Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A Correze Lunch

Lunch at Rendez-vous des Pecheurs near St. Merd took about 3.5 hours
today. I small hotel isolated from anything else, but with good
kitchen and cellar.

After the usual appetite teasers, I went for the 29E menu. I had a
foie gras poile with spiced poached apple slices, and then a Tournedos
Rossini with - you guessed it, more seared foie gras on top. The
dessert went to she-who-must-be-obeyed, who had contented herself with
a nice pike perch with Meursault sauce.

2006 Dubord Ch. Laurelie Montravel - most people won't know what a
Montravel is. Made mostly from sauvignon blanc, it had a slightly
green nose with nice fruit, completely devoid of any cat's pee. It was
clean and had great acidity, and complemented the foie gras very well.

2003 Ch. Pineraie Cahors - a really nice wine with a dark colour,
slightly warm nose despite the 13% alcohol, dark fruit and cocoa
(these are almost 100% Malbec), mellow but with lots of soft tannins.
Just the thing for my tournedo, done 'bleu' with foie gras and a local
mushroom accompaniment.

SWMBO pronounced the dessert, a crepes with home made Grand Marnier
ice cream to be quite acceptable!

My investigation of the lesser known wines continues.....