Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pacific Northwest Tasting

Notes from a Pacific Northwest blind tasting:

1997 Burrowing Owl Chardonnay (BC) - made while Bill Dyer was still in
control this wine was remarkable for its longevity - I'd never have
though a 10 year old BC chard would show as decently. It had some
colour, a nice toasty varietal nose, and it still had decent fruit,
although it finished a bit short.

1990 L'Ecole 41 Merlot (WA) - there was a difference of opinion with
this one as some liked it more than I did. Mature nose with distinct
rubber component, smooth on palate but showing neither much flavour
nor tannin, it was tired and didn't ring my chimes.

1999 Apex Merlot (WA) - I trotted this out right after the Ecole as
another merlot seemed in order. Medium colour, decent almost perfumed
nose, very good balance, fruit and length. Didn't put a foot wrong.
You don't see a lot about this producer, but I have always found it to
be quite reliable.

2000 Calliope Cabernet (BC) - made by itinerant winemaker Ross Mirko,
who shared facilities with Thornhaven, Poplar Grove and Lang, but who
is no longer active, so this is a bit of a rare bird. The nose was
almost syrah at first, the hints of green and tobacco appeared and a
nice sweetness. On palate it was principally raspberries with some
dill at the end. Nice.

1998 Nichol Syrah (BC) - not what you'd expect at all from this
excellent vintage. As light as a pinot and a nose to match had us
going in circles. Tight and well crafted, this is showing age with the
fruit only showing up near the end.

2001 Sandhill Sangiovese (BC) - it was now comedy time, and don't take
that as a shot at capable winemaker Howard Soon, as I tend to view all
new world attempts at Italian varietals as suspect. Very sweet nose,
light colour, flat on palate.

2001 Sandhill 3 (BC) - as the foregoing had mostly ended up in the
dump bucket, our hero added insult to injury by proffering this as his
back-up. A sangio, barbera blend with a bit of merlot and cab tossed
in. It had not much nose at all, but at least had decent balance and
fruit. It would not tempt any of us to but it, however.

2002 Sandhill Small Lots Cab Syrah (BC) - this came just in time to
uphold our flagging opinion of this producer. Cocoa and fruit in the
nose smooth in the mouth with great fruit in the middle and a coffee
mocha finish. Pretty much made up for the last two.

1998 L'Ecole 41 Cabernet (Walla Walla) - this was everything the 1990
wasn't - briar and road tar nose, balanced with good fruit, tannin and
length, and time to go yet.

1999 Glen Fiona Syrah (WA) - this Figgins wine had a stewed tomato
nose, sweet caramelised fruit and a fair bit of tannin. OK I suppose,
but not to my taste.

2002 Isenhower River Beauty Syrah (WA) - everything the previous wine
wasn't, including being recognizably syrah. A big, black sweet wine
packed with fruit and soft tannin, this solid offering has time to go
yet. No rush.

1970 Warres Port - medium colour that placed it in the 70s (not as
light as the 60s vintages are becoming) and a waxy warm sweet nose
that was beautifully mature, an excellent balance with no undue heat
in the finish. Very enjoyable. Guess I should leave my case of 1977
alone a few more years...

Truffles in the Northwest? merryb General Cooking 4 07-04-2011 12:38 AM
Truffles in the Northwest? ImStillMags General Cooking 0 06-04-2011 11:35 PM
The frozen northwest Cindy Fuller General Cooking 7 25-12-2008 07:11 PM
Pacific Northwest Wines Bill S. Wine 3 02-07-2007 10:26 PM
Pacific Northwest BBQ JD Barbecue 14 03-05-2006 09:34 PM