Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Looking for good informational websites

Hello,

New poster, but been around other usenet groups for a few years.

I read the FAQ but did not find the answer to this question:

I'm looking for a review/critique website that carries reliable
information about the quality of recent vintages from around the
world, whether they were good, mediocre, or bad, so that I would have
a better idea of which wines to avoid.

TIA

Fell
Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> New poster, but been around other usenet groups for a few years.
>
> I read the FAQ but did not find the answer to this question:
>
> I'm looking for a review/critique website that carries reliable
> information about the quality of recent vintages from around the
> world, whether they were good, mediocre, or bad, so that I would have
> a better idea of which wines to avoid.

Dear Mr. Knight,
First of all, thanks for looking in the FAQ before posing your
question. All those who contributed to the FAQ will feel the warmth of
knowing that someone actually made use of their labors. As to your
question, what you're after (in its crudest form) is known as a "vintage
chart." Any number of them can be found on the Web by Googling for that
term. One of the more prominent is that maintained by the wine critic
Robert Parker on his website:

http://www.erobertparker.com/newsear...agechart1.aspx

Keep in mind, though, that these are gross generalizations based on one
person's tastes, and that in any year there will be numerous exceptions
to the rule. Also keep in mind that an "off" year will often produce
soft, supple wines that can be drunk with little to no aging, whereas
those from a "great" year might require a decade of cellaring to be
truly drinkable.

HTH
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 7:51 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hello,

> > New poster, but been around other usenet groups for a few years.

> > I read the FAQ but did not find the answer to this question:

> > I'm looking for a review/critique website that carries reliable
> > information about the quality of recent vintages from around the
> > world, whether they were good, mediocre, or bad, so that I would have
> > a better idea of which wines to avoid.

> Dear Mr. Knight,
> First of all, thanks for looking in the FAQ before posing your
> question. All those who contributed to the FAQ will feel the warmth of
> knowing that someone actually made use of their labors. As to your
> question, what you're after (in its crudest form) is known as a "vintage
> chart." Any number of them can be found on the Web by Googling for that
> term. One of the more prominent is that maintained by the wine critic
> Robert Parker on his website:
>
> http://www.erobertparker.com/newsear...agechart1.aspx
>
> Keep in mind, though, that these are gross generalizations based on one
> person's tastes, and that in any year there will be numerous exceptions
> to the rule. Also keep in mind that an "off" year will often produce
> soft, supple wines that can be drunk with little to no aging, whereas
> those from a "great" year might require a decade of cellaring to be
> truly drinkable.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

It does indeed help, as the term "vintage chart" is the bingo term for
searching.

I understand that this will be far from perfect, but it will help
greatly when selecting wines for long-term storage rather than those
to be drunk in the short term, and also because I do not have the time
or inclination to find out how much it rained during the harvest in
regions around the world

Fell
Posted to alt.food.wine

> ... and also because I do not have the time
> or inclination to find out how much it rained during the harvest in
> regions around the world

Any red-blooded European will tell you that knowing the exact amount of rain
falling in a certain region is
HUGELY entertaining. Almost as fun as a new coal shovel.

Eric Olwaite

Good Wine Websites? ht Wine 12 03-03-2006 04:07 AM
Good restaurant websites? OM Asian Cooking 5 21-11-2005 08:52 PM
Good restaurant websites? OM General Cooking 8 14-11-2005 05:32 AM
Any good websites on food and cuisine? Timberwolf Cooking Equipment 4 03-10-2003 11:47 PM
Any good websites on food and cuisine? Timberwolf General 0 03-10-2003 06:29 PM