. Doesn't grab me quite as
much as the Gysler, but a very solid drier QbA. B

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Heatwave is here, which doesn't normally mean Bordeaux for me. But it
> was so hot I was sticking to AC, and besides Jenise had put out a call
> for data points on the 94s. So I sipped on cold Riesling as I dashed
> out to grill to sear some loin lamb chops in a rosemary/sage/garlic
> marinade.Served with leftover pasta and a salad featuring first local
> tomatoes of year, and the 1994 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien).
> Decanted for about an hour in advance (surprisingly almost no
> sediment). Yep, still has some tannins hanging in there, but they are
> ripe/silky enough not to be harsh. Cassis fruit augmented by a little
> note of blackberry liqueur, there's a bit of espresso and pencil
> shavings. Medium-weight Cabernet profile, balanced acidity, good fruit
> for the vintage. I think this will hold well for several years, I
> personally doubt it this will ever achieve elegance. As with many
> 1994s, I think it's best drunk over next 4-6 years with some red meat.
> I enjoyed Saturday. B+

I took a look at our inventory, and it turns out that we just have one
'94: Pontet-Canet. We have two bottles of it, but it still seems like
infanticide to open it now. Thoughts?

> Sunday Betsy arrived back from NH, but had a flight out to CA that
> evening. After Lucy and I dropped her at JFK, we sadly headed home for
> dinner- kibble for Lucy, hot dogs for me. I opened the 2007 Leitz Eins
> Zwei Dry(3) Riesling QbA (Rheingau). Cute name. It's actually just a
> tad off-dry to my palate. There's a saline/slatey mineral note
> somewhat dominate. Good acidity, nice length. Doesn't grab me quite as
> much as the Gysler, but a very solid drier QbA. B

Leitz is certainly one for the cutsie names. Where does this sit in the
lineup vis-a-vis the Dragonstone?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 21, 11:18�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Heatwave is here, which doesn't normally mean Bordeaux for me. But it
> > was so hot I was sticking to AC, and besides Jenise had put out a call
> > for data points on the 94s. So I sipped on cold Riesling as I dashed
> > out to grill to sear some loin lamb chops in a rosemary/sage/garlic
> > marinade.Served with leftover pasta and a salad featuring first local
> > tomatoes of year, and the 1994 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien).
> > Decanted for about an hour in advance (surprisingly almost no
> > sediment). Yep, still has some tannins hanging in there, but they are
> > ripe/silky enough not to be harsh. Cassis fruit augmented by a little
> > note of blackberry liqueur, there's a bit of espresso and pencil
> > shavings. Medium-weight Cabernet profile, balanced acidity, good fruit
> > for the vintage. I think this will hold well for several years, I
> > personally doubt it this will ever achieve elegance. As with many
> > 1994s, I think it's best drunk over next 4-6 years with some red meat.
> > I enjoyed Saturday. B+

> I took a look at our inventory, and it turns out that we just have one
> '94: Pontet-Canet. �We have two bottles of it, but it still seems like
> infanticide to open it now. �Thoughts?
>

> > Sunday Betsy arrived back from NH, but had a flight out to CA that
> > evening. After Lucy and I dropped her at JFK, we sadly headed home for
> > dinner- kibble for Lucy, hot dogs for me. I opened the 2007 Leitz Eins
> > Zwei Dry(3) Riesling QbA (Rheingau). Cute name. It's actually just a
> > tad off-dry to my palate. There's a saline/slatey mineral note
> > somewhat dominate. Good acidity, nice length. Doesn't grab me quite as
> > much as the Gysler, but a very solid drier QbA. B

> Leitz is certainly one for the cutsie names. �Where does this sit in the
> lineup vis-a-vis the Dragonstone?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net- Hide quoted text -

I liked the '94 Pontet, the first of the "modern" PCs (but not
overthetop). Others will disagree, but I think like the Poyferre it's
probably not destined to turn into a graceful swan. For my tastes, I'd
just as soon drink it somewhat young and tannic than wait and see the
fruit drop off. There doesn't seem to be the concentration of say a
'96. I'll drink my few 94s now (or over next 5 years) with rare meat.
The exception is the Petit Village, where the fruit even now is
overmatched by the tannins. I'll hold for a few years (because there
is little pleasure now) as an experiment, but will little hope.

