Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The frozen northwest

Seattle has been having an abnormally cold and snowy week. We had about
5" of snow on Thursday on top of ice, and we're due to get more (and
possibly high winds) tonight. The amount is puny by my standards, but
Seattle has too many hills and narrow streets for snowplows to
negotiate. You may have seen the picture on last night's news of the
charter bus that was teetering precariously over I-5 after losing
control on an icy hill. The snow just started falling again, but (so
far) not heavily.

We ventured out yesterday for groceries, including purchase of the
fixings for duck à l'orange for Christmas dinner and the pecan pie for
Christmas eve (weather permitting). Tonight we're supposed to go to a
party, to which I'm taking fennel-orange-pomegranate salad. This
morning I made two loaves of the infamous eggnog bread with pecans,
craisins, dried apricots, and dates. One loaf is for a party tomorrow
night, the other I gave to our neighbors. More will be baked.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 3:34*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> Seattle has been having an abnormally cold and snowy week. *We had about
> 5" of snow on Thursday on top of ice, and we're due to get more (and
> possibly high winds) tonight. *The amount is puny by my standards, but
> Seattle has too many hills and narrow streets for snowplows to
> negotiate. *You may have seen the picture on last night's news of the
> charter bus that was teetering precariously over I-5 after losing
> control on an icy hill. *The snow just started falling again, but (so
> far) not heavily.
>
> We ventured out yesterday for groceries, including purchase of the
> fixings for duck à l'orange for Christmas dinner and the pecan pie for
> Christmas eve (weather permitting). *Tonight we're supposed to go to a
> party, to which I'm taking fennel-orange-pomegranate salad. *This
> morning I made two loaves of the infamous eggnog bread with pecans,
> craisins, dried apricots, and dates. *One loaf is for a party tomorrow
> night, the other I gave to our neighbors. More will be baked.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Central Oregon has been a "winter wonderland" too. We're out in the
country and pretty much on our own - by the time the county gets
around to plowing our road the daffodils are blooming. One by one
most of our Christmas plans have been canceled because of the darned
weather.

DH finally put the chains on the minivan yesterday & we inched down
our hill to make an essential market & gift run. Every year, through
our volunteer fire dept, we "adopt" a different family upriver and I
wasn't about to let two little boys miss out on Santa presents and
Christmas dinner because of the weather. We deliver tomorrow
afternoon in the fire truck & I've gotta say, it's become a real high
point of our Christmas.

The economy has hit this area hard and a lot of good, hardworking
people have lost jobs they thought were secure. If I can put a smile
on a kids face and take a little pressure off a couple of parents, I'm
one happy elf.

Would love the recipe for your eggnog bread - sounds wonderful! Feel
like sharing?

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ntantiques > wrote:

> Would love the recipe for your eggnog bread - sounds wonderful! Feel
> like sharing?

I've posted this many times, but I'll repost it.

Eggnog Bread
(adapted from Southern Living)
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c. oil (original recipe specified melted butter or margarine, but I
don't notice the difference)
1 c. commercial eggnog (can use low fat)
1 1/2 c. combination of any of the following: walnuts, pecans, almonds,
raisins, currants, dried cranberries, dried apricots, dates, candied
cherries (I've never used hazelnuts, but they'd be worth a shot)

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in large mixing bowl; mix well. Add flour
mixture alternately with eggnog, beginning and ending with flour; blend
well. Stir in fruit and nuts.
Pour into greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3" pan. Bake at 350° 1
hour 10 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out and cool completely. 1 loaf.

It keeps snowing. We got 5" last night and a little bit of freezing
rain overnight. And it's snowing again. We managed to get to and from
last night's party courtesy of a fellow reveler's Subaru Forester.
Tonight's party, fortunately, is next door. I'm not sure if I'll be
able to get to work tomorrow. Bus service has been at a standstill
since Thursday. Snowshoes might be the preferred way to travel.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Eggnog Bread

Thanks very much, I'll try it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 2:14*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article
> >,*ntanti ques > wrote:
>
> > Would love the recipe for your eggnog bread - sounds wonderful! *Feel
> > like sharing?

