Posted to alt.food.wine

Default mas daumas gassac 2004

Tried the subject wine at a restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC....

Never had a Cab Blend before from Languedoc and it was just OK to my taste.
Based upon a retailer in Chapel Hill, A Southern Season I bought 3 more
bottles and assumed perhaps my tastes were off....they are not expensive
they were $29 on sale from $39.

While the fruit was lush, the wine was far more acidic vs tannic. I prefer
a little tannic component even if well integrated. Meanwhile I bought 3
bottles, drank one tonight, confirmed my thoughts...

Now the remaining two will be in gift baskets for the holidays to others.
:-(

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Richard Neidich wrote:
>> Tried the subject wine at a restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC....
>>
>> Never had a Cab Blend before from Languedoc and it was just OK to my
>> taste. Based upon a retailer in Chapel Hill, A Southern Season I bought 3
>> more bottles and assumed perhaps my tastes were off....they are not
>> expensive they were $29 on sale from $39.
>>
>> While the fruit was lush, the wine was far more acidic vs tannic. I
>> prefer a little tannic component even if well integrated. Meanwhile I
>> bought 3 bottles, drank one tonight, confirmed my thoughts...
>>
>> Now the remaining two will be in gift baskets for the holidays to others.
>> :-(

> The red from MdeDG has consistently been disappointing to me. While this
> is the wine that made the domaine famous as Languedoc's "grand cru", I
> believe it is vastly overrated. OTOH the white, a chardonnay with some
> viognier and minute quantities of other exotic white varieties, is truly
> excellent if allowed to age at least 5 years. Can you believe it, a great
> southern white? I do.
>
> The neighbouring Grange des Pères makes THE Languedoc red, a rich deep
> syrah-mourvedre-cabernet that seems to give at each sip a timed sequence
> of the the three varieties, not necessarily in the same order each time
> (maybe I had too much), anyhow it lasts and lasts... too bad it is so hard
> to find.
>

> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

I was also enticed by local merchants price reduction and purchased 6
bottles
of the 05 MdeD Gassac rouge at the equivalent of 30 euro each, based on
wines reputation only. Merchant suggested cellar for min of 3 years.
Also available was the 04 GrdPeres at around 45 euro, but this is new to me.
Looking at Broadbents 'Vintage Wines' I note quite a bit of vintage
variation
with the MdeD Gassac. Is the 05 likely one of the better? and should I grab
some of the 04 Grd Peres or wait for 05?
Each november I buy a couple of mixed cases of rose for the summer (southern
hemisphere!) with lanquedoc rose often featuring, with Mourgues du Gres and
Lascaux usually in the mix. This season first try of 06 Dom Felines Jourdan
Cot du
Languedoc based on the the perfect 'onion skin' colour of the wine.
Outstanding
choice, I just loved it. Sadly, summers gone, only 1 bottle left.

cheers greybeard

For the End of 2004,For You and Your Family! muse General Cooking 0 18-12-2004 06:04 PM
Melbourne BBQ Day 2004 Tim Chmielewski Barbecue 19 08-12-2004 06:56 AM
UN FAO & WHO approve Steviol glycosides as sweetener June 2004, imports to UK no longer blocked: Martini: Murray 2004.10.17 rmforall Rich Murray Diabetic 3 17-10-2004 07:19 PM
Vinitaly 2004 hvpl Wine 0 13-03-2004 02:19 PM
What's in, what's out in 2004 TOM KAN PA General Cooking 30 09-01-2004 02:20 AM