Cutesy names? This from a JP Brun fan (FRV100)?
Dragonstone is just a direct translation of Drachenstein, the
vineyard, I believe.
The 123 is drier and slightly cheaper than the Dragonstone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> I liked the '94 Pontet, the first of the "modern" PCs (but not
> overthetop). Others will disagree, but I think like the Poyferre it's
> probably not destined to turn into a graceful swan. For my tastes, I'd
> just as soon drink it somewhat young and tannic than wait and see the
> fruit drop off. There doesn't seem to be the concentration of say a
> '96. I'll drink my few 94s now (or over next 5 years) with rare meat.
> The exception is the Petit Village, where the fruit even now is
> overmatched by the tannins. I'll hold for a few years (because there
> is little pleasure now) as an experiment, but will little hope.

OK. Maybe we will open one soon -- in the interests of scientific
inquiry, of course ;-)

> Cutesy names? This from a JP Brun fan (FRV100)?
> Dragonstone is just a direct translation of Drachenstein, the
> vineyard, I believe.
> The 123 is drier and slightly cheaper than the Dragonstone.

Yeah, I knew the translation of Drachenstein/Dragonstone, but that just
begs the question, no? And "cutsie" isn't derogatory in my book:
provided that it's clever (Ã* la FRV100) it's actually quite fun. Names
such as Bone-Jolly, Goats do Roam, La Cigare Volante, etc. are quite
amusing to me. OTOH, "Fat *******" and "Red Bicyclette" (among many
others) are the other side of the coin.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in news:g62lmj$dtc$1
@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:

(Ã* la FRV100)

Would that be a sparkler from France? F R vess-cent? I rather like it.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> A friend came over to trade some bottles, I opened the 2007 Gysler
> Weinheimer Riesling Kabinett (Rheinhessen). Lovely, light, and
> lively. Bright sweet green apple fruit with a little hint of peaches,
> off-dry, bright and invigorating acidity. Maybe not complex or
> long,but the perfect summer Riesling. B+, solid A for value ($14,
> which in today's market is inexpensive).
>
> Heatwave is here, which doesn't normally mean Bordeaux for me. But it
> was so hot I was sticking to AC, and besides Jenise had put out a call
> for data points on the 94s. So I sipped on cold Riesling as I dashed
> out to grill to sear some loin lamb chops in a rosemary/sage/garlic
> marinade.Served with leftover pasta and a salad featuring first local
> tomatoes of year, and the 1994 Leoville Poyferre (St. Julien).
> Decanted for about an hour in advance (surprisingly almost no
> sediment). Yep, still has some tannins hanging in there, but they are
> ripe/silky enough not to be harsh. Cassis fruit augmented by a little
> note of blackberry liqueur, there's a bit of espresso and pencil
> shavings. Medium-weight Cabernet profile, balanced acidity, good fruit
> for the vintage. I think this will hold well for several years, I
> personally doubt it this will ever achieve elegance. As with many
> 1994s, I think it's best drunk over next 4-6 years with some red meat.
> I enjoyed Saturday. B+
>
> Sunday Betsy arrived back from NH, but had a flight out to CA that
> evening. After Lucy and I dropped her at JFK, we sadly headed home for
> dinner- kibble for Lucy, hot dogs for me. I opened the 2007 Leitz Eins
> Zwei Dry(3) Riesling QbA (Rheingau). Cute name. It's actually just a
> tad off-dry to my palate. There's a saline/slatey mineral note
> somewhat dominate. Good acidity, nice length. Doesn't grab me quite as
> much as the Gysler, but a very solid drier QbA. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

Braver man than I to grill in this kind of heat. Was going to grill
tonight but it is 101.

75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 6 27-05-2010 08:30 PM
WTN two Germans Ian Hoare[_3_] Wine 1 24-12-2007 04:58 PM
Anybody have any opinions on the 2003 Germans? Jaybert41 Wine 19 29-09-2004 07:46 PM
2003 beaujolais and germans John Taverner Wine 3 19-08-2004 09:20 AM