> I've posted this many times, but I'll repost it.
>
> Eggnog Bread
> (adapted from Southern Living)
> 2 1/4 c. flour
> 2 tsp. baking powder
> 1 tsp. salt
> 3/4 c. sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1/4 c. oil (original recipe specified melted butter or margarine, but I
> don't notice the difference)
> 1 c. commercial eggnog (can use low fat)
> 1 1/2 c. combination of any of the following: *walnuts, pecans, almonds,
> raisins, currants, dried cranberries, dried apricots, dates, candied
> cherries (I've never used hazelnuts, but they'd be worth a shot)
>
> Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. *
> Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in large mixing bowl; mix well. *Add flour
> mixture alternately with eggnog, beginning and ending with flour; blend
> well. Stir in fruit and nuts.
> Pour into greased and floured 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3" pan. *Bake at 350° 1
> hour 10 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. *
> Cool in pan 10 minutes; turn out and cool completely. *1 loaf.
>
> It keeps snowing. *We got 5" last night and a little bit of freezing
> rain overnight. *And it's snowing again. *We managed to get to and from
> last night's party courtesy of a fellow reveler's Subaru Forester. *
> Tonight's party, fortunately, is next door. *I'm not sure if I'll be
> able to get to work tomorrow. *Bus service has been at a standstill
> since Thursday. *Snowshoes might be the preferred way to travel.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Cindy,

Thank you for posting the recipe - I'm going to give it a try - will
make a nice change. Have been storm watching & it sounds like anybody
north of Salem, OR is really getting slammed.

We lucked into major rain instead - what a difference a couple of
degrees can make. Made it into Eugene this afternoon for the (indoor)
Christmas Farmer's Market - is always great fun and I was afraid we'd
miss it this year. Bought nuts and dried fruit along with frozen
berries & a stunning dried floral wreath that was the bargain of the
century. My present from the cats this year. DH wandered off & am
hoping he snagged me a hand woven wool scarf I had my eye on.

Came home to find our power had been out for hours...Came back on just
as I finished lighting all the emergency candles. Guess we picked the
right afternoon to slog into town...

Enough with the white stuff already!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid wrote:

> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
> >Seattle has been having an abnormally cold and snowy week. We had about
> >5" of snow on Thursday on top of ice, and we're due to get more (and
> > snip>Cindy

> Golly As I look at the outside temp here (72.7) and sunny, I feel for
> you.

To my Upstate NY upbringing, this amount of snow looks utterly trivial.
However, snowplows would be toast on some of the steep hills hereabouts.
All of the bus routes that I could conceivably take to work are not
running today, so I'm home.

One advantage of the weather is the ability to play in the kitchen. I
made some applesauce yesterday with Jonagold apples. Said applesauce
and the aforementioned eggnog bread went to a party next door last
night. The only people who attended were those who could walk to the
house. After dinner, our one-block dead-end street was turned into a
sled run. Teenagers, grownups, and dogs alike took advantage of and
frolicked in the snow. My next door neighbor dug out her old waterproof
sailing overalls, which made her look like a fish chucker at Pike Place
Market. The SO took photos of the festivities, which were downloaded to
his laptop and subsequently shown on the flat screen TV (a decidedly
2008 touch to an otherwise old-fashioned party). Another advantage of
the weather is the ability to slow down and enjoy the company of family
and friends.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> I've posted this many times, but I'll repost it.

Following up, I made the eggnog bread this morning and it's great. Nice
high rise on the loaf, rich, but not too sweet flavor. Nice brown color
on the crust.

Good recipe; thanks again . . .

Truffles in the Northwest? merryb General Cooking 4 07-04-2011 12:38 AM
Truffles in the Northwest? ImStillMags General Cooking 0 06-04-2011 11:35 PM
Pacific Northwest Wines Bill S. Wine 3 02-07-2007 10:26 PM
Pacific Northwest BBQ JD Barbecue 14 03-05-2006 09:34 PM
Life In The Northwest Moosemeat General Cooking 2 06-08-2004 07:25 PM